IGNORED

What's speed will an MKII do redlined.

I seem to remember a story about some highway in the Prarie Provinces or in the States that has no limit????

Is that an urban myth or fact? Anyone know?

Montana did not have a speed limit once the 55MPH limit was done away with. They since had to establish a speed limit due to the accidents and speeds being reached. The police were seeing a lot of single vehicle accidents with multiple rollovers by the vehicle. They were becoming the place to run real fast and hard and didn't want to be that. I heard the story of a group of Porsche engineers being stopped for tailgating as they were cruising along in excess of 100mph drafting each other and weaving in and out of traffic.

Even when they had the 55mph, the speeding tickets were written as conservation tickets and didnt go on your record as a speeding ticket. Dont ask me how i found this one out..

I did make it back to Montana after the limit was removed and in a rental was able to cruise along at over 100mph but with others moving a lot slower you had to keep a keen eye out on the horizon for vehicles you would be coming upon.

I believe some other states didnt have limits but I am not sure of any at this time.

Hope that helps.

Rick F.

Attached is an excel spreadsheet that was developed by another member that I can't remember his handle, name is Rick Mengyan (I think).

It is in excel 2003 format.

Fields in brown can be changed to different bike transmissions & rear end gearing.

Tire size can be changed in upper right, by tire size or diameter.

Speed in each gear and 500 rpm increments is displayed on left side.

Picture below is only a screen capture of the excel spreadsheet, it can not be changed, only downlpading attached file will do that.

Per numbers on this chart & assuming a 140/90-16 tire speeds are as follows:

According to this fairly accurate chart, a certain West Virginia yarn spinner tale of 115mph in 3rd at redline is possible with a 21" rim diameter instead of the 16" most Ventures have.

:backinmyday: :rotfl:

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/MPHingears.jpg

Dingy, unless I am reading something wrong, my memory tells me that the RSV transmission ratio is slightly lower than the RSTD, especially in 4th and 5th. I do believe that when I was putting together the 2nd gen trans setup for the 1200 engine I have, I double checked the number of teeth on the gearset I bought to make sure it was an RSV version and with the data I had, and it was. I specifically wanted the RSV set because 4th and 5th was not as high geared as the RSTD.

Somewhere I have the numbers on each, but at the moment I can not find them. But, my memory is telling me that on the second page (range) of this data that the RSV and RSTD data is backwards.

RandyA

I just looked at our Venture history and it shows the RSTD to have the .750 5th gear which is what this data is showing the RSV to be. It is my understanding that one of the changes to improve power on the RSV was to lower the ratios, as on the RSTD, 5th gear is only good at higher speeds as it is geared so high.

Edited by Venturous Randy

Guys, 1st don't trust your speedo. Second, I have most of the magazine tests form WAY BACK. 5th was geared for approx 135 @ redline 4th was approx 110, and 3rd is 88mph at best. I do know if you are doing 3000rpm @ 54mph like me...then you are doing 18mph/ 1000 rpm...doing the math...says 18 x 7.5 = 135. Plus my dyno runs also confirmed these numbers as being pretty close. On the road, I have seen 7500 in 4th, and 6500+ in 5th. Given enough room, you can hit 7000 in 5th on a well tuned machine. Also I say approx., because slight difference in tire manufacturers do alter the gearing slightly. But these are the facts at redline for my '87 1300...I always believe my tach...speedo is just there to scare the simple-minded...:rotf:

Dingy, unless I am reading something wrong, my memory tells me that the RSV transmission ratio is slightly lower than the RSTD, especially in 4th and 5th. I do believe that when I was putting together the 2nd gen trans setup for the 1200 engine I have, I double checked the number of teeth on the gearset I bought to make sure it was an RSV version and with the data I had, and it was. I specifically wanted the RSV set because 4th and 5th was not as high geared as the RSTD.

Somewhere I have the numbers on each, but at the moment I can not find them. But, my memory is telling me that on the second page (range) of this data that the RSV and RSTD data is backwards.

RandyA

I just looked at our Venture history and it shows the RSTD to have the .750 5th gear which is what this data is showing the RSV to be. It is my understanding that one of the changes to improve power on the RSV was to lower the ratios, as on the RSTD, 5th gear is only good at higher speeds as it is geared so high.

You are correct Randy. I had the charts for the two bikes swapped.

I reloaded file in my post above & reattached it to this one in corrected format.

Now named 'Venture gear ratios rev B'

Thank You !!

Gary

Edited by dingy

even a 4th gear roll-on from 45mph, with an RSV is slower than my 1st gen '87 1300 in 5th, due to the lesser HP and higher gearing in 4th. When the RSV came out...I test road it many times. The Yamaha rep. was clear at saying both 4th and 5th are essentially over-drives because this is a "Harley like" bike. "Acceration was not the key to building it". Yamaha just want's to make a "better H--D. As proven by the 76 rwhp,where H-D even with their present 103" cube engines still don't push that hp. Yamaha just needs to put EFI on the Venture. Why would 21" rims make any difference? It's either geared a specific way or not. Charts are nice, but reality is what flies.

Edited by jasonm.

even a 4th gear roll-on from 45mph, with an RSV is slower than my 1st gen '87 1300 in 5th, due to the lesser HP and higher gearing in 4th. When the RSV came out...I test road it many times. The Yamaha rep. was clear at saying both 4th and 5th are essentially over-drives because this is a "Harley like" bike. "Acceration was not the key to building it". Yamaha just want's to make a "better H--D. As proven by the 76 rwhp,where H-D even with their present 103" cube engines still don't push that hp. Yamaha just needs to put EFI on the Venture. Why would 21" rims make any difference? It's either geared a specific way or not. Charts are nice, but reality is what flies.

Thank you Jason. I would tell them where they could put their charts & numbers but I promised I would be good.:whistling::whistling:

Why would 21" rims make any difference? It's either geared a specific way or not. Charts are nice, but reality is what flies.

The point to the 21" rims is a mechanical engineering reference. Yammer has said that his bike has done somewhere in the area of 115mph in 3rd gear.

I just rechecked the numbers in the gear calculator spreadsheet. In 3rd @ 7500rpm with a 140/90-16 tire (assuming new & full tread depth) speed would be 94.2mph. 8500rpm would be 106.7mph

I have no reason to say Dan is full of horse hockey, and he may very well have seen that happen, I personally think he lost count of the gear he was in when he saw that speed. I am sure he will post shortly to say that wasn't the case. 4th gear @ 7500 rpm would be 118.7mph.

To my knowledge Dan has a somewhat stock stable of Ventures, none that I am aware of that have a VMax modification to the heads that would allow a 10,000 rpm to be hit without the valve train coming apart. It would take about 9,200 rpm with a stock wheel in a stock Venture to hit 115mph.

Knowing that a stock Venture 1200 will start having valve float around 8,500 rpm's, it therefore seems the answer would lie in the somewhat farfetched possibility that Dan had a 21" wheel teleported onto the bike that allowed it to reach 115mph in 3rd gear.

This leads us back to the physics reference in the 1st paragraph. It would have taken a larger diameter tire for the bike to obtain that speed at 8500 rpm's. Reason being the larger diameter tire would cover more distance per RPM, thus allowing the higher speed with out Mr. Yammer having the valve train self destruct.

Love ya Dan, don't take this personal. But you do know the forum rules. No pictures, it didn't happen. I love a good campfire story as much as almost anyone.

Gary

not sure of redline top end but I do know that 2 up me and my wife.( 475 lbs betwen the 2 of us) and aproximately 60 lbs or so in the bags and trunk. I was catching and if aathere was a safe passing lane Inwould have passed the second gen running 2 up ( maybey 275 lbs betwwen them and his bags and trunk was empty) . I never looked at my speedo at that ratebut when we looked at riderdukes gps it said our top speed in that stretch was 118 . I was still in 4th and wasnt redlined but was close.

David

The point to the 21" rims is a mechanical engineering reference. Yammer has said that his bike has done somewhere in the area of 115mph in 3rd gear.

I just rechecked the numbers in the gear calculator spreadsheet. In 3rd @ 7500rpm with a 140/90-16 tire (assuming new & full tread depth) speed would be 94.2mph. 8500rpm would be 106.7mph

I have no reason to say Dan is full of horse hockey, and he may very well have seen that happen, I personally think he lost count of the gear he was in when he saw that speed. I am sure he will post shortly to say that wasn't the case. 4th gear @ 7500 rpm would be 118.7mph.

To my knowledge Dan has a somewhat stock stable of Ventures, none that I am aware of that have a VMax modification to the heads that would allow a 10,000 rpm to be hit without the valve train coming apart. It would take about 9,200 rpm with a stock wheel in a stock Venture to hit 115mph.

Knowing that a stock Venture 1200 will start having valve float around 8,500 rpm's, it therefore seems the answer would lie in the somewhat farfetched possibility that Dan had a 21" wheel teleported onto the bike that allowed it to reach 115mph in 3rd gear.

This leads us back to the physics reference in the 1st paragraph. It would have taken a larger diameter tire for the bike to obtain that speed at 8500 rpm's. Reason being the larger diameter tire would cover more distance per RPM, thus allowing the higher speed with out Mr. Yammer having the valve train self destruct.

Love ya Dan, don't take this personal. But you do know the forum rules. No pictures, it didn't happen. I love a good campfire story as much as almost anyone.

Gary

Now you want me to take pics of the Speedometer, Tach and gear Indicator at 120 MPH on a two lane country road???

NO.

Now you want me to take pics of the Speedometer, Tach and gear Indicator at 120 MPH on a two lane country road???

NO.

I suppose, that you don't want the Warden, to see any pics like that (for good reason). She would put you in the hospital herself, if you took any.

:2cents:

A couple of you have made reference to a top speed indication on GPS's.....Now I've only had experience with a couple of the less expensive GPS's----What brand(s) of GPS units have a top speed indication??

Frank D.

Most all GPS's show current speed over ground. I have a marine model that's 25 years old and it shows speed in knots, mph, or kph. As far as top speed, there is no limit... You'll burn up first.....:stirthepot: :whistling:

A couple of you have made reference to a top speed indication on GPS's.....Now I've only had experience with a couple of the less expensive GPS's----What brand(s) of GPS units have a top speed indication??

Frank D.

my cheap nuvi 255w has a top speed indicator. You have to go look for it but its there.

David

Yammer has said that his bike has done somewhere in the area of 115mph in 3rd gear

NO.

Ah campfire story keeps changing :think: Where's Charlie to get in on some of these story's :rotf:

:stirthepot:

Brad

Ah campfire story keeps changing :think: Where's Charlie to get in on some of these story's :rotf:

:stirthepot:

Brad

Needle had crossed 115 headed fast for 120. I didn't stop to watch or take pics with 35 mph curve coming up. I kind of wanted to know when I was.

Edited by Yammer Dan

• 3 weeks later...