IGNORED

Couple questions about winter

tz89

Is it really necessary? If so, then a couple more.

I've read suggestions somewhere to plug the exhaust pipes if the bike is going to be parked for a while. If so, I'm thinking of a ball of aluminum foil. Any better ideas?

Is there any reason to park it on its center stand, rather than the kick stand?

Winter here mostly means grey days and rain, with a few riding days mixed in. So I want my bike ridable on short notice. I got it laced with seafoam, connected to my new solar battery maintainer, and covered. Any other tips?

Thanks

tom :250:

Edited by tz89
typo

Guest Slab_Ryder

I park mine on a Center Stand (installed last year), to take the weight off the Tires and Shocks. As for the pipes, I recommend Steel Wool. It keeps the critters out, and prevents moisture build up. Also, I leave my battery in, but on a Battery Maintainer (plug in, walk away). I top the gas tank off with fuel, and Fuel Stabilizer (right to the brim), leaving no room for moisture in the tank after making sure the mixture gets into the bowls).

Edited by Slab_Ryder

Sounds like your winters are more fun then ours. Plugging the exhaust pipes is to help discourage small animals such as mice, tiny politicians or other such vermin from setting up housekeeping in your exhaust system. This is more a concern in areas where things freeze, thereby encouraging animals to seek out warmer surroundings. The battery maintainer will be OK as long as it actually is a maintainer and not a trickle charger as the latter could overcharge the battery thereby shortening its life. The Seafoam is a good idea as long as you remember to take the bike for a quick 15 to 20 minute ride so that the gas in the float bowls has Seafoam in it as well. The second gens don't have a centre stand and most of us leave it on the side stand all winter. Shouldn't be a problem, especially if you'll occasionally be riding it (Lucky devil!).

Since it won't be actually sitting still for 4 to 6 months and you won't have road salt to contend with, a good wash and wax before winter sets in should have you ready to store or go.

Andy

In nearly 35 years of messing around with old cars, some of which have been stored inside for a year or more between uses, I have never had a mouse get in the tailpipe. I have not had a mouse get in an intake airbox, but I have confirmed it with others that let their cars sit outside a lot.

You can put something in the pipe, but be sure to take it out before trying to start it.

(edit) if you will ride the bike every once in a while, then really, no special work is necessary. I ride my bikes during the winter when possible, and as long as I keep them on a maintainer, and keep the gas full, I just stick to my normal maint. schedule. But if you store it longer, here are some tips, some you are already doing:

Use the center stand if you have one, to keep the oil level in the engine, and keep weight off the tires. Although, I never raise my old cars, and the "flat spot" on their tires (again some have sat for a year or more on concrete) comes out in a few miles of driving in warm weather. Never ever had a tire ruined. If concerned about that, there at things you can buy for real money (meaning serious bucks for something you don't need) that let the tires sit in a curved surface. Again, not necessary.

If you are storing it for 4-5 months or less, then put some fuel stabilizer, I like the one from Amsoil better than Sta-Bil, but no matter what you get, follow the directions...more is NOT better. Keep the gas tank full, less air means less of a chance for rust/condensation.

Fresh oil right before you store it. Fresh clutch/brake fluid is highly recommended, along with fresh anti-freeze if that hasn't been done in the last year or two.

do NOT start the bike (or same goes for a car) every few days/weeks/months to stir things up unless you get it out and drive/ride it for at least half an hour. Otherwise, just starting it for a few minutes will allow condensation to get in the exhaust pipes (rust) and in the engine crankcase (rust, etc). Just let it sit is better on it.

If you can put out mouse poisen/bait, a LOT of it and that should take care of the critters.

Battery tender on the battery, or take the battery out and store it inside a warm space and put it on a maintainer every week or so.

Dang, say the thread title and thought we were going to have a philosophical discussion on the need for winter....:stirthepot:

:mytruck1:

Me too! And I think that winter should be skipped entirely this year. I serves no useful purpose. For those that like to ski and snowmobile, that is what Canada is for.

Every site I have read and every article I have read about storing your battery over the winter (where it goes below zero for months and you do NOT ride your bike), say to take the bike out of the cold, store it somewhere other than on concrete and above 40 F. Put it on a trickle charger once a month or a maintainer for the winter.

Every site says to NOT leave the battery out in the cold, especially where it goes below 0C for months at a time.

Just my :2cents:

Just park it where it's dry and clean, you'll want it next week anyways.

For the mouse poison, keep in mind that it attracts mice and so if you don't have any now, you will then, dead ones and live ones. If you have live ones now, keep your poison away from the building.

I take the battery out and leave it in the garage on a wooden dresser. Just make sure it is charged and then recharge it every month. A fully charged battery is not suppose to freeze.

My garage hardley ever gets below 0c

Brad

It is a myth that placing a battery on concrete will drain it. FYI

As for cold, if the battery is on a maintainer, (I like Battery Tender Jr's brand) then you don't need to worry about it freezing as long as the battery is healthy to start with. Think about the cars that are daily driven that sit out in 20 below or worse and work just fine (again, as long as they are healthy) and they don't have the maintainer on them.

Seriously, there is no problem with cold storage of a battery on a decent maintainer. Only if you let the battery drain to near dead will it freeze and bust or other problems.

I have three different tractors that get driven maybe once a month in the winter and they are in a cold barn. On maintainers. Never had a battery go bad or freeze or refuse to start the tractor as long as the battery was healthy.

Think about the cars that are daily driven that sit out in 20 below or worse and work just fine (again, as long as they are healthy) and they don't have the maintainer on them.

But the car is driven at least twice or more a week. Try doing that in a car that sits for a month or two where it's always below zero, often below -10C and the battery will die in no time. That's the difference.

My garage hardley ever gets below 0c

Brad

Wow, your garage must be heated and/or insulated really well and/or attached to your house because our garage is rarely ABOVE 0C once winter sets in. It's insulated but stands alone and no heat.

Is it really necessary? If so, then a couple more.

I've read suggestions somewhere to plug the exhaust pipes if the bike is going to be parked for a while. If so, I'm thinking of a ball of aluminum foil. Any better ideas?

Is there any reason to park it on its center stand, rather than the kick stand?

Winter here mostly means grey days and rain, with a few riding days mixed in. So I want my bike ridable on short notice. I got it laced with seafoam, connected to my new solar battery maintainer, and covered. Any other tips?

Thanks

tom :250:

Is winter necessary?? No not here'we ride all year.:rotf: