IGNORED

Need Ride height measurements.

I have been trying to figure this one out for a while now.

I have an '88 standard.

When on the side stand there is almost no lean to my bike, it is especially noticeable when parked near other 1st gens. I am always worried about the bike falling over on the right side while it is on the side stand.

When I am sitting on the bike and want to put the side stand down, I have to lean the bike well past center and to the right to get enough clearance to lower the side stand. Once the bike is on the side stand, I have to hold it up while getting off so that it does not fall over on the right side. It is not possible to sit on the bike while it is on the side stand, it will fall to the right if you are not ready for it. Once I get off of the bike I have to pull it hard over to the left to raise the suspension as much as possible.

While on the side stand I could easily push the bike over on the right side with one finger, it is that close to straight up. I am always worried about a good breeze blowing it over, or even someone just touching it in a parking lot. It is not possible to use the side stand on the side of a roadway, I have to use the center stand if parked on a road.

For the air suspension I run 10 lbs in the front and 40 lbs in the rear, both tires are at 42 lbs. both tires are the recommended sizes.

Can someone give me some reference dimensions from the ground to somewhere on the frame front and rear so that I can tell if I have a suspension issue or a side stand issue.

Shortening the side stand should be a simple job compared to all new springs.

I am considering putting in Progressive front springs, maybe next winter. But if the rear spring is also weak then I'll replace that to. I just hate throwing money/parts at a problem in hopes that something will work.

Try pumping up the CLASS to max and see if it still stands up straight. If it does your class is not doing it's job. On the other hand if it cures the problem then you need to shorten the sidestand a bit.

I have no CLASS. (Or so I am often told):think::doh:

This is a Standard, not a Royal so there is no CLASS system.

The front and rear do hold air I can add or remove air and 6 months later the front and rear will still have the same pressure that I put in them.

I have not tried the Max pressures from the service manual of 17 front and 71 rear, just to see how far it will lift the bike.

Jeff,

Would check if I could, bike is on center stand for a few more days to a week. I don't think I could get it back a center stand if I took it off to get measurements for you.

Don't know if it will help any, but attached is a picture of bike on side stand in my garage. This was without progressive springs or any real modifications to it at the time picture was taken.

1st picture is of current 83 on side stand.

2nd picture is of my 1984 MKI on side stand.

Both of them have a pretty good lean to them.

Gary

Jeff will go measure my second gen if you you want me too. Sounds like someone has put the wrong side stand on that bike or something has messed up with it holding it up prior to the position it should be in. I know that could really be aggravating. Will watch to see what you come up with. Oh, ya, what is this CLASS suspension thingy you all mention ?

Fuzzy

Oh, ya, what is this CLASS suspension thingy you all mention ?

Fuzzy

CLASS stands for 'Computer Leveling Air Suspension System'

It is the on board air compressor and controls that royales came with.

Gary

went out and took some pics. My bike is on side stand with 1/4 plate undersidestand. Air is set at 14psi front 44 rear.This is a 91

Pic # 1 is asphalt to just behind brake linkage rt/side

Pic #2 is asphalt to frame at oil view port rt/side

Pic# 3 is asphalt to to just in front of brake pedal lever rt/side

Pic #4 is asphalt to frame at rear tire rt/side

Pic # 5 is what Im assuming axle nut( bottom of it ) to asphalt lft/side

Pic #6 is aspahlt to frame at rear of exhaust collectorlft side

If you need bike standing Ill straight up measurement Ill try to get some ppics later when I can get some help

Also just realised my bike is on a slight decline with the left of the bike parked on the decline side so not sur eif these will help oyu or not. Ill leave them and let you deside.I cant pull in the clutch for now so if you need these reshot on levellet me know and Ill get my buddy over to move it for me. I like you feel the side stand is a bit long and have to watch the way i park as its already been blown over by the wind 3 times on the rt/side in storms. thats why i park it down hill now.

let me know

Hope this helps

David

Edited by painterman67

I have no CLASS. (Or so I am often told):think::doh:

This is a Standard, not a Royal so there is no CLASS system.

The front and rear do hold air I can add or remove air and 6 months later the front and rear will still have the same pressure that I put in them.

I have not tried the Max pressures from the service manual of 17 front and 71 rear, just to see how far it will lift the bike.

Pumping it up to max will sometimes lift the bike a couple of inches depending on how low the pressure is that you're running now.

I have an 86 Royale. If I have 17psi in the front, my feet barely touch the ground. If I put in 14psi it's good. Less than that and it makes me worry that it will fall over to the right. That and it seems to have a slow leak, so I check it every three days or so.:confused24:

hey jeff,my 86 leans way to the left. if you want to try my sidestand let me know.

Maybe I'll have to stop and visit you one of these days on my way home from work, or just buzz on down when you are available.

I work (put in time) on the south side of Racine so I must get near you somewhere along the way.

My '84 was like that when I bought it. Almost would stand straight up with the side stand down.

Once I changed the front springs to Progressives the lean was much better. The Progresives changed the stance of the bike a bunch even when parked.

The Progressives raised the front of my bike also. Now I have to be careful of not getting to the point it leans too much to the left.

RandyA

That brings up the next point, How much lean is to much lean. What is the "ideal" lean angle.

My big concern about raising the bike is twofold.

First I can just barely reach the ground at a red light as it is.

Second if the front gets any higher, it won't fit thru the door to its shed unless I cut down my brand new windshield.

I sat on an 85 last weekend and I could get both feet flat on the ground with sneakers on. I am tip toes with my 88. This 85 had a huge lean angle compared to my 88.

That brings up the next point, How much lean is to much lean. What is the "ideal" lean angle.

My big concern about raising the bike is twofold.

First I can just barely reach the ground at a red light as it is.

Second if the front gets any higher, it won't fit thru the door to its shed unless I cut down my brand new windshield.

I sat on an 85 last weekend and I could get both feet flat on the ground with sneakers on. I am tip toes with my 88. This 85 had a huge lean angle compared to my 88.

The '85 probably had the side stand shortened, or the seat was reworked????? Sitting that low with a standard side stand can't happen unless something is drastically wrong. Maybe a worn pivot bolt??

After doing some more checking I am thinking that there is something wrong in the front end.

This morning I adjusted the front air to 17 lbs.

On the way in to work today, I had to hit the brakes fairly hard, not panic stop hard, but a little harder than a normal stop, and the front end bottomed out going over a small bump (slightly raised tar line) with a loud clank. My windshield used to just rub the top of the door frame to the shed where the bike sleeps at night, there is now 1.5 inch clearance with me NOT sitting on the bike. I have also noticed that I used to look thru the windshield and I am now looking over it or right at the edge of it.

I think it looks like new front springs are in my very near future.

I just hope that with the new progressive springs that the bike will still fit thru the door.

Jeff If you put in progressives, you can find a smaller spacer, or, do what Rocket did on mine and not put any spacer in at all. It looked like my bike was going to way to high in the front with the spacers in so he left them out and I am fine. Most of the time I run no air in the tubes, but every once in a while i do inflate them up a bit just for fun.

Brian