IGNORED

RSTD Tires

Phoneman1981

Hello Everyone: As most of you know, our 05 RSTD was heavily smoke damaged about a year ago. While it was in the shop for restoration, I decided to have new tires installed. The PO had Metzler 880's on it. I did not do any research. I trusted my dealer to guide me. He installed Dunlop 404's. $611 total for tires and labor. We enjoyed 7,000 miles of two up riding last year. I noticed yesterday while installing new pipes that the rear tire is worn more than I expected. I am not unhappy. $300 for an entire season of fun is cheap entertainment. I guess I expected the tire to last more than one season?? I see by many other posts that 7-12K is the norm? I might be able to go another $2500 miles, but really do not want to risk it. What are your thoughts, experiences and suggestions on brand, size etc. I appreciate your input. I have read good things about E3's. Thanks in advance

I had the Dunlops a couple of years ago. We ride 2 up alot. I only got 6000 out of the rear. I switched to the Avons and I am on my third rear now. I have never gotten less than 14000 on them.

The Avons will cost more up front but not in the long run.

You might also think about going to Dunlop E3's. I'm running them on the '99 and like them. I've only put about 4,000mls on them, but they don't show any sugnificant wear. Bought them from Jake Wilson for around $225, and the local Y dealer installed them for $90.. ON THE BIKE!! So $315 total is a heck of a lot better then the $600 for the 404's

Assorted notes:

I put D404s on my 650. I got them off of it as soon as I could justify spending the money. Hated the ride and the wear rate.

My "new" RSTC came with E3s. I'm curious to see how long they last, 2500 miles and counting.

My first ME with the local VRO group, my 650 was one of only two bikes that DIDN'T have Venoms on it.

As for paying $600 for tires and mounting? Well they do call them "stealerships"!

When I had my Venture I had 18000 miles on them and they were worn but still looked great..I liked Avons better,by a very liitle bit, but with the cracking issues some had I got a little leary of them. I wouldnt put Metz 880s on my Dachsunds feet though...yea yea some are having good luck but at 1700 miles and chunks of rubber started throwing off the rear..NO THANKS.

I am running Avons on my RSTD, although its mostly 1up. They run much better than the Bridgestones I replaced. I went with the 130 width front tire and feel the handling is much better at slow speed and in the twisty mountain roads. Only about 8,000 on the rear tire and 5,000 on the front, but not much wear yet.

If getting an Avon be sure to get the H rated tire, not the V rated which I mistakenly did. While the V has a higher speed rating (and is for the VMax) Avon says its a softer rubber compound than the H rated tire and the V won't get as many miles out of it.

i went to the dealer for tires and was quoted a high price also i told him that i could get the tires thru several different mail order places and even showed him a quote i had on the net he then said he would match that price which was 275 dollars lower then his org.quote so it pays to question them and no need to get ripped off even if you thought you trusted the dealer they are in it for the money , better in my pocket then theirs my 2 cents worth, steve:Venture:

My next go-round on my RSTD will probably be:

Front - Avon Venom (stock size) - best grip ok on miles

Rear - Dunlop E3 - good grip, best on miles

And, that might put me a little closer to changing at the same time.

But for $600 for a pair of Dunlop 404,,, he didn't do you any favors.

I know alot of my fellow members do not seem to be fond of Metzler 880's, but I had great luck with mine. 8500 miles and not completely gone but I just ordered two more. was on another bike with dunlop elite 3 and and didnt feel they gripped anywhere near the grip my Metzlers have. Just one guys opinion.

I hit a deer last year with the wife on the back of the bike. Managed to keep it upright but it took out the front end. When we got it back from the shop they had put on a new set of 404s. They are the worst tires I have ever had. As they barely lasted the summer I switched over to Avon’s and love them. Glad I never had the 404s on when I hit the deer!

I put a set of Metezler 880's on my 05 RSTD at 10,300 and now have right at 33,000 on bike. Ride 2 up periodically. I wouldn't change a thing, getting that kind of mileage out of tires. Paid 425 turn key.

Happy Trails, Ride Safe

What are you running for air pressure to get that kind of mileage?

I have been reading posts about tires since I had been a member. I have finally decided to make a comment about this. I have an 07 RSTD with the stock Bridgestones on it. I have 7500 miles on the bike with still plenty of treadlife left. I don't see a problem at all with these tires. Please enlighten me as to what advantages I am missing changing to these other tires. Sooner or later these will wear down and need to be replaced. Thank you in advance.

I had avons ok my 84 wing and loved the wat the bike handled.This 96rstc had a worn rear and a new front BS.....ooops I mean Bridgestone. I didnt feeeel good enough about the rear so I replaced it with stock after the first 100 miles.I hate the way it feels like its sliding in the twisties and the rear has been locked up a few times in the 6000 miles I have owned her.

I can't afford to replace new tires nor can I convince the wife. So I'm trying to each up the miles in order to change them

• 2 weeks later...

It appears to me that the OEM 150/90 HR15 for the RSTD is bit hard to find? From internet application charts it looks like Tire Size:MV85B15 is what is offered now? I found Avon Venom "H" rated and also Elite 3's for about the same $192 What do you think? Dealer other than the Yamaha dealer offered to install the new tire (on the bike) and grease the splines for $50. Your input is appreciatated. Thanks

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone: This is an old post but I had more info to add. I eventually purchased new E3's from Performance Cycles while I was in Denver at the beginning of last season. Very happy with them so far. Another riding season is almost here. Hoping to attend a PGR ride with Patrolman46 this coming Friday. Sunny and 55 predicted. 150-200 mile ride.

While doing tax prep a few days ago, I ran accross a receipt from my Yamaha dealer for the $600 check that I remember writing. I am embarressed. I completely forgot that while my bike was in the shop for new tires, the dealer also installed my new driving lights. That alone was $300. So I actually got the Dunlop 404's for a fair price of $300. I regret my error. Getting older and can't remember S**t. Wanted to set the record straight. :)