IGNORED

Installing Spin on oil filter Considerations

I love the spin on adapter on mine. It took no tools but it did take some time to make sure I cleaned all the grease and crap off the mating surface before install. No special tools, just spin it on and tightne, but dont overtighten.

It makes the oil change a 10 minute job and a no mess operation.

Brian

• 1 month later...
Was thinking of doing this...my only concern would be having a stone or something come off the tire and poke a hole in the filter.

Ride safe,

Mike

That has always been my concern and probably the reason that I haven't done the conversion.

The filter is behind the chin spoiler and a metal mesh grill - I wouldn't think it would be very susceptible to damage. Furthermore, my dad's old Intruder 1400 had a factory stock spin-on filter in the same position, and it did not even have a chin spoiler...so I don't think it's an issue.

Who sells this adapter? What kind of filters to they take?

Jeremy

The filter is behind the chin spoiler and a metal mesh grill - I wouldn't think it would be very susceptible to damage. Furthermore, my dad's old Intruder 1400 had a factory stock spin-on filter in the same position, and it did not even have a chin spoiler...so I don't think it's an issue.

Who sells this adapter? What kind of filters to they take?

Jeremy

The 83 -85 doesnt necessarily have the chin piece, it was an add on. Rivco sells them and I dont know what kind of filter those take. Mine is from a Canadian Company Huntington Labs and it uses any filter that fits a PT Cruiser, you can even get a chrome spin on for less than Yamaha charges for the stock media. Here is the link to RIVCO Adapters http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=93&cat=431&page=1

Brian

The Rivco spin-on adaptors will use any of these filters.

For the guys that have the MKII's with the lower chin the adaptor and filter fit very well and is well protected. I have an '84 so I swapped out the engine guards for MKII models and installed a chin off an '86. Kicked up the looks a bit and covers the front of the engine.

Worked out well for me.

Mike

Oil Filter (Gold) FIL 1381

Product Line: NAPA Filters

Interchange Mfg.: Fram (Autolite)

Interchange Mfg. Part Number: PH3950

Oil Filter (NASCAR) NFI 91381

Product Line: NASCAR Select Filters

Oil Filter - Mobil One MFI M1105

Product Line: Mobil One Filters

Oil Filter (ProSelect) SFI 21381

Product Line: NAPA ProSelect Filters

Oil Filter - K&N Filters BK 7355554

Product Line: Balkamp

Interchange Mfg. Part Number: PH3950 BK 7355554

user2027_pic3905_1269744542.jpg

well worth the money.

easy to install, and even easier to do an oil change

many oil filters work as snaggletooth has listed

you do not have to take chin spoiler off, just reach under with oil filter wrench, spin it off and spin a new one on.

cheers, Scott

The 83 -85 doesnt necessarily have the chin piece, it was an add on. Rivco sells them and I dont know what kind of filter those take. Mine is from a Canadian Company Huntington Labs and it uses any filter that fits a PT Cruiser, you can even get a chrome spin on for less than Yamaha charges for the stock media. Here is the link to RIVCO Adapters http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=93&cat=431&page=1

Brian

Hey Brian,

Are you saying Huntington Labs sells the an adaptor for the spin on filter. I can't find it on their website!

Ride safe,

Mike

• 2 months later...

Although the local MC parts place I go to couldn't find anything on the Fram PH3950 and even called their supplier looking for conversions, the Pep Boys around the corner had 2 in stock. The original cartridge style at the bike shop were $5.99 each and at Pep Boys the Fram PH3950 were $3.99 each.

Mike thanks for the table you listed:

Oil Filter (Gold) FIL 1381

Product Line: NAPA Filters

Oil Filter (NASCAR) NFI 91381

Product Line: NASCAR Select Filters

Oil Filter - Mobil One MFI M1105

Product Line: Mobil One Filters

Oil Filter (ProSelect) SFI 21381

Product Line: NAPA ProSelect Filters

Oil Filter - K&N Filters BK 7355554

Product Line: Balkamp

Interchange Mfg. Part Number: PH3950 BK 7355554

I am sort of puzzled by the ebay disclaimer that this model does not require bending or flattening the cross brace?

Considering that the adapter is circular and can tighten up at any given point on its axis, and the filter is also circular, it would seem the only way to accomplish this would be to use a smaller diameter spin on filter than the other guys use. Smaller diameter filter means less filtering area and an increase in back pressure on system

Not saying the cross brace is an issue, but there only seems to be one solution to this. And it may cause unwanted side effects.

:2cents:

Gary

I am sort of puzzled by the ebay disclaimer that this model does not require bending or flattening the cross brace?

Considering that the adapter is circular and can tighten up at any given point on its axis, and the filter is also circular, it would seem the only way to accomplish this would be to use a smaller diameter spin on filter than the other guys use. Smaller diameter filter means less filtering area and an increase in back pressure on system

Not saying the cross brace is an issue, but there only seems to be one solution to this. And it may cause unwanted side effects.

Gary

I am confused too, because I dont recall having any issues with any crossbrace when the adapter was installed. I just remember tightneneing the plate down and then spinning on the filter with no clearance issues with anything.

The Mk2 may have issues with the chin spoiler I guess, thats all I can think of right now.

Brian

FYIs-the cross brace issue is only regarding OLD Vmax's. Also, I do not recommend Using the Fram 3950. They changed the design in the last few years. NOW, the INLET holes are tiny when compared to the older same part #. ANd the Walmart Supertech filters do not seat correctly on the adapter...aka too narrow. I ONLY use PURO 10193 AND BOSCH 3320 FILTERS. The types I use...both have been cut open. The bosch has a different media. Bosch looks like dark fibers. Puro looks like cardboard. Bosch has approx ~60 pleats, Puro has approx~ 50 pleats. I think PURO-Pure One and Bosch are the same filter. But have not cut open a PureOne as only use the "Classic".

Gary

GAry it doesnt require any mods to the cross brace. This is the same one Ive got on my 91 and so far no problems.

David