IGNORED

New Cat

Tartan Terror

Well guys and gals I just got a new Rescued cat. She is very sweet but she needed home. She was living as a stray on a vineyard and was rescued. Now here is the clincher, she is 1 1/2 years old and somewhere along the line something happened and she lost an eye. Now as great as a cat is you have to figure 90% of the people looking for cats want that real cute baby kitten with no probs. I took the cat and have no regrets.

Now here is my dilemma. She is female and has no problem getting along with other cats as for the time she was in the shelter. I have two other cats that are boys and came into the house the same time. They are brothers. the minuite I brought Tasha into the house Ren and Stimpy got all in a huff and started hissing and low growling. I kept Tasha in the cat carrier until later when I put her in another room. Keep them seperate for a while but how do I go about intoducing them safely?

Tell me about your experiences introducing new animals into a home with animals that have been there for a while.

Scotty

I have heard that there are some places in Nevada that must specialize in this sort of thing. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_25.gif

I believe they are called "Cat Houses". :confused24:

Maybe you should visit one, Scotty, and see if they can help you take care of your problems! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I Have 2 Cats and recue one kitty and brig her home. it was on same way you describe. it last for about 3 days. just keep food dishes separate . Thats Cats instintc they are thinking new cat will eat their food or something. My cats are just kissing and growling , but never attack new Cat. Its verry common in cats community to act on that way. Thats good to keep'em separate if you are not home, and let'em together when you can observ'em. after a week they gonn sleep together.

To answer the question, Everyone is fixed so no problem that way. Im just concerned cuz the new one is so much smaller than the others. When I got home with her last night I left her in the carrier for a few hours. The boys were pissed but never did more than hiss and growl. Im thinking tonight I will do the same with the carrier and see if they are acting the same. My two boy cats are very social so just the fact that the new on is the same they may be jealous as they are kind of territirial to me. Ive been petting and holding the new one and then petting the others so they get her scent off me and see that even though Im holding the new one they are still getting attention. We will see. As long as they dont fight I know they will work it out.

Scotty

Scotty ...

i was soooooooo happy for, just then i realized that your talking about a Cat ...

you know what i thought you got as a new Cat ??

http://cmms.cat.com/cmms/servlet/cat.dcs.cmms.servlet.DynamicImageServlet?imageid=C200448&imageType=2

This is a new Cat !!!!

:bighug:

The others .... hmmm my Wife is allergic ... no four legged Cats in our House :no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:

I kept the new cat in a room by itself for about a week. The established cats could smell it and know it was there, but could not see it. In a week or so started a gradual introduction by letting the new cat have the run for a little while at a time. Finally worked to the point of getting along.

Well guys and gals I just got a new Rescued cat. She is very sweet but she needed home. She was living as a stray on a vineyard and was rescued. Now here is the clincher, she is 1 1/2 years old and somewhere along the line something happened and she lost an eye. Now as great as a cat is you have to figure 90% of the people looking for cats want that real cute baby kitten with no probs. I took the cat and have no regrets.

Now here is my dilemma. She is female and has no problem getting along with other cats as for the time she was in the shelter. I have two other cats that are boys and came into the house the same time. They are brothers. the minuite I brought Tasha into the house Ren and Stimpy got all in a huff and started hissing and low growling. I kept Tasha in the cat carrier until later when I put her in another room. Keep them seperate for a while but how do I go about intoducing them safely?

Tell me about your experiences introducing new animals into a home with animals that have been there for a while.

Scotty

scott don't know an answer for your delema,but you are one fine person.god bless you for your love of animals.your going to heaven.bill :clap2::clap2::clap2::2133:

Holy Cow Rick that is so familiar. Tasha is in the same boat except its her Left eye. Same personality too. Ill have to post some pics but that is so encouraging. In Tasha's case the eye is damaged and she wont be able to see. The Vet did talk about sewing it shut but feels that it should be open to drain if need be. We can revisit that later though. She does keep it mostly closed all of the time though. I need to just make sure it doesnt get dirty.

Well tonights update is that all seems well here. Ive had Tasha in a large cat carrier tonight and in the living room. The other to cats circled the carrier a few times and then sat in front of it for a little while. The fat cat growled a few times and then wandered of. The other is now sitting on the couch about 10 ft away now paying no attention. Im thinking that I will let Tasha out tomorrow night under close supervison and we what happens tomorrow night. Ill do that for a few days and then if all is well she is paroled into regular Furb life with the others.

Wish me luck!

[ATTACH]14153[/ATTACH]

These are our cats. I had the fluffy one for 4 1/2 years now. Her name is America and I got her from the animal shelter when she was just a couple months old. Then last year around this time, DK brought home the calico kitten who was about 5 months old at the time. Her name is Holli. America pitched a fit (growled, hissed, etc). We put Holli in another room with her own bed, litterbox, and food for about a week. American had the rest of the house to herself (after all it was her house first). They sniffed each other under the door and I put a ribbon under the door so they could play together. Once together they became best buddies. They love snuggling.

You can rescue a dog to keep order among the cats ya know.:rotf:

Seriously though, almost all of my dogs have come from rescues. I wouldnt have it any other way.

LOL! Not a bad Idea but im not really the dog type. Too much work. Cats area a little more independent. If you go away for the weekend as long as both ends are taken care of they will be fine.

Here is a picture of the pair of feral kittens we spent the summer working with. Their mother hung around in our back yard this summer for several weeks because we had a source of fresh water in the back yard (the birdbath). The same weekend we decided that we would feed her, she decided to bring out her kittens. It took about 2 months of feeding the kittens to get them close enough for us to touch them. Now they follow us every where. A couple of weeks ago during the ice storm Phil moved them into his workshop with food, water, litter box, and of course their very own space heater.

So we now have inside cats and outside cats.

I've got one kitty he's a wild cat. He loves the dogs and chases them every time I take out the dogs. He thinks they should love on him and he rubs up on their necks. He's really cute but I can't get him in the house yet. I am still trying though. I'm not sure if he knows that he's a cat for sure cause he acts just like my dogs at times.

I'm down to just two dogs lost two this year. one in Jan. not sure what happened to him, then a couple of months ago a snake got the other.

Margaret

Well tonight was the night. After Jebbles and I were all settled in we decided to let the little furb out see what happened when we could watch. For a while I wasnt sure as there was lots of hissing going on but it settled down and two of them even touched noses. Well then it happened. One was sitting a few feet from the new one and the other walked up behind and sat. Little growling so I rescued Tasha and put her on my lap to ease the situation. Sittng on my lap Ren walked up and just sat there like he wanted the rest of the room on my lap. Thats when the kitten went for him. Im figureing that she has claimed me and wanted to protect me as hers. Got them all seperated. Im the only one that got hurt go figure. Nice deep scratch on my finger. Man that sucker bleed! I will try again tomorrow. Dont mind the growling but no good on fighting.

Hey Tartan,

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. I got a Maine Coon cat about 6 months ago from a shelter. first he was afraid of me, (only liked girls) my kind of cat:)

Now he's my best buddy. Course I give him fresh bluegills daily.

Did I say he was spoiled?

I'm thinking of getting him a buddy.

Seems like your doing it the right way.

Best of luck,

Steve

Well tonight was the night. After Jebbles and I were all settled in we decided to let the little furb out see what happened when we could watch. For a while I wasnt sure as there was lots of hissing going on but it settled down and two of them even touched noses. Well then it happened. One was sitting a few feet from the new one and the other walked up behind and sat. Little growling so I rescued Tasha and put her on my lap to ease the situation. Sittng on my lap Ren walked up and just sat there like he wanted the rest of the room on my lap. Thats when the kitten went for him. Im figureing that she has claimed me and wanted to protect me as hers. Got them all seperated. Im the only one that got hurt go figure. Nice deep scratch on my finger. Man that sucker bleed! I will try again tomorrow. Dont mind the growling but no good on fighting.

Might be best if you don't get in the middle. Since they all seem to be fixated on you as their's. Let them sort it out a bit on their own. Keep an eye on them but don't pick up the new one and put it on your lap. That's just gonna put you in the middle and then you get hurt. Hope you heal up soon, might be a bit before they all sort it out. Hang in there though.

Margaret

Guest KitCarson

All those lost cats.......My daughter likes kittys........I have tried....I buy them at the flea market......went to the shelter and got a couple....had some given to me......they all just seem to encounter some kind of UFO or something, they just dis-appear. I got a great Maine Coon from the shelter, it was around here for about two months.......loved to sit on the sofa.....took off and was gone for four days.......came back......then just gone. Have saw one of the kittens that took off.......wild now........was grown and had a baby rabbit in its mouth.....know it was that kitten, was marked just like it.

I think stray feral Momma Cats steal the kittens...........have had like 4 kittens this past year......every last one of them gone.......they can all climb trees to avoid a dog.....did see the one that had the rabbit....up to the time it left......it used to be in the house also.....I think we have a stray Momma who is stealing the kittens..........do they do that? It is a mystery to me, where they go and why. Anyhow going to try again........got her a new one, it is a pretty brown siamese.....with brown ears.......and bright blue eyes..........got to go get it Christmas Eve and give it to her. Think we will keep this one in the house for about 90 days before we let it out.......garage doors are always wide open.....if they get outside they do seem to just poof!!! be gone.

Well things with the cats of going better. Ive been placing them in the same room for about an hour a day and there is less growling and only a few hisses. The good news is the two older cats are now more accepting of petting after I pet the new one so they are getting used to her smell. Funny thing is I thought I needed to watch the two older cats so they didnt attack the new one, Its the other way around. On friday night I had them out and the little one got into a position when she was between the two older cats. I had no Idea what they were up to but she looked nervous like she was cornered. I picked her up and put her on my lap and the fat one came over. Didnt hiss or anything just stood up and looked as if to say is there room for me too and thats when Tasha attacked. I caught her as she jumped. No one got hurt except for me but it was tense. Really stresed Stimpy out. He would not come near me got sick. By the next morning he was ok. Yesterday was better. Heres hoping they work it out soon. I think Im streesing out the most!