IGNORED

Possible Book (if not already done)

SilvrT

The thought just occured to me (after reading another post about oil seal replacement) ... there's an awful lot of technical advice, how to's, etc in this website. Some of it is nicely assembled in the technical forums but there is also a lot buried in various threads, and in bits and pieces in the posts.

Wouldn't it be nice if all of that great info was assembled together in one nice book? I'd certainly pay for a book like that. It would be much more useful than the factory manuals and even current 3rd party ones such as Clymer.

A lot of "real world" hands-on information is available to us here but not always easily found nor properly documented. Even if someone on this site were to go through all the posts, assemble all the info, do some real good "how to" documenting (with pics) and post it in either the technical forums or as a downloadable PDF.

Now I know there is a lot of stuff in the technical forums and it is all very good....what I'm talking about is the info contained within various posts that has not made it into the tech forums.

Has this already been done? Am I talking about something that is readily available and I just haven't come across it yet?

Here's a small sample of what I mean...

One of the members is trying to fix an oil leak, probably at the shifter shaft. The manual doesn't cover this except when the engine is out. It would be nice to have a well documented with pics explanation of "how to" accomplish this (with the engine in the bike).

Another member mentioned there is another seal that could leak but in order to find it you have to remove the exhaust collector and run the bike up to operating temp ....and don't forget to remove the fairing lowers. If all of this was documented under a common heading of "Fixing Common Oil Leaks".... it would be so easy.

Now, to try and find all posts in here to do with "oil leak", here's what I get...

299 threads, many of them having several posts. I might find exactly what I'm looking for right away or, I might get caught up reading the many posts and totally forget what I was looking for (don't ask me how I know this) LOL

Any thoughts on this guys/gals?

I would pay good money for a book such as that! I have spent a considerable amount of time in the Archives here and the amount of info regarding these bikes is simply overwhelming and outstanding.

Yamaha should be glad to reap all the info on this Site and print out a true Owner's Manual. The current Manual is redundant with "See your Yamaha Dealer"......yada,yada,yada...........:whistling:

Very good idea. I've gotten a lot of information from this site that is very useful to me when I do small repairs. I would certainly spend money for a useful book to help me with my RSV.

Hopefully, someone will come up with the time and patience to do something that is so time consuming.

Good idea though.

So are you volunteering for the project? Just kidding. .

You know.... I am thinking about it. I'm not sure I'd do it in a book format tho but probably make a PDF file or something out of it.... I'm also a database programmer so I could compile the info into an application that folks could run on their PC's... hmmmmmm... lemme ponder this. Let's see how the responses go.

This is an excellent idea and one that I have been kicking around for about a year or so. I've never written a book before and don't know if I have what it takes but is something that I will give some serious thought to.

Don, don't you have enough on the go, without taking this on as well.

I think a book idea is great, but wonder if it would never be completed, as new and fresh ideas keep appearing on the forum. I do think the idea of a 'living' downloadable data file that could be added to as needed would be a better way to go. The problem would be to get someone to be the 'editor'.?? My 2¢.....

These are all very good ideas. What I have been doing is printing all the info from the archives and putting them into a loose leaf binder. All the ones for plastic repair in one section. The ones on engine repair ect. in another section and so on. I have now two binders in the garage. when I need to work on something I get the serivce manual and the binders and go to work. I have also copied the service manual to C.D. that I use in my laptop in the garage also. Just my .02.

I have copied and pasted every tech article in the library (2nd gen only) and printed each article which has since been placed in a manilla folder located in the rear trunk of my bike to have on hand on every ride I go on...always prepared to fix my own or help someone in need.

This is an excellent idea and one that I have been kicking around for about a year or so. I've never written a book before and don't know if I have what it takes but is something that I will give some serious thought to.

Don you don't need to take on this task. It sounds like a big one!!

I believe that SilvrT has volunteered for the job.

A PDF format on the site sounds good...

Just my :2cents:

Well...it's not that I think that I'm the only one who can do it...I also don't think that I am necessarily the best choice. My writing skills may not be up to the task. I'm just saying that if nobody else wants to take it on, I may do so. I have actually even thought about writing such a book and actually having it bound in some manner to be sold wherever, Ebay, etc.

Guest tx2sturgis

Maybe a 'loose leaf' binder format...all the articles on a 3-hole punched page or two or three, added to a 3 ring binder when they come in...maybe a new page or two, or chapter sent out say, 4 times a year, by subscription. Laminated pages would cost more, Custom 3 ring binder with VentureRider logo...

Dang I like that idea!

Guest maddabber

Hey Don

Did not the Venture Touring Society now the MTA have a booklet out that had a lot of fix it ideas in it. I think that is still aound, but for ist gens.:confused24:

Don't know if this will help or not, but i just put a book together using this:

http://www.blurb.com

I was only doing photos with some captioning, it was pretty easy.

You can also set things up for multiple contributors, but i haven't looked closely at that yet, and when your done you can choose to make it public and they will handle the sales through the Blurb online store. There are probably other companies available, but this might be a place to start.

I would pay good money for a book such as that! I have spent a considerable amount of time in the Archives here and the amount of info regarding these bikes is simply overwhelming and outstanding.

Yamaha should be glad to reap all the info on this Site and print out a true Owner's Manual. The current Manual is redundant with "See your Yamaha Dealer"......yada,yada,yada...........:whistling:

Don’t underestimate things... I’ll bet the Yamaha corp. would just love to change the manual to read "For more information visit Venturerider.org"

From my experience their technicians would do well to read some of the info posted here! :whistling: