IGNORED

New to the Venture..quick question..

KIC

Might be the same issue...might be a Highjack.

The hose that comes out of the base of the number 2 carb is connected to a nipple on the the bottom front left of the air box.

There is a small pulsating vacuume thru that hose.

When it is disconnected from the air box the bike idles wonderfully.

When I hook it up the idle jumps to 3200 rpm.

Pretty sure it IS the air box...but I"m going to check it again in case it is hooked up to the vacume sensor dingy was talking about.

How do you check if the vacuume sensor is working properly?

I have checked for air leaks around the carbs and that is not an issue.

so what is the problem? Why the jump in idle rpm?

Well thanks.. you have helped me figure something out. the hose that was hanging there was identical to the one on the 89 and I am sure it is the correct hose that should be connected to the #2 cylinder. So...

I disconnected the hose from the #2 cylinder and connected the hanging hose ( adding the additional little valve and hose piece from one of my parts bikes. No real difference, other that it ran even worse while both hoses were disconnected.

Here is the deal.. I sucked on the "existing hose that was connected and the RPMs went high... in fact the throttle was turning by it's self...

When I sucked on the "hanging" line it also affected the RPM's but not near as much.

I am thinking that the PO had hooked up the cruise control line to the #2 cylinder... So I have reconnected the correct line to #2 cylinder... I will have to look and try to figure out what else the PO might have done when he was trying to get the bike running.

Bike still runs like crap, but one step closer to figuring this out.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edited to completely rewrite!!!!

Hose from #2 carb to vacuum sensor:

When it is disconnected from the air box the bike idles wonderfully.

When I hook it up the idle jumps to 3200 rpm.

I have checked for air leaks around the carbs and that is not an issue.

so what is the problem? Why the jump in idle rpm?

I ended up just dialing back the idle with those connected to vacuum sensor attached.

It seemed reasonable!

Have you synced the carbs with the hose connected ?

guess I shouldn't spend time editing a post in an active thread!!!!!

Look at my last post again for suggestion on hose.

I just ordered a carbtune....my homemade guage set just bounces too much to be of any use.

Here is the deal.. I sucked on the "existing hose that was connected and the RPMs went high... in fact the throttle was turning by it's self...

When I sucked on the "hanging" line it also affected the RPM's but not near as much.

I sorta depends on how much you sucked on it. The one attached to the cruise has a large bellows that would need a bunch of air displaced to make a difference. The one attached to the vacuum sensor is an extremely small chamber, so not much air would be displaced.

The vacuum sensor will only make a slight difference in RPM's at idle, maybe 100 RPM's. The cruise on the other hand, depends on how good you are.

Gary

KIC.....is there any chance that hose is the one that goes from the airbox (front left) and "t"'s into the other airbox hose? The one that goes into the tube between the carbs on the "box" on top of the crankcase?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65439&d=1332797233

see illustration #3

Thanks...but...No... already have that hose hooked up. The hose hanging down is a small hose and is connected somewhere up under the left upper fairing. I couldn't see a similar hose on my 89, so it must be up under there doing something..

Thanks...but...No... already have that hose hooked up. The hose hanging down is a small hose and is connected somewhere up under the left upper fairing. I couldn't see a similar hose on my 89, so it must be up under there doing something..

Hey Kic ya got orginal plug wires?? If so take the ends apart and clean them. Snip about 1/4 inch off wire to clean up that connection and use flat screwdriver inside plug end to take apart and clean all parts up. Don't loose little parts.

• 10 months later...