IGNORED

So what's it worth??

Condor

Ya'll know me, and how I can't pass up a good buy. I ran across this auction with a '93 Verago that looks like it's in decent shape. Problem is it doesn't run due to no key. I think it was reposed?? Getting a new key cut and battery is not a problem, and I don't know if it's a 750 or 535?? I'm thinking of using it around town. Now the nitty gritty. I'm a pretty big boy. Will I look like King Faruk sitting on a barstool?? :whistling: Also what's your thinking on max bid??

http://www.westauction.com/auction/701/item/36836

That would be a 750 or 1100. Check with viragotech.com to check the vin code. I know some big guys that ride the virago with no problems. Forward controls help to make it More comfortable. Rod

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like it is an 1100. Cool..... Looks like it'll haul my FA around even better..... :)

I couldn't find it on the Virago board but did locate it here.

http://www.thevirago.co.uk/viragotechnical/viragovinbyyear.asp#1993

I ran the VIN and it is an 1100. Viragos are nice bikes. They are very reliable. They run a lot higher RPM at speed than the Royals do. They really need a 6th gear. I am constantly looking for 6th when I ride mine. They are air cooled V-twins and are a bit on the small side, frame wise. If you are taller than 5'8" to 5'9" you are going to feel a bit cramped up on one, unless you get forward controls for it. All in all a nice ride but, nothing compared to a Royal. I wouldn't give more than $750.00 for it since you can't verify that it runs out ok.

A great place for info and help with Viragos is http://viragotechforum.com

I have always thought that the Viragos are beautiful bikes. I've owned older 750 and 920 models years ago. I bought a 535 for my wife a few years ago but she didn't care the way it handled. When the new style like that '93 came out, I really thought I wanted one of them but after sitting on one, I realized that it would never work for me. It was the 1100 that I tried and I found that they are really small for an 1100. No way would it work for a tall rider.

I have always thought that the Viragos are beautiful bikes. I've owned older 750 and 920 models years ago. I bought a 535 for my wife a few years ago but she didn't care the way it handled. When the new style like that '93 came out, I really thought I wanted one of them but after sitting on one, I realized that it would never work for me. It was the 1100 that I tried and I found that they are really small for an 1100. No way would it work for a tall rider.

When exactly did that new style come out?

My buddy bought a 1986 1100 Virago brand new. It was the one with the gold plating and the factory faded paint job (not decals either) black with red/orange inlay. Nice bike ... I think he still has it but I haven't seen him for about 5 years now. Anyhoo, I rode that scoot one summer from Kamloops, Bc to Salt Lake City, over to Reno, Sacramento, up the Oregon coast and into Vancouver and back to Kamloops. It surely wasn't a slab burner but a nice ride all the same.

What would it hurt to call and ask if you were to bring them 5 - $100.00 bills, could you take it home today? :confused24:

:080402gudl_prv:

I wish I could, but it an auction scheduled to come up in a couple of weeks....

I really don't know when they came out. I'm talking about the style of the '93 being discussed here though. I felt like my knees were in my chest.

That may be a problem for me as well. I'll know for sure when I preview it. If it doesn't feel right I may buy it for resale. With gas prices starting climb up toward $5/gal anything that gets good mpg will sell for a premium in a few months...

rode my sons Virago 1100 for a while... 5'8" - was 250 at that time.

my daily driver is an 04 V* 1100.

Virago felt small to me but had plenty of get-up-n-go...

after a fresh rear tire - the dang Virago had a tendancy to point the front wheel skyward in the middle of an intersection ;-)

i'd say anything around $1k would be a decent buy...

The 1st generation Viragos came out in 81 and lasted through 83. 81 was only available in 750 cc and 82-83 were available in 750 and 920 cc. The 2nd generation (84-96) came out in 84. 84-85 were available in 700 and 1000 cc. In 86 the 1100 cc came out and the 1000 was dropped. The 700 was dropped and the 750 came back in 88. From then until 97 the 750 and 1100 were the only two made. The 1100 was the only offering from 98-99. All of these motors are the same external dimensions and can be interchanged in the frames with very little, if any, modification to the frame. I have an 89 1100 motor in my 82 750 frame.

There were also 125, 250, 400, 500, and 535 cc and a 920 chain drive model mixed in, but they were a completely different animal.

Edited by pofarm

I sold my '99 Virago 1100 last summer (bought it new in '99).

Great bike, solid motor, quality, and fast (like the 2nd Gen RSV !) I had been thinking of keeping it as a one-up bike but was using the RSV daily so finally gave it up. Sold it last summer for $3600 CDN. It was mint and looked like it had just come out of the show room. I took very good care of that bike.

One of the reasons I went with the RSV is that the seating/foot position is similar to the Virago and you won't find a more comfortable OEM seat on any similar bike. As for get-up-and-go...it is quick off the line and with two-up the fastest I had it going was 195km/h and there was still room for more !

As long as it was taken care of (oil changes and maintenance) you can't go wrong with the Virago.