IGNORED

Cutting down windshield from the bottom

Has anyone tried cutting the bottom of an RSV windshield and then slotting and drilling new mounting holes?

I like this Idea since I think I would have problems getting such a smooth curve cutting the top portion and it would bother me every time I looked at it.

Seems possible - potential issues.

Limits fine tuning of height after the first cut so I had better get the height I want first time. I'm thinking 3" shorter for me but will check sight line over top with some scotch tape and inch marks.

Bottom area of windshield will be slightly wider but seems there is enough clearance in the slot it fits into to accept the wider width.

Anything else?

If you try cutting the windshield down from the bottom it will get thinner the more you cut. It won't go all the way across the fairing. I don't think you'd like it

You'd be better off cutting from the top just take your time. It will look much better

To be quite honest, I doubt very much that your idea would work.

As for cutting it at the top, it's really a "piece of cake" and can be done in very little time. Why go and make a bunch of extra work for yourself. If you think you will have problems cutting it down from the top, IMHO you're gonna be in for a big surprise trying to do it from the bottom!

To be quite honest, I doubt very much that your idea would work.

As for cutting it at the top, it's really a "piece of cake" and can be done in very little time. Why go and make a bunch of extra work for yourself. If you think you will have problems cutting it down from the top, IMHO you're gonna be in for a big surprise trying to do it from the bottom!

On the show chrome windshield I have it's either give it a shot or throw it away, figure it would be fun to try and I won't be out anything.

oh, ok.... if you put tape on a stock sheild, it will lift the coating off.... just an FYI....good luck with the Show Chrome, it should work...

I am doing it to a Show-chrome windshield that I broke the tabs off the bottom, I will let you know how it goes.

oh, ok.... if you put tape on a stock sheild, it will lift the coating off.... just an FYI....good luck with the Show Chrome, it should work...

That's part of the reason I'm thinking cutting the bottom would be better. No risk of damage to the stock coating which is 8 years old but in pristine shape.

I cut my stock shield down and so have several others ... I didn't have any coating lift off nor have I heard of this before (that's not to say it hasn't happened).

If you try cutting the windshield down from the bottom it will get thinner the more you cut. It won't go all the way across the fairing. I don't think you'd like it

You'd be better off cutting from the top just take your time. It will look much better

The shield actually bows outward slightly a few inches above the failing so the 3-4" cut won't be any narrower. If I were to cut off more than that it would start to get narrower.

To be honest I'm thinking now of leaving it stock. Just rode home for the first time on this scooter in the rain, sheets right off at anything above 40mph, really no visibility problem. PO used only Plexus cleaner/polish. I do same. This stuff works great.

On the show chrome windshield I have it's either give it a shot or throw it away, figure it would be fun to try and I won't be out anything.

awritey then... go for it!

But... we want to know how the "experiment" went for ya.

Don't have a clue what brand my wide W/S is, but when my wife turned us over :whistling:, not long after I got the RSV, the two center holes broke out.

This left me with the two choices of pitching it, or cutting it off from the bottom.

Being the cheap, uh no Frugal guy that I am you know I took plan "B". Should be simple, right??? Make a paper template of the bottom, mark the holes, slide it up an inch mark the hole location and the cutouts for the wide sides and cut away.... Wrong!!!:shock3:

because of the complex curvature the location of the new holes is not straight up from the original location and the cutouts for the (wide)sides must be cut more than what is cut off the bottom. :headache:

This is not to say it cannot be done, 'cause by trial and error I got mine done. :)

I really would like it about 1/2" shorter, so maybe one day...:cool10:

I cut 3" from the bottom of my OEM 2nd gen windshield 10,000 miles ago. Had no issues. Looks great.

Well, glad that went ok for ya but in my mind's eye, it would seem like a lot of extra work compared to cutting it off the top. I didn't even remove the w/s when I did mine. I've had a few people comment that it looks "factory".

Having said that tho, I guess in some cases, cutting it from the bottom is the only option.

Hello: I cut down my stock RSTD screen with directions from this wonderful site. I covered most of the screen (Both sides) with "Blue" Painters tape, made the cut, filed and sanded the edges with the screen attached to the bike. I really like it after cutting the stock 19.5" shield down to 17". Good luck with your project.

Heh ... That's why you put the tape on the saw, not the shield.

There is no need to tape the shield when you cut it. Just make a line with a chinagraph pencil, and follow it.

If you are worried about the finish edge of the windshield it is a piece of cake. After cutting the windshield use the replaceble file used on automotive body files. These files have 1/2 moon edges along the file instead of teeth. File the rounded edge using a rocking motion rather than trying to follow the curve with the file. Once you have the curves the way you want them polish up with very fine sandpaper ( I used 600 grit) wrapped around a block. It will come out beautilly.

Heh ... That's why you put the tape on the saw, not the shield.

There is no need to tape the shield when you cut it. Just make a line with a chinagraph pencil, and follow it.

Here's why I disagree with that method (and I hope you don't mind me saying so)

First of all, if there is no tape on the w/s, it is possible that the saw blade might splinter the edge of the plastic (unlikely but possible).

Secondly, if any sort of abrasive material gets between the base of the saw and the plastic, then you'll have to deal with scratches.

I firmly believe that the tape should go onto the w/s and if a person is concerned about the protective coating being lifted when removing the tape, use painter's tape or some other tape that is not overly sticky (autobody masking tape is not necessarilly a good choice). When you remove the tape, don't pull it off from the edge of the w/s down, start away from the w/s edge and pull towards it and don't pull straight up, angle the pull so that it's almost parallel.

Just my feelings about this.... folks, ya'll do whatever you feel comfortable with.

You are concerned about scratching the windshield, not the bottom of the saw, so tape the windshield. If you are concerned about the coating, and it seems that is a valid concern, then use cling wrap (stretchable plastic wrap used in the kitchen), and layer that tightly onto the shield. Works good too.

Brian

You are concerned about scratching the windshield, not the bottom of the saw, so tape the windshield. If you are concerned about the coating, and it seems that is a valid concern, then use cling wrap (stretchable plastic wrap used in the kitchen), and layer that tightly onto the shield. Works good too.

Brian

ClingWrap !! YES... good idea! :thumbsup2:

I wonder how Show Chrome would respond to asking about a warantee???

Instead of taping the saw or the windshield, why not fix small pieces of felt to the bottom of the saw itself?

If you do tape anything to the windshield, make darn sure that you don't leave that tape on for too long or let it get hot. Masking tape is a beeoch to get off when it gets baked on.

Well I got the show chrome windshield cut down and it looked good and fit ok until I said I think I need to make that mounting hole a little smoother and instead of going nice and slow I got to a hurry and snap needless to say I said allot of expletives.

I used a circular saw blade on my dremel tool to cut it and it did really well. If I ever find another windshield with the tabs broke I will git it another shot.