IGNORED

Winterizing

CrazyHorse

What are you folks doing for winterizing? Are you filling up the fuel tank and putting in a product like Stabil or are you draining the carbs and filling the fuel tank and putting in Stabil. Or something else?

Pour the required ounces of stabil in the tank and ran it around the block and parked it

I put the seafoam in the tank, and run it for a bit. Park it and take battery out. (charge it a few times over winter and do NOT put it on concrete.

Another good thing to do is give it a good bath before it goes away.

Brad

Move South Im looking to Arizona /Texas when I retire I'm done with -20F windchills in January.
Best move now before you freeze to death ... then it'd bees too late!

Guest silvertramp

Stabil or Seafoam in tank-turn off petcock-run the carbs dry-walk away. I leave the battery in and charge it once in awhile with a Battery tender. The bat. on my '99 just died--not bad-7 years. It gets cold enough here in MA.-no freezing issues. I used to get real anal about putting my scoots to bed, but no more. The worst that happens is I have to burn the mouse nests out of the pipes.:)

Guest BluesLover

Stabil in the gas tank, tires off the cement garage floor, battery tender on, cover on bike ... OR ...

Take the bike to Sarasota ... :) ... hopefully with me on it!!!

Cheers,

I did not have an inside spot to store my bike so, I put a plastic sheet down on th driveway, placed a 3/4" sheet of exterior plywood on top upon which I parked the bike, after filling the tank, adding the right amount of stabl, and giving it a short run I then connected a 2 amp charger to the battery, which in turn I hooked to a timer set to come on every day for 1/2 an hour. (i did not remove the battery from the bike a fully charged battery will not freeze). Finaly I ran a one inch load strap from the rear luggage rack over the center of the windshield prior to covering the bike, this keeps the snow from piling up on the bike cover. Come spring the bike fires right up.

....Finaly I ran a one inch load strap from the rear luggage rack over the center of the windshield prior to covering the bike, this keeps the snow from piling up on the bike cover....

The strap is a great idea. When I lived in Utah I would do about the same but put my trouble light under the bike with a 60 watt bulb and leave it on. That would keep it warm enough that nothing would freeze, and the condensate would be less. The bike seemed to be a little less rusty in the spring.

i usually wear long underwear, warm coat over my leather jacket, throat coat/dickie, insulated gloves and warm socks. i am looking at buying battery/electric socks for a little extra winterizing. like someone has in their signature, quote "98 percent of vr's are still on the road". cheers, Scott:cool10:

When I was living up North I have seen batteries freeze, they swell up and crack.

Maybe not in this area.

Brad

I used to think that they would freeze also but now I think it has much more to do with wether they are properly charged. When we lived near North Bay, Ontario, it would hit minus 40 all too often. The Marina owner down the road had lived there all his life and told me that all the batteries from the boats he stored in his outdoor sheds were kept in the boats but disconected. He said that as long as he charged them up thoroughly when he winterized the boats that they would not freeze. He would guarantee that he would replace them if they did. I then started leaving my batteries for our boat and 5th wheel in an unheated garage all winter. Made sure they were well charged before and never had a problem. Maybe if they are not too good to begin with they will freeze. I do remember as a kid, may parents car battery freezing while in the car. Car was a piece of junk however so battery probably was too.

Cheers, Gary B

A search on Google returned this.

========================================================

http://www.carquest.com/common/images/myth.gif If you set a battery on concrete, it will quickly loose its charge.

http://www.carquest.com/common/images/truth.gif Although it is true that after a period of time batteries do self-discharge, placing them on concrete won't speed the process. What you place your battery on is not as important as the type of environment you expose it to. A battery that is stored at cooler temperatures (not below freezing), and protected from severe extremes, will last much longer than a battery stored at extreme temperatures.

====================================================

DonB

:stirthepot:

Gary Maybe it was just colder when we were kids :rotf:

Maybe your correct as the battery was always in a vehicle and of course it was probably not fully charged or drawing a little.

I was raised in the Sault so I know the temps your talking about.

Jeepers sounds like my dad walking up hill both ways to school:rotf: :rotf:

I think I will still remove them and charge them up once a month.

Brad

When I was living up North I have seen batteries freeze, they swell up and crack.

Maybe not in this area.

Brad

IF THEY FROZE ITS BECAUSE THEY SOMEHOW DISCHARGED YOU CAN ACTUALLY FULLY CHARGE A BATTERY AND STORE IT IN YOUR FREEZER. AS LONG AS A BATTERY IS NOT HOOKED UP TO ANYTHING IT TAKES LONGER TO DISCHARGE AT LOWER TEMP.I ONCE HAD A CHART WHICH SHOWED THE DISCHARGE RATE OF BATTERY AT VARIOUS TEMP AND IF I FIND IT I WILL POST IT. IT HAS ALSO BEEN PROVEN THAT A BATTERY DOES NOT DRAIN ANY FASTER WHEN SITTING ON CONCRETE.

Gary Maybe it was just colder when we were kids :rotf:

Absolutely! And there was a lot more snow too when we walked 20 miles uphill each way (uphill of course) to school.

Can't go wrong keeping the batteries charged up. Those battery tenders are great for that.

Cheers