IGNORED

New fork seals installed and Class repaired

Well, It took some doing but I got the new fork seals installed. The job wasnt too terribly bad thanks to many posts on here but a particular thanks to Freebirds post on Fork Seal Replacement. Couldn't have done it without you especially since this was my first venture (no pun intended) in the great wide world of fork seal replacments! lol.

Got everything back together and the Class wouldnt work. Thanks again to Freebirds post on Class E4 error repair, I was able to solder all the broken connections and the class system again works as a charm!

YAHOO!!!!!

One quick question... When I apply the front brake and push down on the handlebars, I seem to be able to bottom out the forks a bit too easily. I'm wondering if the springs inside the forks wear out and would need to be replaced. The fork oil is new, the air pressure is working but like I said, seems to be able to bottom out too easy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jay

I'm wondering if the springs inside the forks wear out and would need to be replaced.

Jay

Why yes they do. About a month after the bike was sold new! The stock springs are way too weak for a bike to size of a Venture. Installing the Progressives will raise the front end, improve the ride and handling and eliminate the dive issue.

Not to mention you can eliminate the anti-dives on the bike by disconnecting them or install the block off plates that skydoc_17 sells. You really won't be needing them once the Progressives are installed. And you won't need to add much air pressure, if any, to the front.

Now add a Condor Fork Brace and you'll be done. LOL! (until you do the R1 conversion)

And congrats on your projects. These guys can get you through about anything.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Why yes they do. About a month after the bike was sold new! The stock springs are way too weak for a bike to size of a Venture. Installing the Progressives will raise the front end, improve the ride and handling and eliminate the dive issue. Mike

I installed Progressive Springs and love them. Although I like the higher front, some folks do not want the front to be higher. If you want to keep the front at about the same height, slide the fork tubes up in the triple-trees to compensate.

:lightbulb:

Progressive springs, installed (from my experience anyway) with about 3/16-1/4" more preload than Progressive calls out. With the Progressives and about 1/8" less preload than recommended I was still getting the occasional bottom-out.

Those fine-tuning adjustments to preload really do make a difference. I had installed Progressives in my Virago with the stock spacers which were recommended for that application. I always thought the ride was a bit harsh in front. Thus, I reduced the preload slightly as mentioned when I first put Progressives in the Venture, which led to the bottom-out problem. I recently worked on the front end of both bikes, reducing the preload on the Virago by ~5/16 and increasing it on the Venture by about the same amount, and both are riding better!

Jeremy

Hey Jay,

Here is the link to the Progressive Fork Springs I offer in the Classifieds. This set of springs is an excellent upgrade for your MKII VR.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3768&title=first-gen1983-1993-progressive-fork-springs-21&cat=22

Another excellent upgrade is the Anti-Dive Block Off Plates which allow you to remove the "Battery Hogging" Electric Anti-Dives that are on the Front Forks of your VR.

Here is the Link:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3776&title=first-genmkii-vr-s-santi-dive-block-off-plates-21&cat=22

Major Congrats on getting your fork seals installed, I have seen people scrap a perfectly good VR because of leaky fork seals. I have also seen a dealer charge major money for labor on a fork seal replacement.

My Hat's Off to ya' for a job well done! :thumbsup2:

Earl

• 2 weeks later...

Earl,

Thanks for the links! As soon as $$ alows, I'll be placing my order with ya. Have a few other projects that may need attention sooner... :mad:

Thanks for the vote of confidence... I bought this bike from my brother and it holds some special sentimental value, so I'm gonna keep on plugging away at her till I get it all right. The forks werent too bad with the exception of I didn't have the oil seal replacement tool but I found that a 2" PVC "T" with the long side cut in half to be able to go around the forks did the trick. HAHAHA! I've made some strange things work in my day but that was one of the strangest backwoods tool/part I've ever made... HAHAHA!

oh, Ive read on here that you (earl) sell a clutchg kit too. what all does that come with? I've been told the plates dont wear out, just the springs. I'll need to do that soon. She's ok for the moment but If I hammer down, she'll slip just a bit.

Thanks again, sure am glad I found ya'll. I'm in Flowery Branch, GA. hope to meet some nearby members one day.

Jay

I did my clutch, with Skydoc's help, on my 84...its a relatively simple job and doesn't take much time to do....even for a non wrench like me!

Just one question before you go and upgrade the clutch.

Are you sure you are using the correct type of oil?

If you use oil that has friction reducing additives, that can cause your clutch to slip.

If you have several hours...or days...you can search the site for oil threads...there are LOTS and LOTS of them!:doh:

I always use Yamalube for wet clutch so I dont think that would be the case... or maybe it could be??? I'll have to use some vacation days to search the threads here on oil use... HAHA! anyways, Thanks for the tip!

I'm not a professional mechanic but I do almost all my own work and have done so for a long time so here's hoping that when it comes time to do the job that it will go as smoothly for me as it did you! lol.

Thanks again!

Jay

• 2 months later...
I installed Progressive Springs and love them. Although I like the higher front, some folks do not want the front to be higher. If you want to keep the front at about the same height, slide the fork tubes up in the triple-trees to compensate.

:lightbulb:

Is there a reasonable limit to how much you can slide the tubes up in the triple tree.

With my old springs the top of my windshield just clears the door frame by 1/8 inch. I do not have room to raise my front end and still get the bike into the storage shed where it lives.

STOP POSTING LINKS TO MORE STUFF THAT I HAVE TO DO THIS WINTER.:mo money::mo money: GEEZ!

Jay,

Progressive springs are great, my 83 has them and with zero air pressure they don't bottom. However, if you are holding the brake lever and pushing the bike forward with the key off, your anti dive won't work. Turn the key on and try it again. Also did you put in the proper amount of fork oil in each fork tube?

The Mk I fork springs were worse than the Mk II springs. From the very beginning, on my 83 I had to run maximum air pressure with the stock springs and it still bottomed out a lot. On my 89, I run about 15# air pressure, and the stock springs work great.

Frank D.