IGNORED

Question about changing rear tire.

Skid

Its been a while but for some reason I remember having a real long pair of needle nose made it a little easier when trying to get it back together.

Or a very strong pair of snap ring pliers and of good size as well to remove that snap ring holding the drive pins in place.

Larry

Guys,

You do realize that he's asking about greasing his drive shaft?

Skid, just make sure it's in gear and with the tire out, go ahead and pull the final drive. I usually put the final drive housing in the vise and then clean and grease the splins on the end of the shaft.

Now getting it stabbed back into the U-joint at the upper end of the housing is just going to some patience. When you pull the drive shaft out the U-joint is going to fall down in the housing. I usually just slip the drive shaft down to the bottom and pick it up straight. There is about 1" of the drive shaft exposed at the final drive where you can turn it until the splins line up and the shaft slides in along with the 4 studs. It's not going to happen the first time so just stay with it. I really envey the FJR1300s as their U-joints are held straight in place when you pull the final drive.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Also, when you are fishing the drive shaft back in, there is a small plug covering a hole on the top of the drive shaft tube. Pop out this plug and use a length of coat hanger (or an old antenna, stiff wire, etc.) to help guide the drive shaft into the U-joint.

RR

And make sure you have engaged the u-joint properly by trying to turn the hub on the final drive with bike in gear.

It is possible to have the drive shaft slip along side the u-joint and not be engaged. Many here have done just that, and put it all together, only to find out it won't go anywhere.:doh:

Good Luck, Scooter Bob

The last time I greased my drive shaft I found it easier to install the drive shaft back into the u-joint first and then install the rear end. That whole assembly can get awful heavy trying to line it all up together.

I got the rear wheel off this evening.....

I just took my rear tire off also,

Must have been an Epidemic yesterday.:confused24:

I pulled both wheels and trucked them down to Bennie's and got the new Avons mounted.

I'm still trying to decide if I have enough ambition/guts to pull out that whole swingarm for greasing the swingarm bearings.:scratchchin:

Well I finished changing my rear tire and lubing the drive shaft and rear end. What a pain in the butt getting the drive shaft in is. Used Moly 60 on everything and I found out fast orange will get it off you skin. Lesson learned cut your fingernails before using disposable gloves.

I used a ratchet tie down to lower, raise up and hold the wheel in place since I was doing everything by myself and it worked really well. Had some questions and Ruffy patiently answered all of them for me and gave me some pointers.

Now I just have to put the mufflers and saddlebags back on.

Well I finished changing my rear tire and lubing the drive shaft and rear end. What a pain in the butt getting the drive shaft in is. Used Moly 60 on everything and I found out fast orange will get it off you skin. Lesson learned cut your fingernails before using disposable gloves.

I used a ratchet tie down to lower, raise up and hold the wheel in place since I was doing everything by myself and it worked really well. Had some questions and Ruffy patiently answered all of them for me and gave me some pointers.

Now I just have to put the mufflers and saddlebags back on.

Once you do it a couple of more times, takes all of 5 minutes to slide the shaft into the u-joint, but my first time was every bit of 2 hours too. Boy was I cussin under my breath. :whistling:

Got mine completed today. Yammer stuck the shaft on the first try. After changing tire, brakes, and all the grease, and lube etc. I took the time to start waxing and cleaning while the bags were off.

Got mine completed today. Yammer stuck the shaft on the first try. After changing tire, brakes, and all the grease, and lube etc. I took the time to start waxing and cleaning while the bags were off.

Well I finally got everything back together, and what it only took me 7 hours!!! Next time I think I will have Yammer come over and help me with mine too.

Well I finally got everything back together, and what it only took me 7 hours!!! Next time I think I will have Yammer come over and help me with mine too.

You got DQ next door?? With them young ladies running in and out of there trying to see which one can wear the lest clothes?? If you are down on floor trying to stick driveshaft in there you can't see out the window to maintain security on parking lot. Can't waste time with it!!:whistling:

You got DQ next door?? With them young ladies running in and out of there trying to see which one can wear the lest clothes?? If you are down on floor trying to stick driveshaft in there you can't see out the window to maintain security on parking lot. Can't waste time with it!!:whistling:

That would explain alot.

I got mine out on the road today and all I can say is VERY SMOOTH . I'm sure the new lube, greased splines and drive shaft helped too. So far my first test drive on the E3 is all good....:usa: