IGNORED

Daughter Getting Cut on this Morning - ACL

RedRider

My daughter is getting ACL surgery this morning. Just dropped her off at the hospital (and sat with here until she was wheeled into the OR) and came home to take care of the dogs and get a shower. Will be back there in an hour to see how the surgery went. My wife is hanging out at the hospital in case anything is needed.

She blew her ACL playing basketball. May have screwed her for a D1 volleyball scholarship, but that is just a minor issue now. She should be back up and playing in 6 months or so.

With me having been through this surgery (twice), I know it is a tough row to hoe. But she is young and in shape and should recover quickly. She will be very devoted to the physical therapy routine to affect a complete recovery.

Still, we always worry. Wish she didn't have to go thru this. It is her senior year in HS and was doing so well in both VB (went to state finals the last 3 years) and BB. However, she is a great student and a wonderful daughter. This is but a minor setback in the long run.

A short prayer is always welcome.

RR

Jeff,

Real sorry to hear that your little girl has injured herself and is in surgery. We always hate to have our kids in pain, but like you said, she is in good shape and young and resilient.

I hope is all goes well for her today.

My thoughts will be with her.

Steve

Sorry to hear that Jeff. We will keep her and the family in our prayers.

I sure would like to know what is going on with our young people. So many getting hurt and ending up in surgery for joint damage or tendons or mussels. Are their joints weaker now a days or is it something we are eating or not eating ? I do not understand. But it just seems that so many are having problems like this. I thought that I sent this reply this morning, but evidently I typed it and forgot to confirm. Hope all is well.

Thanks all for the kind thoughts and prayers. She made it successfully through surgery. There was a little more damage to the meniscus that was expected, but it was all cleaned up. 6 weeks with no pressure/weight on the knee (no driving). Because of the extra damage, the 6 month rehab stint will likely be a little closer to 1 year. She will likely have to miss this volleyball this fall. Bummer.

However, in the long run, she will be fine. I just hate seeing her well crafted plan get derailed like this. She has worked so hard on her game and is a great athlete. She is also a great student and a wonderful daughter.

Daddy is proud of her.

RR

Thanks all for the kind thoughts and prayers. She made it successfully through surgery. There was a little more damage to the meniscus that was expected, but it was all cleaned up. 6 weeks with no pressure/weight on the knee (no driving). Because of the extra damage, the 6 month rehab stint will likely be a little closer to 1 year. She will likely have to miss this volleyball this fall. Bummer.

However, in the long run, she will be fine. I just hate seeing her well crafted plan get derailed like this. She has worked so hard on her game and is a great athlete. She is also a great student and a wonderful daughter.

Daddy is proud of her.

RR

Glad all went well Jeff. I thank God that he watched over her.

Nice to have children to be proud of. I have a daughter also that I am very proud of. She is working at the hospital and finishing her college. Now if you can just keep her from over doing it and hurting herself while healing.... Good luck with that. She will be wanting to go-go-go.

I am so glad to hear that surgery went well and she will recover with PT and no lasting damage. Being a senior is a big time in her life as well as yours. It's great to hear about parents that have children to be proud of these days. What are her plans for the future - where is she looking to go to college? I'll keep her in my prayers.

Daddy is proud of her.

RR

You should still be proud of her. My niece is going through almost the same thing, only not as severe. She got almost a complete full ride to a smaller college in the dakotas. She chose it because it is a smaller school and a christian/private school as well. During summer basketball camp she got taken out during a rebound and messed up her knee. She tried rehabbing all summer, and did make it through volleyball season. Although it was apparent something was still wrong. Immediatley after V-ball she had the knee scoped and cleaned out. The damage wasnt as severe as they thought. All the tissue behind the kneecap was so inflamed, it wouldnt let the knee cap move at all. They had to shave out a bunch of tissue behind the knee cap. It will eventually grow back. She is just getting back into basketball after more rehab. Luckily she can still play with no major damage.

Your daughter will be fine. She is definately not a quitter to get that far. Heck if D1 isnt in the cards anymore. There are still lots of colleges that can use a quality player, and will give a really nice scholarship to play. She can still get alot of college paid for, and still get to follow her dream. Its just a bit of a different road to get to the same place!