IGNORED

Loading a Venture

Yammer Dan

I got a truck with a 6 ft bed. Was thinking if I needed to haul one of these beasts it has about a 7 ft footprint. If I took a 8 ft 3/4 inch sheet of plywood and cut it to fit inside of bed could I load one of these things on it with the plywood sticking out over the tailgate without busting gate? Plan to fasten winch to front of plywood. Maybe run a band of 2x4s around perimeter of plywood and screw them down good??

I need sleep!!!

I think what Dan really intends to do is use it to transport the warden home from the hospital, doing what he is doing he can strap a gurney down and get her home comfortably...............ROFLMAO Dan loves pushing the envelope..................and the Warden.................LOL

Just thinking. I want to be ready.

3/4" plywood should do it. When I have a load that extends onto the tailgate I don't rely on the support cables, I use ratchet straps from the latch pin to the latch. Buying another project?

I agree do not rely on the cables holding the tailgate up, also make sure your truck can handle the weight and the higher center of gravity.

I would fear just getting the beast up on the bed. That is why I have a 5X8 CarryOn trailer. Easy to load on (drive it up the tail ramp), and I have a Wheel Dock bolted to the deck. That way when I get the bike on the trailer I hit the dock and realease the locking device. Then I can just get off the bike and tie it down without fear of it tipping. I added a tailgate strap on each side to accomocate the extra length of the RSV at the tour trunk.

www.wheeldock.com

www.carry-ontrailer.com

:farmer:

I would fear just getting the beast up on the bed. That is why I have a 5X8 CarryOn trailer. Easy to load on (drive it up the tail ramp), and I have a Wheel Dock bolted to the deck. That way when I get the bike on the trailer I hit the dock and realease the locking device. Then I can just get off the bike and tie it down without fear of it tipping. I added a tailgate strap on each side to accomocate the extra length of the RSV at the tour trunk.

www.wheeldock.com

www.carry-ontrailer.com

Yeah, I agree. I use a trailer that's maybe 12" above ground that tilts and has a winch to haul them up. Still not much fun to load a large bike.

Take your tailgate off... you will bend or dent it... and like you said, I don't trust those cables with a thousand lbs of weight either...

buy 4' x 8' x 3/4" external plywood.

buy a piece of 2" stock and weld up a support that slides into the reciever.

measure where 8' would come out from bed and make sure your support goes the entire 4' W of the plywood. It'll look like a "T" from the back... You could even weld some hinges on the tee for ramps but i'd only use on a very shallow angle.

I've thought about this for a long time, but the only safe way to get her in the bed is from a loading ramp. These bikes are extreeeemely heavy and can and will hurt you if you make one mistake. Please be careful...

My 4 x 4 2500 chevy pickup bed is 35" H. the harbor freight motorcycle table is like 26"? H

was considering welding up a mount to connect the sizzor table to my reciever to get it to that height but would still have to move bike from table to bed... :detective: not gonna happen...

Edited by CaptainJoe

I got a truck with a 6 ft bed. Was thinking if I needed to haul one of these beasts it has about a 7 ft footprint. If I took a 8 ft 3/4 inch sheet of plywood and cut it to fit inside of bed could I load one of these things on it with the plywood sticking out over the tailgate without busting gate? Plan to fasten winch to front of plywood. Maybe run a band of 2x4s around perimeter of plywood and screw them down good??

I need sleep!!!

Check out the attached file for a ramp to load your NEXT toy. Have not built one or seen this in person but looks like it might work well.

Note he also mentions 3/4" plywood extended over tailgate, I also like the idea mentioned above of making a "brace" and using hitch.

Edited by sgn
added plywood note

In that case, why not build a platform you can run the bike up and then run the winch to pull the whole shooting match up in the truck. How you planning on stabilizing the bike as you winch it in? If you are going to band the plywood, at least use carriage bolts with shoulder washers. Wouldn't do to rip the screws out!

Alternatively, buy a truck with a bigger bed, or get a trailer (with a tilt bed), or even better; they sell trailers for landscapers which have a hydraulic deck which lowers to the ground ........

I know of several folks who have tried to load big,heavy bikes into the rear of a pickup....most attempts ended with damage to both the bike and the truck.

My advice to you is use a trailer....If you can't drive the scoot onto the trailer it is easy enough to rig up a 12V boat winch and winch the scoot easily onto the trailer.

Boomer....who sez somewhere there is a U-Haul closed trailer with a LARGE dent in the front caused by driving a Venture into that trailer.......:whistling:

I know of several folks who have tried to load big,heavy bikes into the rear of a pickup....most attempts ended with damage to both the bike and the truck.

My advice to you is use a trailer....If you can't drive the scoot onto the trailer it is easy enough to rig up a 12V boat winch and winch the scoot easily onto the trailer.

Boomer....who sez somewhere there is a U-Haul closed trailer with a LARGE dent in the front caused by driving a Venture into that trailer.......:whistling:

I heard they were still looking for that guy!!:duck:

have an 08 silverado , long bed (8')......my ( former) 08 venture would load up completely and i could shut the tailgate if the bike was loaded at an angle....the tailgate supported any weight fine........i will say, it was very interesting....

Not sure about PA. But out here in flyover land (MN) there is a difference between a truck with a 6 foot bed and one with an 8 foot bed. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I've got an enclosed trailer you can use for your bike. Its a 10' L. x 5' W. Vnose with a ramp door, front wheel chock, 4 floor tie down rings and straps, brand new tires, wheels and greased bearings ...( just make sure you load and unload on level ground):eek: As I just about dropped bike the last time I backed it out of the trailer...

Gotta warn you though "It's a Second Gen hauler" so.... If you were, say, to haul a 1st Gen in it, it would be the same as riding Bi%$h, right? :)

I'm what, 40 miles away?

Edited by CaptainJoe

Dan, I hauled my '83 in the bed of my truck, all the way from Dayton, Ohio, to Paris, Tennessee. It was an 8 hour trip. I drive a F150. I just dropped the tailgate, me and 2 other guys loaded it in straight, and I tied it down at all four corners, and one thru the rear wheel. We didn't need anything else. The tailgate held it just fine, with no damage. It rode back there like a dream.

Now, getting it unloaded, all by myself, backing up to a ditch, was a little more interesting. I got it out ok, though.

I just got a "New" to me one (08 Ranger) but it has short bed. Not planning on hauling a bunch of them back there just thought I might want to go pick one up somewhere. 1st Gens don't like riding in trucks!!!

Dan, U-Haul motorcycle trailer. $15.95 per day. Drive it up tie it down and haul Azz

Dan I agree with Rick and I don't think a 900+# motorcycle in a swb Ranger will work. The handling will be terrible and the front end very light. Your talking 1/2 ton and a Ranger does not qualify. It will however pull a trailer with that much weight. I pulled my trailer with Sylvester on it to Rogers, AR and back to Charlotte with a Ford Escape and it did fine.

Don't want you to end up in a ditch. :backinmyday: