New to the Venture..quick question..

KIC

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a friend stop by tonight to see my lil Grand Princess before she leaves Saturday morning. He rides a Vulcan. Checked out my 1st Gen and spent the rest o the time on my laptop searching Craigslist and around for a nice 1st Gen. He almost was interested in a 2nd Gen because of the "had to eat lots of ice cream" stuff, until he realized that the 2nd Gens were so much slower, and not as nice looking....:stirthepot::buttkick:

Had a friend stop by tonight to see my lil Grand Princess before she leaves Saturday morning. He rides a Vulcan. Checked out my 1st Gen and spent the rest o the time on my laptop searching Craigslist and around for a nice 1st Gen. He almost was interested in a 2nd Gen because of the "had to eat lots of ice cream" stuff, until he realized that the 2nd Gens were so much slower, and not as nice looking....:stirthepot::buttkick:

I have a close friend with a Vulcan. It's a nice looking bike but the 2nd Gen Yamaha is nicer (my opinion).

Doubt I'll ever be in the market for a large cruiser ... When funds allow my next bike will almost certainly be a K1200LT.

I do have specific requirements of a bike, with very little money to achieve them, but one thing my bikes need to have is the ability to run successive 1000 mile days without complaining ... or hurting me :)

I had a K1200LT. It was very nice on the freeway, but very top heavy in town and felt top heavy in tight twisty mountain roads. On my first out of town ride on my 89 it was on mountain type twisty roads that I had ridden the K1200LT on. I found the 89 to be lighter and more comfortable in the turns. I also find the Venture to be more comfortable around town. As a side note, I jumped on the KLR650 to run an errand the other day and it felt like a feather. At 200 lbs lighter, it was a breeze to handle.

One last note on the K1200LT. I did enjoy all the bells and whistles that it had, but it was a very expensive bike to maintain. Just changing the oil was a PITA .

This is getting old.

If it is getting too painful for you to tolerate, go to the user CP - Settings & Options - Ignored Threads.

But since you are reading this, it reminds me of a moth drawn to a flame.

Please allow us our winter indescressions, forum rules are, no politics, religion or sex. Never seen anything about ribbing the slower members of the group.

Get over it.

:rotfl: :buttkick: :crying: :soapbox: :stirthepot: :stickpoke:

Gary

If it is getting too painful for you to tolerate, go to the user CP - Settings & Options - Ignored Threads.

But since you are reading this, it reminds me of a moth drawn to a flame.

Please allow us our winter indescressions, forum rules are, no politics, religion or sex. Never seen anything about ribbing the slower members of the group.

Get over it.

:rotfl: :buttkick: :crying: :soapbox: :stirthepot: :stickpoke:

Gary

I'm surprised folk get annoyed.

Both bikes have two handlebars

Both have the same number of cylinders

Each of them sports two wheels

and let's face it ....

A 2nd Gen doing 70mph will easily overtake a 1st Gen doing 50mph.

:rotf:

ps .... Mine won't overtake anything as it is currently stuck behind a garage door that has a broken spring!

Wow, it took longer then I expected to get a reply to my post. Just goes to show you, First genner's are not as fast as they claim to be. Let the games continue:stirthepot:

I was taking a nap!! And out playing with "Brown Sugar" a little. It is winter and very little of this stuff is serious. Just the parts about how much better the 1st Gens are...:whistling:

For a quick question this has been an awfully long thread.

Question was quick.

The answer and subsequent addemums have been excruciating !!

:crying:

But real serious topics are far & few this time of year, all these replys probably help Freebirds hit counts so advertisers are happy, maybe not.

Gary

On a recent ride on my 05 RSTD the symptoms described by Flyinfool showed up when accelerating in 5 gear. I assume that the same fix for the Venture would apply to the RSTD. I did see somewhere a link to clutch springs and directions how to replace the springs. I can't find the link and could use some help locating the information.

You can PM FlyinFool and ask him. He's probably in your back yard looking in your bedroom window already, but you can ask.

I think one of the things I have heard about clutch slippage has to do with the type of oil you use. I am still sorting that one out as to which type to use in these things.

rode the Venture to a bonfire BBQ tonight.. I really do love this bike. Getting ready to say goodbye to my daughter and grand daughter as they head back to NC tomorrow morning.. :crying:

Guess the Venture will have to be my baby for a while...

I'm surprised folk get annoyed.

Both bikes have two handlebars

Both have the same number of cylinders

Each of them sports two wheels

and let's face it ....

A 2nd Gen doing 70mph will easily overtake a 1st Gen doing 50mph.

:rotf:

ps .... Mine won't overtake anything as it is currently stuck behind a garage door that has a broken spring!

A 1st genner needs to shift out of 1st gear, to go faster than 50 mph. :2cents:

Are you waiting for a spring, or just waiting for spring????? :snow:

Hey...where is the best place to get a 2nd key copy for my bike ? Does a key blank for a Venture have to be obtained at a dealer or can a locksmith just make one ? I Know on my old K1200LT I had to buy from dealer and find a special locksmith to copy. :confused24:

I have a local 'small' locksmith shop that duplicates key for me. I don't think blank is that unusual. Not like a modern microchip key.

It isn't the molded head like the original key, but it fits and is a good spare.

Gary

Yep on the local locksmith and I can usually find a blank to match at Westlake and Ace hardware stores and make them there for a couple bucks.

We have a member here around somewhere that can do the factory dupilcates with the molded heads to but his name slips my mind at the moment.

I found a guy a few years ago that I could give him the code stamped on the key and he could make a perfect copy of the OEM key. Every key he made for me worked in every lock. I think I paid about $15.00 for 3 OEM standard keys. Not bad.

Mike

I bought 2 blanks on ebay and took them to my local ACE since they didn't have the blanks.

neither key would work right. After taking the gas cap in to the key maker, got both of them to work in the gas cap, but neither would work right in the ignition.

member here Ken in Calhoun GA is able to make keys using the number code