IGNORED

Ok so Im beating a dead horse. But Im ready to upgrade my seat

muaymendez1

What seat is best, quality vs value. What shoudl I go with 355 lb rider 170 pass  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What seat is best, quality vs value. What shoudl I go with 355 lb rider 170 pass

• Corbin
    • Mustang
    • Ultimate
    • Russel day long
    • Other option

This has been an issue for me since I purchased the bike in feb of 2011. the seat is just unbearable. I was planning on sending it to Butler to have it modded but the owner before me made some mods to the seat pan.

Time has come( Tax return and bonus season) to set my sights on an aftermarket seat that will be comfortable for my wife and I.

We dont do extensive trips but we dont want to hurts after 100 miles. I would like to ride 400 and not think twice about riding again the following day.

Id liek some pros and cons from those that have Mustang, Corbin, Ultimate and although russel day long doesnt have one currently for the 96 rstc Id still like some feedback

as it is now I am turning away from corbin because I have sat on a few and the seat I found very hard, although no soreness. i still would like someting a lil plush.

I have a Corbin with back rest...I'm about 330 lbs and g/f is about 140...Stock seat was not doing it...Corbin is much harder and has a break in period where it will conform to your butt...Softer is not better for support...I can ride 200 miles and my butt feels like I rode 50 on the stock...Only complain from the g/f is she slides forward a bit on the leather...Other than that no complaints at all...Hope this helps...

IMHO -

Stock seat without any extra padding - 100 to 200 miles per day - tops

Stock seat with ButtButler mod - 200-300 miles per day

Stock seat with good extra padding (AirHawk) - 300-400 per day

Corbin seat - 300-500 per day if you can get used to the hardness

Ultimate seat - no experience

Mustang seat - no experience

Russel Day Long - 1000+ miles per day, every day, ad infinitum

Not surprisingly, the dollars escalate with this list. This list is just my experience and everyone's will vary. This is also the progression I went thru to finally get to the Russel.

What is causing you trouble? The butt bones or the tailbone? Different solution for each.

RR

Seats are that very personal opinion - where you may receive many.

I originally had mine redone by http://www.rickmayercycle.com/ - 200% improvement over my stock seat. After couple of years, I still wanted something better, and Rick Butler greatly improved the Mayer upgrade.

Even though the previous owner did some mods, my opinion would be talk to Rick Butler first for the ButtButler mod - and see if he can help you. He does awesome work. He turns them around quickly, for a fair price (especially for the quality of work he does!!). IF that doesn't initially work, I would suggest talking to Russell. Their seat is wider - but specifically built for riding all day. Good luck.

The stock seat on my6 05 RSTD was uncomfortable after 50 miles. I tried a Mustang for a short time and parking lot tested an ultimate, however those seats changed my riding stance and I could not touch flat footed with a 30 inch inseam. I had Rick Butler modify my stock seats and we have rode as much as 465 miles on one given day with no issues. Rick's mod is well worth the money.

I have a Corbin Dual Tour seat on a '96, like yours. I really like it. I kept hearing about a long break in time with these, but this seat fit me from day one. I can ride 400 miles on it and get up and ride the next day. I've done it. For fun one day, I put the stock seat back on and went for a long ride, and my bum was killing me after one hour and I wished I had not taken such a long ride on it. This seat is great if you're taller, like 6' or more. This seat will set you a little higher and a little further back on the bike. Note that Corbin also makes a two piece seat for this bike, which I think sets you in the bike differently than the Dual Tour one piece. I think it sets you lower than stock, but I'm not sure. Backrests are available for either set, and I use one most of the time. I'd buy this seat again.

What seat do you have on there now? That's not a stock one that I see in your pictures. I'm thinking Mustang?

Edited by pegscraper

IMHO -

Stock seat without any extra padding - 100 to 200 miles per day - tops

Stock seat with ButtButler mod - 200-300 miles per day

Stock seat with good extra padding (AirHawk) - 300-400 per day

Corbin seat - 300-500 per day if you can get used to the hardness

Ultimate seat - no experience

Mustang seat - no experience

Russel Day Long - 1000+ miles per day, every day, ad infinitum

Not surprisingly, the dollars escalate with this list. This list is just my experience and everyone's will vary. This is also the progression I went thru to finally get to the Russel.

What is causing you trouble? The butt bones or the tailbone? Different solution for each.

RR

The but bones hurt now but I was having problems with the tail bone but found that it was the seat pan irritating me.,

Its so bad that after one day of riding i park the bike for a week.

I have a Corbin Dual Tour seat on a '96, like yours. I really like it. I kept hearing about a long break in time with these, but this seat fit me from day one. I can ride 400 miles on it and get up and ride the next day. I've done it. For fun one day, I put the stock seat back on and went for a long ride, and my bum was killing me after one hour and I wished I had not taken such a long ride on it. This seat is great if you're taller, like 6' or more. This seat will set you a little higher and a little further back on the bike. Note that Corbin also makes a two piece seat for this bike, which I think sets you in the bike differently than the Dual Tour one piece. I think it sets you lower than stock, but I'm not sure. Backrests are available for either set, and I use one most of the time. I'd buy this seat again.

What seat do you have on there now? That's not a stock one that I see in your pictures. I'm thinking Mustang?

Im pretty sure it is stick.

i have seen this seat on others of the same year.

the corbin and mustang are comperably priced.

the russel is the one that breaks the bank but im willing to spen a lil extra for the right comfort.

Yes, it is a popular seat, but I'm certain it's not stock. Have you checked under the seat pan for a sticker or something to identify it? If there's a Yamaha sticker under it, then it is a two piece Corbin after all. Yamaha did sell some accessory seats with their name on it but made by Corbin.

Theres's a guy from Florida on Ebay that occassionally posts an auction.. more of an ad.. for rebuilding Venture saddles. I just searched and couldn't find anything at the moment. But... I did save his pictures for the RSV and the RSTD. They are attached. It looks like the TD saddle doesn't sit as deep as the RSV. It might be an illusion, but I've studied them closely and I don't think so. I just had Rick mod my pillow top, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. I sorta go into hybernation along with the bike for the winter months. However, if I find I still need help, I just may ask to see if he could do a TD over an RSV pan. Since I only ride solo it's just the saddle that needs to be smoozed.

I have a Corbin on my Ninja and I really like it. 300 miles on a sport bike and I can keep going. In contrast, the Beast has a very soft and plush seat. I start have 'butt burn' in less than 200 miles.

The two forums that I visit seem always have the same comments on the Corbin . . . firm, too hard, and perfect. Reading between the lines has made me believe the difference tends to be the weight of the rider. Those riders over 200 lbs generally seem to like the Corbin. Riders under 200 lbs complain it is too hard. This fits my experience (250 lbs). My stock Ninja seat would slowly compress until my butt was on the seat pan. The Corbin does not compress as much and I always have padding.

:)

I'm sort of a small guy about 5'6" and 185 lbs. Didn't care that much for my stock pillow-top seat when I bought the bike, so I sent it to Rick Butler to work his magic. I never felt any butt burn with the stock seat, it just never felt comfortable. After getting it back from Rick, I can ride all day with no issues. Actually the only shortcoming I've found with the seat is on hot day's it's warm and the ol' butt sweats a bit. This is only a minor complaint and probably the only way to address it is switching to a cloth seat, and I'm not interested in doing that.

Actually the only shortcoming I've found with the seat is on hot day's it's warm and the ol' butt sweats a bit. This is only a minor complaint and probably the only way to address it is switching to a cloth seat, and I'm not interested in doing that.

Try a sheepskin cover. Allows ventilation in the summer, adds and extra degree of cushioning and keeps your tail feathers warmer if you happen to ride in cold weather. Just remember to pull it off or cover it if it rains. It takes forever to dry (Don't ask how I know!).

What color is the seat pan?

The seat pan is black and has been cut. i was hoping to send it off to rick but THE SEAT PAN IS DAMAGED.

If this is a corbing then i will have to choose another route.

i will be contacting corbing and ruseel in the next few weeks to see if they have a showroom of some sort near me so that i can sit on a few before deciding.

As i said before My buddy has a goldwing as did I . He purchased teh corbin for his bike also telling the company to sit 1 inch higher and 2 inches back . They made the seat as he wanted and he was very happy.

I rode that bike and also was very happy.

the problem with this seat is that i have a wide rear and the edge of the seat dig into my cheeks, also the rear of the seat raises which for a thinner guy may give back support but on me it was rubbing on my tail bone. Ive tried sitting fore and aft .

Look down in the description where it says that is an aftermarket seat. That is the seat made by Corbin for Yamaha. They have black seat pans that are very heavy and strong. The seats that came on these from the factory had white seat pans that are very flimsy and don't have much support at all. This is a factory seat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-Yamaha-XVS13-XVS1300-Royal-Star-Seat-Pan-Pad-Cover-/380389553500?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5890fbf55c#ht_1409wt_955

You, my friend, already have a Corbin seat. So since you don't like that one, you've eliminated one option already.

Here is the Dual Tour seat like I have (however this particular one is not for our model). From the way I've heard their two piece seats described, I know this sets differently than them. But the only way you can really know what you think is to sit on one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-ROYAL-STAR-VENTURE-DUAL-TOURING-SEAT-/380340848423?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item588e14c727#ht_961wt_955

Edited by pegscraper

Ok So i stand corrected. learn something new.

So the corbin is not a good choice for me although looking at the dual touring seat . it looks like a better option..

I have been looking at the russel day long but it seems they need the seat pan which is damage, in order to build on top of it.

they use your seat pan as a aplatform.

So now Im narrowing it down to saddleman or mustang.

Edited by muaymendez1

This is my seat experience for what it's worth. I ride a 2005 RSTD, I bought used in Feb 06. It had on it at that time a Mustang 2 piece seat w/rider back.rest. it was comfortable enough, a little but burn after 200-250 miles, but could do 400 in a day and be fine the next day. I thought the seat pushed too close to the tank because of the way the hardware for the backrest was built into the seat.

Sold it and rode the stock Yamaha seatz for a season. Better spacing from the tank, but 150 was max before needing a break. About 300 a day was my limit and 2 days was OK, more was agony.

Bought a corbin dual tour saddle (1 piece) and found it the most comfortable so far for short rides (150 or less). Longer rides were similar to stock seat, with the same milti day limit for me.

Bought a Russel day long saddle. 2 and half riding seasons later and I still think it is the best thing I have done with/for the bike. Over the summer I did 7 500+ days in a row. shortest day was 10 hours, longest was 14.5 hours (I take my time). Never any but burn, only need to stop has been for gas or bathroom breaks.

The wife found. The Mustang seat comfortable but had similar limits for range as did I.

She did not particularly like the stock seat.

The Corbin was uncomfortable for her and we bought a gel pad, just so she could ride for more the 45 minutes.

The Russel day long has been great for her. I have felt a wobble in the bike a few times since getting the Russel saddle, but the wobble goes away when I smack the wife's leg to wake her up. Not kidding, the first time she actually fell forward onto my back.

My only minor complaint with the Russel saddle is the riders back rest. It is great and I use it often on long rides, but I can never seem to adjust it, so it is just right. I should say though that I never got any other rider back rest just right either. The Russel back rest has been the best, so maybe I am expecting too much.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Edited by P-roy

I tried stock (60-100 miles), Buttler Mod (150-200 miles), Mustang (300+ miles except in extreme heat).

Then I mixed 2 common solutions to butt numbness and butt sweats. I made a wooden bead-sheepskin seat cover. Using two $6 sheepskin washmitts, a $8 bead seat cover (commonly used by Pakistani cab drivers who seem to stay in the seat all day with no problem), and some padded non-slip drawer pad. I used some heavy duty thread to sew it all together. In the heat of the Summer, I rode 9 hours straight at mostly over 100 degrees without numbness or sweating issues. The mustang seat is firm and my seat cover stays on top of it allowing nice airflow between the beads. Now it's hard to ride without it.

Get some weed-eater string to line the beads.- (I think I got that idea on this site.)

http://i40.tinypic.com/35mqn0x.jpg