IGNORED

What is going on?

Bubber

I don't know how many of you cruise Craig's List but have you noticed all the Harleys for sale. No this is not ment to bash Harleys, it is just an observation I made.

They are still asking an arm and a leg for them too. Everthing from Ultras to the old Toppers from the 50's.

I assume that they all bought them and found out they couldn't afford them or they really don't ride and the fad is over. :doh:

A 5 year old bike with 5K for miles... whats wrong with that picture? :crying: :yikes:

I'll stick with my Midnight thank you!

Always looking for the next great deal on craigs list.Your right about the Harleys.Every where you looks there are dozens if not hundreds of harleys for sale.Check out cycletrader.Page after page of Harleys.I have also noticed an increase in RSV's and TD's,some good deals to be had there.Forget about Wings thier right up there with the Harleys in price,but not as many listed.

I "cruise" kijiji.ca a lot and there are tons of Harleys there as well. Quite a few 2008 and older Ultras. I figgure since the changes in 2009 a lot of guys want to upgrade. And yes, they sure aren't giving them away....or at least their asking prices don't indicate that.

Always been like that but as you noted it seems to be worse now due to the economy. With so many bikes on the market to choose from you'd think prices would be lower if they really wanted to move their rides.

Larry

Nope,,, not that easy there Larry, there is the 'mortgage' to consider,,,, it cost a lot to get these scoots, and the loan ain't paid for yet, so they have to get their money out.

5,000 miles is alot of miles when you are just riding bar to bar being a Poser! I do have a friend with a 2005 Ultra Classic that actually rides his bike. Surprisingly he has 75,000 miles on it and it has been pretty much trouble free. He said he is going to try to get 100,000 out of it and then go buy a new one.

I think another part of the equation may be age. Baby boomers (of which I am a part) are a large segment of the touring bike riding population. The oldest boomers (those born in the mid to late 40's) are now entering their mid-60's. Some convert to trikes and keep riding, but many suffer the ailments of old age like bad joints, weak musculature, bad backs, failing eyesight, slow reflexes, etc. and decide it is time to start driving a rocking chair. It's one of the reasons there's been a slow decline in the purchase of these big machines and I think one of the reasons manufacturers spend less on R&D for the heavy cruisers.

I personally realized about a year ago that I only had a decade left before my own impending retirement. I had become sedentary and spent much of my time playing stupid games on Facebook or Pogo or whatever captured my fancy. When it finally dawned on me that I was literally wasting whatever active years I had left, I decided to do something about it. I didn't want my tombstone to read: "Here lies Steve...level 32,841 mobster". So, I bought a bike. And I am so thoroughly enjoying myself, I have less time to kick myself in the A$$ for the last 20 years when my last bike was rotting in the garage. How I wish I could get those lost decades back!

So, until that time comes when I can no longer safely navigate on 2 or even 3 wheels, you'll find me with my face in the wind. Ride, baby, RIDE!

There was a point a few years ago when I thought I was going to need a big chunk of money for a family emergency. I knew I could sell my Sportster for close to what I paid for it but I would lose about 5000 dollars on the Venture. Also my wife didn't enjoy riding the Sportster so I sold it. I have a friend that is the only one I know personally that rides more than I do. He has a 2001 Electra Glide that has 188000 miles on it. He is self employed in the sign business. Lives 2 miles down a gravel road. He will hook a trailer to the bike with ladder and tools and do installations. Rides all winter and usually makes a couple of long trips a year.

One thing about a bad economy is that it does weed out the wheat from the chaff insofar as business and products are concerned. As sad as it has been in the last few years, it has been interesting to watch how things change.

I retired from a long profession in financial services when I turned 60. Sold my practice and got out completely in 2007. But, one thing that was always a good rule of thumb to follow was, "So goes the baby boomers, so goes the economy." With 76 million of us so called baby boomers, we commanded the economy over the years.

Harleys, like all things that were expensive toys in the past 20 odd years, are suffering the same declines in value as everything else the baby boomers have touched since the 60s when we first started becoming adults.

Harley realizes that, too, and there has been an adjustment in their corporate thinking. The Harley plant in York, PA is an example of the principal about baby boomers. It has gone through a tough reorganization in recent years with significant job losses and production.

In the meantime, what you are seeing is market saturation for used Harleys that will continue as the ones who could afford them start trying to sell them off as they get older and can no longer ride. Significant price declines will follow the market saturation.

RSVs are beginning to trend that same way, too. Just on a smaller scale. Unlike Americans who don't learn from history, Yamaha built a very good touring bike in the RSV with little real corporate reason to redesign over the years and limited its production to long term market projections.

Yes, you can buy a brand new 10 year old RSV. But, people worldwide still buy them, ride them for 100,000 miles or more, and can get parts for them, if necessary, for a very long time. They were built for longevity. At their price, used or new, RSVs are still an excellent investment for a touring motorcycle public.

My 2000 RSV MM is my last bike. It runs great and replacement parts are very easy to find. Why get another, or buy a Harley at twice the price?

Just food for thought, IMHO.