IGNORED

I am NOT Bashing

pick

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every brand of bike has it's recognized (and discussed to death) faults.

For example, my RSTD ....

no, it's actually perfect. :mustache:

OK, I have a question, beyond the clutch basket whine/chirp what faults does the RSTD have? I'm a new owner of an 07 RSTD and have the noisy clutch basket whine but not crazy loud. The only other problem I have is the fuel tank must leak and the leaking has some correlation to the odometer continuing to record a larger number.:mustache:

MasterGuns, Black Owl " Bangladesh and Cambodia." , "Probably Vietnam. That is where they are getting most of the electrical components."

Purchasing a high quality stator and seeing if it fixes the problem permanently would be a true test...

Although... Saw a guys Yamaha stator burnt out shortly after a long trip he took and found he was about 3/4 of a quart low on oil. From the heat discoloration on the windings of the stator I'm thinking thats what did it in... From what I've been reading the oil conducts the heat away from the stator to the engine case where it can be cooled, much like an electrical transformer on a telephone pole.

Don't know if Harleys stator is oil cooled, but if they are, wouldn't it make sense to install an oil cooler? Heat is the enemy!

OK, I have a question, beyond the clutch basket whine/chirp what faults does the RSTD have? I'm a new owner of an 07 RSTD and have the noisy clutch basket whine but not crazy loud. The only other problem I have is the fuel tank must leak and the leaking has some correlation to the odometer continuing to record a larger number.:mustache:

I found the stock seat uncomfortable for longer rides. Replaced with the Ultimate Seat. There was some extra play in the throttle grip. Fixed at the first service.

Personal preference - I'd rather have a dipstick than a sight-glass. (When I mentioned that to my beloved wife, she told me the dipstick was doing the driving)

Other than that I have had exactly 0 mechanical or service issues. No whine to speak of in the clutch. Occasional squeaky front brakes, but a couple of firm stops usually clears that up.

Overall EXTREMELY pleased with it. I anticipate averaging about 15k km/yr so at age 51 I expect it to easily outlast the remainder of my riding career. Unless my needs change radically it'll be my last ride.

I absolutely hate a thread that starts "Not bashing but", then immediately starts ridiculing another manufacturer. Guys, everything has problems, everything. My neighbor purchased a brand new 09 Honda Wing. With less than 1000 miles, the dealer was picking it up from somewhere along Interstate 20 out near Abilene because an electronic failure and the thing wouldn't run. Several more issues occurred with the bike and with less than 6000 miles he sold the thing. I have another friend that bought a new 2010 Venture. What a POS! And talk about slow. And it sounds like it's got a turbo on it or something, kinda like a trash truck. He's had that one back at the dealer in Weatherford, Texas several times and nadda, nil, can be done, they say. I'm sure that neither dealer has apologized to either of my buds or offerred them a coffee mug. Both experience a royal screwing. I just purchased a brand new Maxima SV (almost a 40K car) and it has had a couple trips back to the dealer to get those things corrected. My older US built pickup....same thing.

In conclusion, you cannot say these issues are Harley only. All bikes have problems even when new. To single out Harley by some here on this site is in my opinion a sign of inexperience or jealousy or lack of knowledge or whatever.

I ride both a 2001 Harley Ultra that has zip problems and it has about 35K and my other bike is an 86 VR that is on it's second motor and will leave a 2d Gen in the dust both on straight aways or in the twisties.

Sorry for ranting but.........

In conclusion, you cannot say these issues are Harley only. All bikes have problems even when new. To single out Harley by some here on this site is in my opinion a sign of inexperience or jealousy or lack of knowledge or whatever.

I ride both a 2001 Harley Ultra that has zip problems

Me thinks he doth protest too much!!!!!

Harleys have a reputation EVERYWHERE as being bikes that require a lot of work. Period. ;)

It's not inexperience OR jealousy OR lack of knowledge. :bang head: It's listening to this repeated over and over and over and over for many, many, many years - especially by Harley owners themselves. :cool10: :D

YMMV :D :biker:

Harleys have improved greatly over the years. I think the reason people bash Harleys is not just the bike but many of the riders attitude that he is superior and his bike is superior to every one else. Not a way to win friends.

Unfortunately, most run into a lot of that just about everywhere. It's great when you run into people who are just out to enjoy bike riding and don't care what type of bike you ride. :)

I have had Harley owners (many of them, actually) who will frankly say that, if you cannot do ANY work on a bike yourself, you shouldn't own a Harley as they require more "tinkering" than most bikes to keep them running perfectly. :confused24:

I've never owned one so I have no personal experience with one. Just passing on what I've heard from fellow bikers I know (most of whom do NOT have the "Harley attitude", by the way :D). :2cents:

I found the stock seat uncomfortable for longer rides. Replaced with the Ultimate Seat. There was some extra play in the throttle grip. Fixed at the first service.

Personal preference - I'd rather have a dipstick than a sight-glass. (When I mentioned that to my beloved wife, she told me the dipstick was doing the driving)

Other than that I have had exactly 0 mechanical or service issues. No whine to speak of in the clutch. Occasional squeaky front brakes, but a couple of firm stops usually clears that up.

Overall EXTREMELY pleased with it. I anticipate averaging about 15k km/yr so at age 51 I expect it to easily outlast the remainder of my riding career. Unless my needs change radically it'll be my last ride.

You plan to stop riding in your middle 60's? Why

:happy34:I believe the reason Harley gets trashed a little more than most is because of the "but it ain't a Harley statements from so many people when they see your bike and say how purdy it is but as soon as they find out it ain't a harley the attitude changes. Harley has done a great job with their marketing and have created a cult like image when it comes to their products. Those of you that ride a Harley must know that a large percentage of Harley people and for that matter even people who don't ride a bike have the look down your nose attitude about anyone who rides anything that isn't Harley made. I for one do not understand why people put down what belongs to other people. It's disrespectful and shows a lack of maturity on their part. I love the Electra Glide Ultra Classic, I would ride one except for a few reasons, First Price: can't bring myself to spend $24,000 to $30,000 on a motorcyle. #2 It's air cooled and any air cooled bike is not going to run the miles that a water cooled motor will. #3, I can buy a really great bike used with low miles on it for under $8000 and ride it for 10 years and get another one and do the same. I can ride for 20 years with a initial investment or under $20,000. There is no way I can do that if I buy Harley's. But Still love their looks and the way they sound if you put the right exhaust on them. Not the ear shattering exhaust.

Just My 2 cents worth :confused24:

I absolutely hate a thread that starts "Not bashing but",

I ride both a 2001 Harley Ultra that has zip problems and it has about 35K and my other bike is an 86 VR that is on it's second motor and will leave a 2d Gen in the dust both on straight aways or in the twisties.

Sorry for ranting but.........

I really tried not to respond, Gunny, I have all the respect in the world for you. Serving in the marines 30 yrs, Vietnam, you are one hell of a man, but ya kinda hit a nerve there sir, while I didn't spend 30 yrs, I did my time, was a grunt, 0341, and VERY proud, Semper Fi, but....................your opinion of being inexperienced, jealous or lack of knowledge?

Been riding all my life, all types, and am pretty proficient wrenching on my own HD, rebuilt the top end not including the machine work, and the rest of the maintenance that comes with a 31 year old Harley,ya know, its one of "those" AMF bikes. It is one of those bikes most on this forum talk about bad about, its not a very "polite" bike,leaks some oil, 2" drags, yup, pretty obnoxious, just as I guess I can be.Was taught well in the Marines, not shy, proud.

Jealous, ? Jealous of what? I own a HD and again after going into the dealer with the new 36k bike in tow, hell, it ain't a dealership, its a frekin' boutique, clothes, shoes, sandals,(sandals, Harley Davidson sandals!!!!!!!!!! arrrrrghhhhhhh) cat collars, shower curtains, ceiling fans, panties, glasses, come on, really,? Maybe I can get my nails done while they change the oil in my fatboy...........oh please..........Wonder if anyone in the showroom or shop even knows the significance of Holister,? oh yeah, its a clothing line.............Oh, but they won't/can't work on my bike.........MY lack of knowledge, hardly

Gunny, I would love to sit and listen about your life in the Marines, much history and respect there, but HD has lost touch...............

Well I was going to say something but figured I keep my mouth shut for now since I may be taking my new to me Valkyrie I/S on a 1,500+miles trip first of Oct.

I know he must feel sick spending that kinda of $$$$ then having to ride home on a RSV as a passenger :headache:

:crackup:

Well at least it was a comfortable seat.

I am beginning to think Dealers should be treated like lawyers (kill em all). My dealer who has been working on my venture for over two months to cure a serious vibration when stopped at idle, no low rpm power, and significantly increased noise, which resulted from the dealer "fixing a minor oil leak" has just told me they swapped out the swing arm bushing without improvement. HUH??? They tried the tires first :225:

....My dealer who has been working on my venture for over two months .....resulted from the dealer "fixing a minor oil leak" has just told me they swapped out the swing arm bushing without improvement. HUH??? They tried the tires first

Past time to take it to a different dealer !

Past time to take it to a different dealer !

you are right, the next time he tells me it is road worthy, I plan to take it to the three other Yamaha dealers all within a couple hours ride, and have them road test it and give me a written report. Then have to get it fixed and then fight with Yamaha to get the orriginal dealer cover the cost of fixing their mistake. Or just give up and dig deep

I always avoid commenting on these type threads because I happen to like All motorcycles, and I can definetly appreciate the beauty in a shined up HD, to the original post I too would be pretty Po'd if a 36k bike crapped out, no matter who made it. Just getting back from an 8 day ride I did notice one thing, there are a hell of a lot of HD dressers out there, probably at least 100-1 ratio of HD to Metric tourer on this trip. Every place we stopped there were large groups of HD's a few Wings and only 1 RSV, mine. So with that many on the road there are bound to be a few problems. I dont know if it was because we were in the South or what, but they all were very friendly and easy to talk with, a few were interested in the Venture. I dont know if they were having a rally down the Parkway or what, but there where alot of HD's and I didnt see anybody broke down.

Guest tx2sturgis

I ride ... a 2001 Harley Ultra that has zip problems and it has about 35K

You're about due for the $1500 cam chain tensioner replacement. This is one of the ongoing problems those models had.

Unfortunately it seems all the manufacturers share a problem and needs to address. The Gold Wing , IF you buy one will definitely need a better set of Neck bearings.They will wobble on decel sooner or later and yes after fighting Honda they will replace...with same JUNK. But I put in All Balls Bearings to fix it once and for all.(While I was at it updated the front springs for $75.00 more).The RSV in most peoples cases the rear shock,and it seems HD on the stator. NOT CUTTING ANY bike down just an observation that the manufacturers SHOULD address the reoccuring problems.

Yeah to that! Just dropped almost a grand to fix my Road King! There were bare wires from the regulator that looked to me to have been pinched and probably shorted out the stator and the regulator to the frame. I'm guessing somebody pinched 'em when they lifted the bike with a bike jack. I had the work done by a local Harley guy (NOT a dealer) and while he was at it he found my clutch cable was binding up, so he threw a good used cable he had in his part supply on for me! I can't believe the work involved with those bikes. Took it out last night and it ran like a champ! :cool10:

One of my closest friend owns and 2003 Ultra. Garaged all of its life. The clutch was beginning to pull hard. He took it to a local shop, not a dealer, that charges less. The shop owner indicated the clutch cable needed replaced. He also suggested that the throttle cable be replaced at the same time. I was shocked at price for the repair. Parts and labor $1100. Ouch!!!

That same "friend" who had his new Harley break down at 300 miles also got all the gear and the attitude. He would talk down to me and tell me my bike was nice but it wasn't a Harley, all the chicks want to ride on a Harley, us real bikers ride Harleys, etc, etc. I think he has about 3000k on it over the last two years. When he found out I put on 10,000k just this summer he quit talking to me. lol, no loss.

Went on an all day poker run a few weeks back. About 400 total km, lots of BS at the stops.

At the lunch stop one of the guys spent 20 minutes telling me about his new bike. Boiling 20 minutes of BS down to the facts, he'd spent 33k for the machine out the door and had added 8k in upgrades.

Told him I'd spent 14k + 1.5k in upgrades for mine (parked right next to his), and that we'd both ridden the same route that day.

He told me he'd never buy a used bike. Told him mine had 1km on the clock when I rolled it out of the dealer.

Told me he'd put almost 3000 km on it and it had only been back in the shop twice. Told him I had over 6000 on, and only an oil change and rear hub lube.

He stopped talking to me and went to sit with the other harley riders.

:mustache:

Most guys and gals are just guys and gals. Nobody I know really cares what someone rides. The odd Harley Snob you run into does seem to give the rest of the Harley riders a bad name.

I don't look at the ride when I'm headed out, I look at the rider. Only interested in whether someone is safe to ride with. The rest looks after itself.

Every time I read about people talking negative about Harleys I think of my friend. He just traded in his 2004 Heritage Softtale with 90K miles. The bike did not give him a lick of trouble. All he did was the general maintenance himself. He now has a Fatboy and plans on putting more miles on. He just returned from a 5K mile trip with zero problems.

To me Harley is still a company striving to succeed. I’m not a Harley history buff, but in 1999 I think they had a 88ci motor then changed to a 90 something and then in 2007 it changed to a 96ci. Now the engine is a 103ci. Sometime in there, they went to fuel injection. In 2007 they added 6th gear and in 2009 well over 100 improvements including an all-new frame. Now in 2012 a 103ci motor is standard for most models. I do not believe they still offer a cassette, in fact I think they have a USB port to play MP3’s.

The only people or companies that do not fail, are the ones who do not try to improve. The ones who dust themselves off and move forward will succeed.

I am a proud owner of a 2004 RSV. My bike looks just like a 1999-2012 with no changes. Maybe if Yamaha would strive for improvements we would see more issues with our machines.