IGNORED

Duncha Hate it when...

StormRaven

Well there I was...

Sitting in the pizza joint, sitting across the table from my lovely wife, GAWildKat, waiting on pizza to hit the table so we could start scarfing and some subject came up regarding the bike that Kat recommended that I put it up here. Rather than jotting the thing down as a note in my Smartphone for later, I figured on my infallible memory to carry me through yet again. Well, now I'm here, 2 and a half hours later...and my mind decides to fart on me. For the life of me, I can't remember what in the world it was...oh wait. I KNEW Stream of consciousness would save me.

I'm wanting to talk about Visors. Specifically, do they make any aftermarket assembly to install a secondary Visor inside the helmet for providing sun protection? Sunglasses only work when I'm wearing contacts. The Clip-on type for my regular prescription glasses don't provide ample coverage inside the helmet (perfectly fine while driving in a cage, go figure). Lastly, I'm a bit worried by swapping visors on a daily basis to go from sun-shield to clear would cause the visors or the mounts on the helmet to wear out.

What brought up this issue: I was coming home from work today traveling westbound at 6:00 pm, the sun was still rather high in the sky, but the angle was giving a lot of glare that the edge of my clip-ons were not cutting out, still making my eyes about near force shut. Not good to ride about blind.

So...as far as the visors go, any recommendations?

i dont know much about visors, but I use my HJC helmet with a clear visor on the outside and it also has the internal flipdown sunshade that really elimnates the need to stop and change to sunglasses. just a flip of a button and its up or down.

In hot or warm weather i leave the clear shield up and just run with the sunshade and its quite cool that way.

Brian

aaahhh I see marcarl beat me to it....lol!

Here is a link to the one I have, http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/10622/ITEM/HJC-FS-10-Solid-Helmet.aspx

To answer your original question, I have never seen an add-on sunshield for a helmet. I have seen several versions of tinted film that is attached inside the face shield. I put one on my Arai Quantum II full face helmet. The strip went across the top 1/4 of the shield and worked quite well. If it was dark or I needed to see better the shield had to be opened halfway. This was not a problem for me since the only time I use the shield down is when it is raining and even then only close it part way. Found this accessory in the local MC shop but it was made in England. Prior to getting it I was considering doing exactly the same with the tinted film that is used on car windows.

Now I have a modular with the built in sunshade. My first modular wore out and was replaced while in Cody with the HJC IS Max. This is a medium priced helmet that works very well although the sunshade is not quite dark enough. My first modular made by Hawk was half the price and had a darker sunshade but no one carried parts for it so its time was up and it had to go.

i dont know much about visors, but I use my HJC helmet with a clear visor on the outside and it also has the internal flipdown sunshade that really elimnates the need to stop and change to sunglasses. just a flip of a button and its up or down.

In hot or warm weather i leave the clear shield up and just run with the sunshade and its quite cool that way.

Brian

aaahhh I see marcarl beat me to it....lol!

Here is a link to the one I have, http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/10622/ITEM/HJC-FS-10-Solid-Helmet.aspx

I second Brian's comments. I have a Nolan N103 with the same options. I really gave it a good test on the 1600 mile trip to and from Cody. I did however install a narrow strip (1.5") of window tint to the bottom edge of the clear visor. That gave me sunvisor type protection from overhead sunlight when my clear shield is in the UP position. Works like a spot sunvisor. When my clear shield is down, I still have a large clear area to look though. Works for me. I have extra window tint that I would share if others would want to try it. I purchased a entire roll for $14.:)

Before my cataract surgery I used a pair of Bolle' glasses. They are wrap around sunglasses with different interchangeable colored lenses, and insert perscription lenses on the inside. They worked out very well for me and looked pretty stylish as well...:680:

I went cheap... go to wallyworld and buy a pair of 20 dollar go over polarized sunglasses.

They fit over your own glasses. The sport version is vented so they never fog.

I have multiple pairs so I am never without them.

I even wear them on overcast days just to cut glare.

[ATTACH]59444[/ATTACH]

Kinda look like this..

My helmet doesnt allow me to wear sunglasses because of the snug fit(pinches my ears after an hour or so of riding)

Going to put silver sun tint on entire face shield with a 1 1/2" strip of medium dark across the top of the shield.

I mostly ride with my shield up and figure the silver film should help with reflecting the sun but still allow me to see in low light conditions when down.

only problem with the sunblocker mentioned, is it has to go inside the face shield. Same thing as the window tint that I put on all my face shields near the top and bottom. Why on the bottom? B ecause I can flip the face shield up and the strip of tint on the bottom can be sued to block more of the sun while letting in air.

Still no solution I know of like the OP wanted, a flip up aftermarket interior sun shield.

I have a Shark Evoline, and it has the flip down sun shield, and I love this helmet. full face when I want, and open face when I want.

There is another thing that might work has been around a while, called the Super Visor http://www.super-visor.com/test.htm

Won't work on my Evo, but should on most other helmets. A visor is great because you just tilt your head down a little and you can block the sun right to the horizon, while still seeing the road.

I have not found the perfect solution, but some sort of visor on my Evo would just about do it for me, but I don't know how you would do it with the flip up chin bar and maintain the ability to do it all on the fly!

There is a patent waiting out there to make someone rich if they could solve this puzzle. :)

Found this product on fleabay around $14.00. Use it with my full face and glasses. It clips/glues/screws between the helmet and the liner. It doesn't block much view but does block the sun at low angle. Try a search for Frog Lidz. Always available.