IGNORED

Pellet gun

Bubber

I am thinking of buying a pellet gun for varmit control.

I was looking at the Gamo Hornet and the Beeman Grizzly X2. They are both around $90 on sale give or take.

Any one own one?

Likes?

Dis-likes?

I want to stay in the $100 or less range.

Not looking to drive tacks at 100 yards.

Gamo Hornet.. bubber i have one of these i paid$75 for it. it works good for me. i used it so far on a pesky chipmunk. and a sorry to say few cats down here. i know some one is going to say thats not nice but i had to get the hood of my car repainted because of them damn cats scratching it. it is a good weapon for keeping pesky criiters away. i personaly like the over all function of it. powerfull but not to powerfull if you catch my drift? it did kill the chipmunks. as for the cats im sure they felt it. as i was not right on top of them when i fired. personaly i would go with the gamo hornet as i have not tried the other one.

Well Bubber,

I have the Gamo Nitro 17. I think it cost me $135. on sale three years ago. it came with a 3-9x40 scope. You break the barrel to cock it and it holds the air pressure for ever.

I have worn out two other pellet guns in my life time. This is by far the best I have ever had. The scope is unreal for a pellet gun.

It is 1000 fps with the PBA pellets, "the gold ones". You can easily kill squirrels, rabbits, skunks or what ever you please. Spend a little more and you won't be sorry.

Let us know what you decided and have fun. The gold pellets are more accurate than your standard lead pellet and kill better. They penetrate deeper.

If you are on the outskirts of town, and sound wont get you in trouble. Just use a .22 cal and bird shot. Doesnt carry far at all, and will get rid of the back yard varmints. Easy for me to say though because I live in an rural area. I used to take one up in the barn and get rid of the pigeons etc. Never hurt the ceiling at all, and it did a number on the pigeons,,,,

I have 2 pellet pistols, 1 is an old Benjamin the other a Sheridan, both are rifled barrel .177 cal. Either of these will drive tacks at 25-30 yards and do great at pickin off the pests. I prefer the Benjamin, 4 pumps gets their attention, 9-10 pumps and it's lights out.

Rifles are a bit faster and more accurate but harder to conceal from nosy neighbors .

I've had a Gamo since I was a teenager. All my friends ran around with Daisy BB I wanted one so my parents bought a .22 El Gamo single action pellet gun. Instead of just knocking little varmints around it dropped them dead even using flat heads never put a scope on it but with the adjustable sights she was very accurate and still use it today about 30+ years latter :thumbsup:

Darnit, Black Owl beat me to it. That's the first thing Karen said when I told her about this thread.

You'll shoot yer eye out. LOL

Later, Scooter Bob

Thanks for the vote of confidence and that goes to Karen too!

:stickpoke: :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Don't tell Annie she may get the wrong idea about her rooster.

I have a Beeman R7 .20 cal. It is a great gun. Yes, oil can cause the guns to diesel and fire from the compression in the air chamber. Beeman and all the others make a lube that is safe to use in the chamber.

Edited by Bvinson

I have an old Benjamen and Crossman pump, both are deadly inside of 40 yrds. Possums,cats,coons,dogs, and other critters getting into my chicken coop found out the hard way. The thing I like about the pump is you can adjust the power to the need, 4 pumps ouch 10 pumps damage 20 pumps kill. Rod

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been thinking about getting a pellet gun. I was on the internet trying to find out the difference in a .177 pellet and a .22 pellet. The article mentioned a web site for pyramyd air rifles. I went on their site and after looking at the guns available I was totally confused. I called their number for help and the representative recommended the RWS 34 .22 cal. I told him I would use the gun for critter control such as squirrels, rabbits and some crows. He said he used the RWS 34 and it would be perfect for that. I mentioned the Beeman and GAMO guns and even though they sell these he said they weren't made with materials as good as the RWS. The RWS cost a little more than I wanted to pay at $219 without a scope. Any comments.

I too have been thinking about getting a pellet gun. I was on the internet trying to find out the difference in a .177 pellet and a .22 pellet. The article mentioned a web site for pyramyd air rifles. I went on their site and after looking at the guns available I was totally confused. I called their number for help and the representative recommended the RWS 34 .22 cal. I told him I would use the gun for critter control such as squirrels, rabbits and some crows. He said he used the RWS 34 and it would be perfect for that. I mentioned the Beeman and GAMO guns and even though they sell these he said they weren't made with materials as good as the RWS. The RWS cost a little more than I wanted to pay at $219 without a scope. Any comments.

The .177 is the same size as a bb. Fairly small and good for target practice. The .22 is larger and better for pest control...... The RSW has a good reputation and $219 seems to be a good price. I'm sure you could find it for less... you always can... but if you need it buy it...

I bought a Gamo .177 last night. I had my sister pick it up so I should have it this week-end.

Just for pest control so I don't need a 50 cal. LOL :rotf:

I just wanted to plink a little for not to much money and I think the Gamo will do the job.

It was normally $149.00 but it was on sale at Cabela's for $79.00. So I bought it.

Reviews were good so we shall see when I sight it in.

:missingtooth: