IGNORED

Old tire from Jake Wilson

ToyOdie

I ordered E3 tires from Jake Wilson and they arrived yesterday. The rear tire has a date stamp of 1310 and the front is 3907. When I ordered the tires, I called and asked them to check the date codes for me. The lady I talked to assured me that the tires sell so fast that I souldn't have any problem with getting old tires because they rotate their stock. I'm planning on calling tomarrow to see about returning the front tire for a newer one. I remember reading a thread about this happening to someone else on the site. How should I handle the call to asure that I get a tire that is hopefully 2 years old or less?

I think I just returned that tire to them. When you call them just tell them your production date and they will email you a shipping label. Wrap it up with your intial purchase, and then put their shipping label on it. Then they will ship you a new one. The front tire I just sent back had the exact code that you have now. They shipped another tire back to me with a production date of 2411.

These people are really good and they will take care of you. They just don't know that we know about the production code. The E3 tire that I had on the front before was the same as you just received and I recevied that one a year ago and I did not know about the codes. It did ride pretty well for me until I had over 25,000 miles on it.

Good Luck,

Hal :cool10:

I had a tire that I thought was old because I went off the 4 digits in the oval. I sent a pic to Dunlop and this is what they sent me back.

Good morning Joe,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV.

Look for the letters DOT. (this means department of transportation and any tire that runs on the street must have one)

DOT will only be on one side of the tire .

After DOT there will be an alpha-numeric sequence approximately 10-12 characters long.

The last four digits of this sequence is the date.

It will be stamped....may be in an oval.

Example: 3409.....will be the 34th week of 2009

In case you find a tire with 3 digits, it means the tire was made prior to 2000.

Starting with the year 2000 four digits are now used..

Should you need further information or assistance, please call Dunlop Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378

or e-mail us.

regards,

Virginia Gallant

Consumer Affairs Representative

Consumer Affairs

DOT will only be on one side of the tire .

After DOT there will be an alpha-numeric sequence approximately 10-12 characters long.

The last four digits of this sequence is the date.

It will be stamped....may be in an oval.

Example: 3409.....will be the 34th week of 2009

I'll check both tires when I get home tonight. Sounds like I might be looking in the wrong place. I only looked for the oval with 4 digits in it.

Thanks

Contact Jake Wilson, same thing happened to Ponch before he left for Cody WY this summer. They were very good with him and shipped him a tire immediately, I'm confident they will treat you the same.

yep. You're the 4th member to get that tire... :322:

I just got off the phone with Jake Wilson customer service. I have to say I was very pleased with how they handled the situation. I told them what the issue was and she placed me on hold to have a "tech" check three tires. All the codes were 2011. She made a note to the "pickers" that I should get a tire that is no older than 2010. They are shipping one today. If the lady I spoke with when I ordered the tire had made that note on my original order, I wouldn't have gone through this. Over all I very pleased with the service that Jack Wilson provides. My sugestion to those of you that need date specific products is: 1) make a phone order rather than online. 2) Have the customer service rep add a note to the order that specifies the "no older than date" for the order pullers. 3) follow up if you have any problems. Jake Wilson really wants to make it right.:thumbsup:

I will add a red grease pencil mark to the date stamp of the tire before I return it. Let's see if any one else gets it : )

I am glad to hear you were treated fairly and the problem resolved.

But -

If a retailer knows what happens when they send out an old tire, why do they keep doing it? Knowing that the profit margin will be reduced with the exchange process wouldn't the retailer want to remove it from the picker's stack? Or are they just hoping the new recipient won't check the date? :2cents:

Just asking.

I don't believe the quality of today is as good as a few years ago. Are you guys sending the tires back because they are made better today or because ageing takes a toll on them. They have been stored inside.

Like I said, I don't have a cat in this fight, I'm just asking.

Richard

Just asking.

I don't believe the quality of today is as good as a few years ago. Are you guys sending the tires back because they are made better today or because ageing takes a toll on them. They have been stored inside.

Like I said, I don't have a cat in this fight, I'm just asking.

Richard

From what I have read tires that are older than four years should have been pulled from inventory. Don't have the link but there was an earlier thread with it about a study on old brand new tires and there rate of failure I think the study was mainly on automotive tires.

Yes its the aging of the tire that takes place once it is produced. Tire manufacturers are required by the DOT to change the date code in the mold every week.

Another note besides the safety factor would you want to pay today's price on a tire that was produced several years ago. The study I mentioned found tire's being sold as brand new that were up to 10 years old. Kinda like paying full price for day old donuts.

:mo money:

I just received my front tire replacement from Jake Wilson. The date code is 2411. I am happy to report that the customer service at Jake Wilson is top notch and would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to purchase tires. As I stated previously, I would recommend calling to place the order to avoid date issues with tires.

:thumbsup: