IGNORED

My daughter just finished her MSF class

ragtop69gs

My daughter (21) just finished her MSF class :clap2:and is now in the market for her first bike :eek:. She wants a used sportbike (250-500cc) to learn on and really likes the Kawasaki Ninja 250. We both took one for a ride and I have to say it's a fun little bike and very easy to ride. Does anyone know of anything for sale in the 15-1800 dollar range? I'd like to stay somewhere near Michigan if we must go outside Michigan. The one we looked at was low sided at low speed and has a cracked fender, scratched upper fairing and cracked windshield otherwise was a nice low miles bike, the guy was asking top dollar for a damaged bike though.

Guest tx2sturgis
My daughter (21) just finished her MSF class :clap2:and is now in the market for her first bike :eek:. She wants a used sportbike (250-500cc) to learn on and really likes the Kawasaki Ninja 250. We both took one for a ride and I have to say it's a fun little bike and very easy to ride.

I'd be steering her towards a used 250-650 sized cruiser or standard (for her first learner bike) ....sportbikes are kinda highstrung....but it also depends on her physical size and ablities...

A sportbike in the 500cc range, say 400cc to 600cc...is a HIGH PERFORMANCE machine...dont kid yourself...they are NOT beginners bikes....and they can be VERY expensive to insure for a new rider....call your (or her) insurance agent BEFORE you buy one...ok?

Dont be surprised at premiums in the $100/month range...

Edited by tx2sturgis

I know where there is an absolutely gorgeous 1985 XJ700 Maxim. It's a cruiser styled bike with a very low seat (great woman's or small persons bike). The engine is an in line 4 though so it's power characteristics are more like a sport bike. Asking price $1,500.

Not a sport bike, but not a bad beginner bike. Got enough git up n go to keep up with the pack when she's ready too.

My friend and I have taught his wife and his sister on a 2003 Ninja 250. It looks sporty, sits more like a standard, and is small enough for them to maneuver in parking spaces. The 250 has plenty of power taking off from stops and can run 60-65 mph all day. The only draw-back of the Ninja 250 is at highway speeds rider has to work harder. We made a 40 mile run on a toll road last summer and around 80 mph the Ninja 250 is turning 10,000 rpm!

Both ladies have now stepped up to larger and more powerful machines. His wife is now riding a Katana 750 and his sister is on a very nice Bandit 600S.

....and they can be VERY expensive to insure for a new rider....call your (or her) insurance agent BEFORE you buy one...ok?

Dont be surprised at premiums in the $100/month range...

For sure!! I don't know about down south, but up here the Graduating License system is a cash grab for the insurance companies. You do not start to get ANY reduction until 3 years of FULL LICENSE. Up north that means the beginners and the M2 stages are top dollar

When calling get "specific prices for specific models"

AND .....

Good luck, welcome to the two-wheeled world, and watch out!!

My wife has a 250 Vstar and is perfectly happy with it.. top speed is 70 mph but she doesn't do the interstates anyway.

Was hoping she'd want my 650 vstar but thats not going to happen.

A crusier between 250 to 650 is what id get her because of insurance and weight.

Wind reaks havock with the small lightweight bikes.

Theres a reason most MSC use 250cc bikes.

Closer to 250 would be better to learn on, after a year she'd be ready to move up... I did most of my street learning on a brand new 175 yamaha enduro... Waaaaah hoo! i love that bike...

Edited by CaptainJoe

Ah, to be 21 again. I have no idea how people ride those but that's a great looking bike and congrats to her on her class and bike purchase.

I have never been a big fan of sport bikes but after taking it for a ride I have to say it was not too bad. Fairly upright riding position and very easy to handle. The thing I know I do not like is the wind noise you get, I had it up to 70 mph and the fairing/ windshield did nothing to deflect the wind. A good fitting full face helmet is a must.

She's happy with it.

I have never been a big fan of sport bikes but after taking it for a ride I have to say it was not too bad. Fairly upright riding position and very easy to handle. The thing I know I do not like is the wind noise you get, I had it up to 70 mph and the fairing/ windshield did nothing to deflect the wind. A good fitting full face helmet is a must.

She's happy with it.

You could always get a different windscreen PUIG, I believe, has a double bubble or a touring (it's not called that but I can't remember what they call it right now) windscreen that puts the air up higher. Had one on my YZF600R and it help tremendously with the wind and wind noise.

Okay, I was off. It's Zero Gravity that has a Sport touring windscreen. That's what mine was. http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/product_page.php?pn=161

She's happy with it.

Congrats on the new bike! Sport-bike windscreens are designed to route the air to your chest. In a perfect world this air flow takes your weight off your hands at speed. The problem is; you've got to be running 100mph. A good sportbike windscreen delivers smooth flow of air to your head. I tried a couple different screens and settled on a Double-Bubble for my Ninja. It moved the air flow up to around my chin and the flow is smooth (smooth = less noise).

:)

We got a Sizuki GN125 for my wife a fiew years back. My wife said that it would be all the bike she would ever need. That only lasted a few months, she now rides her XJ750 (she realy wants a V-Star 650). We kept the 125 for a while and taught a daughter and son (16 and 15 at the time) to ride. the nice thing about a smaller bike is it limits their speed and still teaches them everything they need to know to ride safely. My son (17) now has an XS1100 and my daughter (18) wants to get a HD (Her boy friend family are all HD riders and she thinks there cool or something).

That 2004 Suzuki GS500F is a nice looking bike. If your daughter keeps practicing in parking lots and takes it easy for the first few months that bike will last her a long time and not fill the need to move up (unless she wants to go on long rides...but then she could always just come borrow your bike :stickpoke:)

Ride safe.

Edit: By the way the insurance for the XS1100 is only $11 a month (for liability only) and yes my son is listed as the primary rider.

Edited by tcoop

(Her boy friend family are all HD riders and she thinks there cool or something).

That 2004 Suzuki GS500F is a nice looking bike. If your daughter keeps practicing in parking lots and takes it easy for the first few months that bike will last her a long time and not fill the need to move up (unless she wants to go on long rides...but then she could always just come borrow your bike :stickpoke:)

Ride safe.

Edit: By the way the insurance for the XS1100 is only $11 a month (for liability only) and yes my son is listed as the primary rider.

Borrow my bike :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: She couldn't even get it off the side stand :cool10:

Nothing wrong with a newer HD they have come a long way.

Congrats on the course. I took the advance rider's course a week ago,and I thought I new alot about riding, been riding for around twenty years and been around bikes longer, growing up I rode passenger with my dad when I was a kid. I'll tell ya it was the best thing I could have done, learned alot and was challenging, highly recommend it for all. Congrats again and another new rider.

Guest tx2sturgis
How's this for a first time bike owners grin ? Couldn't wipe that smile off her face with a bulldozer :173:

She smokes AND rides a sportbike....couple of nasty habits there!

:crackup:

Hey shes a cutie and looks happy...one thing thats in her favor for sure...that long blonde hair billowing out from under the helmet usually causes the idiot cagers to look twice!

:happy34: