IGNORED

Passing lights for the Venture???

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

I need some suggestions.......I wish to install a passing light kit or lights or whatever on my bike. I normally do not use them as I run on high beam with a modulator during daylight hours and in most states to have the passing lights on with the high beam is illegal. But I do get caught out after dark on occasion.....and would like to know.....what lights light up the road? I want something that will light up a football field!! I do not run heated clothing...and will have only one other accessory, a GPS.......So what lights are the most powerful......and where can I purchase them. Thanks

The new LEDs will work the best, but they cost.

I used a pair of 3.5 in round 'Driving' lights on my scoot from Wally's, $20.

They were 55w each & zero problems with using them whenever I was on the scoot. I also ran many other options with no problem, including hi-beam, ALWAYS. I want to be seen.

Also, you can get 35w bulbs for them, if you wish.

Kit,

Some of my friends who ride Gold Wings are running the PIAA 1100 series. They look like landing lights on a 747!! If you ride too slow, they will melt the asphalt in front of you.

But....they ain't cheap. Nothing compares, though. If you read reviews, there is nothing in their class.

Take a look: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/1100x.html

Joe

Guest KitCarson
Kit,

Some of my friends who ride Gold Wings are running the PIAA 1100 series. They look like landing lights on a 747!! If you ride too slow, they will melt the asphalt in front of you.

But....they ain't cheap. Nothing compares, though. If you read reviews, there is nothing in their class.

Take a look: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/1100x.html

Joe

I like these!! Melting the asphalt sounds good to me...I like the 35 degree cone.......will maybe show up those deer.......price.....hey not that bad versus a standard light kit and they are lifetime warranty. All you would have to do is buy a light bar....make some mounting plates out of brushed aluminum.......so far these sound pretty good, if nothing better shows up......will order a set next week.

So just looked carefully at the specs.......each lamp draws 55 watts......for a total of 110 watts.......guess have to let the wings have them. our Ventures do not have that good a charging system.

Guest KitCarson
Isn't it illeagal to run passing lamps on high beam ? I know it is in NC .

Besides I like the extra light when running lows .

BEER30

Yes as far as I know it is illegal to run passing lamps when on high beam. Thing is at night the modulator is naturally off.......and low beam and some landing lights will show up deer better as they have a wider beam than running on high. I would never have any use for them during the day as I run a modulator full time on high beam........night time and deer , and other hazards......I have always felt extra lights over running on high worked much better.....especially on a foggy rainy night.

Guest KitCarson

Years ago that is what the old Harley riders called them, and used them to pass with......with todays safety concerns we just use them on low beam all the time. They were originally designed for the limited light available on a motorcycle to increase visibility when passing other vehicles at night.....now days seems it has just carried on as a definition.

When I bought my Venture last month I had the dealer add passing lights; I am almost sure they installed them to turn on with the high beam. That was a Michigan dealer--haven't had it inspected or licensed yet in Ontario--anyone know if that will present a problem?

Guest tx2sturgis

Just so yall know, on the Harleys that come with the passing lights, they are factory wired to operate only when on Low Beam. There is a switch to turn them off, but they will not operate when your running high beams. Other countries have other regulations, but that is the only way they can be wired by DOT law in this country.

Now, some folks bypass that, of course, so all bets are off once the bike rolls off the showroom floor and gets modified. I left mine as is, I like the attention getting megaflash it makes when I switch from hi beam to low, to indicate I'm passing, or move over, or whatever.

I bought a pair of Kuryakn 20 watt mini lights, just havent mounted them on the Venture yet. When I do, I will wire the relay's trigger side to the low beam, same as my Harley. They will be off when Im on high beam.

Kit:

I do a TON of bike stuff scavaging for my bike building and grabbed a

set of Hondaline passing lights for 10 bucks a few years back.. I mounted them on my 1st Gen - they are awesome lights!! Only problem is I think to buy something like them now is way pricey too but my underpowered Venture stator seems to handle them ok..

Also,, I recently helped my Nephew install (ok,, I installed them and he watched hahaha) a new set of pass lamps w/blinks on his Stratoliner "S" that were wayyyyy awesome lights - something about the "prisim action" of the light really did make a difference in output,, I will have to ask what brand those were!! Seems that setup was in the $450 range (crazy if you ask me)..

Anyway, here is a shot of my Hondaline lights on my 1st Gen.. Aint this stuff fun!! No better way to start the new year eay bro!!

'Puc

Guest KitCarson
Kit:

set of Hondaline passing lights for 10 bucks a few years back.. I mounted them on my 1st Gen - they are awesome lights!! Only problem is I think to buy something like them now is way pricey too but my underpowered Venture stator seems to handle them ok..

Also,, I recently helped my Nephew install (ok,, I installed them and he watched hahaha) a new set of pass lamps w/blinks on his Stratoliner "S" that were wayyyyy awesome lights - something about the "prisim action" of the light really did make a difference in output,, I will have to ask what brand those were!! Seems that setup was in the $450 range (crazy if you ask me)..

Anyway, here is a shot of my Hondaline lights on my 1st Gen.. Aint this stuff fun!! No better way to start the new year eay bro!!

'Puc

Those are some nice looking lights Scott!!! Hate to admit it but that 1st Gen looks okay too!! I had to turn down the P1AA as they pull 55 watts each bulb......but do have a call in to Baron Custom, seems they build a specialty light just for the 2nd gen venture that has a high powered light also........thing is they could not tell me the wattage of the lights......and will be after NEW YEAR before anyone who actually works there can talk to me. They look nice......have the light and signal all built in together as a unit.........maybe.....if they are powerful enough, somewhat limited with the venture. If those do not work out .......I suppose I will buy some silver bullets and make a nice looking mount bar for them and take it down to the chrome shop and have them chrome it. Take Care Kit

I once had a pair of NightVision 100W driving lights fitted to a 1972 CB750 Honda 4. Needed them for the 'roos as I lived on a farm abour 20kms from town and used to finish late some nights. Saved my butt more than once.

Kit,

You can always change 55 watt lights down to 35, the naked eye isn't going to be able to distinguish the loss of luminens (sp?) I have the factory light bar on my '99 and just customized the lights a bit by hanging them below the main headlight. I have 35 watt sealed Halogens in them and they really put a large swath of light across the roadway.

Guest KitCarson
Kit,

You can always change 55 watt lights down to 35, the naked eye isn't going to be able to distinguish the loss of luminens (sp?) I have the factory light bar on my '99 and just customized the lights a bit by hanging them below the main headlight. I have 35 watt sealed Halogens in them and they really put a large swath of light across the roadway.

I might do that......thanks.....waiting to see what wattage the fancy Baron Custom ones are.......their website does not explain a lot, wattage.....do they come as a pair...or is each light $250 dollars.......will most likely make a light bar when I get to it......move the lights out just a bit more keep them away from the fairing......then would not have to mess with them to occasionally spit the fairing........so many options at the moment....the only thing I know I do not want are the set in the box in the garage....they are sealed beam ones.........not a whole lot of light. The P1AA also have a black colored mounting bracket...anonized aluminum ??? Going to keep this bike and put a lot of chrome on it.......not sure if you can chrome aluminum......like Scott said, bikes are fun....if you are not riding them,,,you are fixing them!! Or planning on something else.

Guest KitCarson
Kit,

Aluminium (Aussie spelling) chromes very nicely, thank you very much.

Hi Doc! I will keep that in mind this coming week when everyone gets back to normal and I come up with some kind of idea. As for spelling I am hopeless:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Have been to your country several times........it is cold enough around here this morning , I would not mind a trip to the coast again.

But glad to know aluminium will take chrome.....got to call PIAA and see about and what kind of bulbs (35 watts each) can or will fit in the housings. Thanks

Kit

Kit:

'Puc

Cowpuc,

I really like the placement and the look of your setup. Can you tell me where you got the mounting bar for those lights?

Yes as far as I know it is illegal to run passing lamps when on high beam. Thing is at night the modulator is naturally off.......and low beam and some landing lights will show up deer better as they have a wider beam than running on high. I would never have any use for them during the day as I run a modulator full time on high beam........night time and deer , and other hazards......I have always felt extra lights over running on high worked much better.....especially on a foggy rainy night.

Well, that explains why the dealership hooked up my passing lamps the way they did. They didn't install a "toggle" switch, they are on all the time with the low beams. When you switch to the high beams they shut off. I use to like to run in the daytime with the high beam on, but can't now if I want to run the passing lamps.

The new LEDs will work the best, but they cost.

I used a pair of 3.5 in round 'Driving' lights on my scoot from Wally's, $20.

They were 55w each & zero problems with using them whenever I was on the scoot. I also ran many other options with no problem, including hi-beam, ALWAYS. I want to be seen.

Also, you can get 35w bulbs for them, if you wish.

Have a pic of them mounted?

Guest KitCarson

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_16635_150.jpg Buy Now from CruiserCustomizing

Part Number: BA-3006-00 In Stock Usually ships within 1 business day

Holiday schedules of our suppliers may affect some shipping estimates.

MSRP: $299.95

Price: $249.95 + Free Shipping* http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/graphics/onsale.gif

Hurry, sale ends 01/02/08

Add a free key chain to your order.

Why buy from CruiserCustomizing?

- Satisfaction Guarantee

- No Hassle Returns

- Free Shipping Specials

- Exceptional Customer Service

- Thousands of Happy Customers

http://images.scanalert.com/meter/www.cruisercustomizing.com/12.gif This is what I decided to go with. Took a bit to finally find out what wattage there were and some other questions I had. I will run the signal to the existing signal wires...and run a new wire and relay/fuse direct from the battery for the halogen 50 watt each running lights.....this should light up quite a patch of road.....or melt a little asphalt!!!

These are made to slip right into the existing factory light bar ends.....and will clear the fairing in a manner once you get them adjusted , you do not have to bother them to spit the fairing......and they are the most powerful I dare try on the Venture......and if they bring problems, I can change the bulbs.......no light bar needed......no fabrication.......just use what is there. Neat deal!!!

Cowpuc,

I really like the placement and the look of your setup. Can you tell me where you got the mounting bar for those lights?

Sure not a problem. We had a big Honda dealer in town doing a "yard sale" while cleaning out his backroom.. The guy that owns the place is a business aquaintance - I offered him 10 bucks for the complete setup and he sold it to me.. The bar/lights/wiring and all are Hondaline stuff that all came together - I believe it may have been a display unit that he had left over from years back. The tag was marked "Magna 750" - I am assuming (you guys all know what that word means - it can make an "ass" out of "U" and "me" so be careful if your gonna order one) by my memory of the early model Magnas that this is the bike it was built for - like the 1983 model.. I did NO modifications to the bar or mounting plate - didnt want to do any damage to the chrome.

THANKS to all for the compliments,, I know that was hard for you Kit hahahahahahahahaha :whistling:

'Puc