IGNORED

Cheap Heated Gloves

Midrsv

My wife gave me a pair of battery powered heated gloves for Christmas. I had my eye on a pair of Gerbing battery powered gloves for $199 but thought they were a bit expensive so I didn't put them on my list. So I was surprised to open up a pair from Hammacher Schlemmer. I was really skeptical when I heard they were only $25. I went for about a 15 mile ride this evening after dark with temperatures in the mid to upper 30's and I must report that my hands and fingers were quite toasty. They have a battery pack on the back of each one that holds 4 AA batteries and they are supposed to work for 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low. For insulation they use 40g Thinsulate. Even with the power off they are quite warm. I don't know how long they'll last but I think they were worth $25.

Here's the link.. http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73123.asp

DT

That's a pretty cool catalogue. Lots of interesting stuff.

I might just have to get me a pair of the gloves. Interesting that they could be hooked up to the bikes electric.

I'll probably have a hard time keeping the fish slime off of them though:whistling:

thanks,

Steve

Just buy a good set of rechargable batteries and they should last a lot longer. I know on my camera equipment that my external flash will last 3X longer over just regular alklines. The cost of the batteries and chargers has come down over the past couple of years. I have them in everything around the house. All the remotes, clocks ect...

Bvinson,

I'm with ya on the batteries!

Rechargable is the only way to go. Because of what I do, I got involved in the 15 min. rechargable program and made parts for them, and let's just say that I have an ample supply, and they do last at least 3 times as long.

I was out ice fishing yesterday, and was thinking of them gloves.:)

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

DT, have you had opportunity to use these any more? Are you still liking them?

Me too,,,,Im interested in knowing if your happy with the results..

Heck, doesnt matter though... I already pordered a pair and they should be here today or Monday. Mine will use the D -cell size batteries.

I ordered a pair of gloves and a pair of battery heated socks...!

Me too,,,,Im interested in knowing if your happy with the results..

Heck, doesnt matter though... I already pordered a pair and they should be here today or Monday. Mine will use the D -cell size batteries.

I ordered a pair of gloves and a pair of battery heated socks...!

You buy them to use on the bike?

Jerry

You buy them to use on the bike?

Jerry

Why heck yea Boo..

I tell ya, that ride to Atlanta last weekend about froze my damn pinkies off...my toes were getting just as cold...

PS:

One glove takes only "ONE" size D battery, not four...

One sock takes only "ONE" size D battery , not four...

total batteries will be four...two socks two gloves...supposed to last up to 14 hours constantly on, but I really think I will get more hours since I can turn them off when I stop and get off the bike. I am also lookng for a 12 volt (Size D) battery charger....hook it up directly to the bike and only turn it on when I need to recharge the batteries for the gloves and socks..when on a "cold" trip..

My wife got me some of those battery 'lectrik gloves for Christmas too. They are going back on Tuesday. My hands were numb after a 60 mile ride in upper 30's temps. Maybe I'm just a wimp? lol.... Probably got a defective pair since they were not very warm at all even on high.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you guys. I did try the gloves on a 30 minute ride at about 30 degrees. My fingers and hands stayed warm. They seem to warm the back of your hand and I couldn't say I felt any heat in the fingers. They don't get hot, just a bit warm. Each glove takes 4 AA batteries. I don't know how they would be on a really long ride yet. But for the money, they are OK. I wouldn't spend much more on them.

DT

PS:

One glove takes only "ONE" size D battery, not four...

One sock takes only "ONE" size D battery , not four...

total batteries will be four...two socks two gloves...

I'm missing something. You say they take a single D. DT and also their website link above say they take four AAs. Did you get different gloves? Or are the four AAs run in parallel and you modifed them to take a single D instead? :confused24: Fill me in a little bit please.

I bought the Gloves and Socks. My Gloves take 4AAs, Socks Take D. I haven't tried them out yet.

I'm missing something. You say they take a single D. DT and also their website link above say they take four AAs. Did you get different gloves? Or are the four AAs run in parallel and you modifed them to take a single D instead? :confused24: Fill me in a little bit please.

I'm missing something. ..... Fill me in a little bit please.

Pegscraper, your getting confused my friend..

Sawhorse bought the gloves that take (4) size AA batteries..

I purchased the gloves and socks that take (1) size D cell battery.

Here is what I purchased:

Item: 3695182Description: NOR Lectra Sock - Heated, Grey/Black, Extra Large

Quantity: 1 @ $19.99

Shipping Method: Economy Ground

Leaves warehouse in 1-2 full business days.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1835536&cp=1905685&sr=1&origkw=battery+heated+socks&kw=battery+heated+socks&parentPage=search&searchId=22365699323

Item: 1602544

Description: NOR Lectra Heated Glove, Black, Extra Large

Quantity: 1 @ $29.99

Shipping Method: Economy Ground

Leaves warehouse in 1-2 full business days.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1836734&cp=&sr=1&origkw=battery+heated+gloves&kw=battery+heated+gloves&parentPage=search&searchId=22365757753

Sub-Total: $ 49.98

Shipping: $ 4.99

Order Total: $ 54.97

If you place an order and are asked for a score card number you can use mine..

Score Card Number: 305885779899

Name is : Eck Nace

I bought a pair of Warm and Safe heated gloves for $125.00, Warm and Safe heated socks for $50.00, and a dual portable heat-troller for $100.00 and so far it is been the best cold weather investment I have made. Took 10 minutes to connect to the bike and being able to control the exact amount of heat to the gloves and the socks separately is absolutely wonderful.

I really considered battery gloves and socks, but for the most part they are on or off and then there is the problem with batteries.

The gloves have heating elements that cover the back of the hand as well as the fingers and double elements around the thumbs. The socks have elements all around the foot, over and under the toes. I use a pair of thin dress socks under the heated socks to cushion the heating elements on the bottom of my feet.

I did have to return the gloves because they ran a tad small and I needed a bigger size, but the new ones will be sent out Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife rides horses, and they don't quit when it gets cold! She uses these heat packs for feet and hands, and I have started taking them for use when I ride on cold days on my royale.

Each pack of two is about a buck, and they last 8-10 hours.

I put one on top of each foot over the toes, and one in each glove. Keeps me pretty nice down to about 35 degrees so far.

I may buy a set of the battery gloves. Some gloves have heating elements on the hand AND fingers, and some just on the hand. My fingers are what need the heat though, so if you guys have these $25 gloves, do they really help with your fingertips?

I tried the battery heated gloves by Hammacker Schlemmer while fishing on a cold day here in Woodstock Ga. and they don't really heat the fingers but..........my hands didn't really get cold but I would like the fingers to be toasty. I did have them on high and they never seemed to get hot.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_2_110.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxmk393BBUS

I was looking around for glove solutions, and found these heated glove LINERS that seem like a good idea. Heat the fingertips which is better than the palm or back of the hand to my mind.

http://www.vaso.tv/sport_northamerica.html

Not bad at $80 including one set of batteries, no controller needed. You can use any AA battery, some will last longer than others.

Anyone tried them? I may take a chance.

• 3 months later...

Update on the Vaso glove liners. The main problem I had with them is the way the battery is connected. It uses hinged magnetic flaps. These I found can easily be dislodged when you pull your jacket or outer gloves on.

The guy at the company said he would send some stronger magnets, but didn't follow through.

Now the phone at the company isn't in service and then their web site went down. I have a bad feeling that they are out of business already.

Too bad, once I was able to find a way to keep them connected, they did a decent job.:confused24: