IGNORED

This guy is very lucky!

Who Dey

Seen this before.

This rider was pretty much responsible for his own demise. He stopped way too close to the Suv in front of him and he left himself no "out". He also should have been watching his mirror for just such an possible event.

Traffic stopping where it shouldn't and for no apparent reason is always a red flag to pay special attention.

Seen this before.

This rider was pretty much responsible for his own demise. He stopped way too close to the Suv in front of him and he left himself no "out". He also should have been watching his mirror for just such an possible event.

Traffic stopping where it shouldn't and for no apparent reason is always a red flag to pay special attention.

Ahh, that explains it! When my wife got rear ended in her car she stopped too close to the one in front of her and didn't leave herself an out ........... C'mon, no offense, but that is about as ridiculous as you can get. Jump out of a lane into a lane of moving traffic without looking, or opposing traffic, or in your hurry to get out of the way you run into someone next to you. Yeppers, them's responsible actions.

Of course that's just my opinion.

Seen this before.

i agree that the rider was too close to the vehicle in front, but if you re-watch the video, start counting when the bike comes to a complete stop - i couldn't even count one second. there is no way this bike is responsible for this accident.

i was rear ended by a 16 yr. old girl who had just gotten her license the day before - she said she and her friend were messing with the radio. this happened on a interstate where traffic had come to a gridlock, must have been a minimum of 100 cars stopped in front of me and by virtue of all the stopped cars and the circumstance i would venture to say that most everyone was too close to the vehicle in front of them. i was actually looking in the mirror and braced my wife just prior to impact. i feel no way responsible in any part for me being rear ended !! that is my story and i'm sticking to it.

If you look at the video, he got stopped at the 8 second mark and was hit at the 9 second mark. That does not leave him much time to put together much of a plan for getting out of the way. Also, the only way he got stopped as quick as he did was he was was paying attention and he had a vehicle with good stopping characteristics. It does appear that traffic in that lane did come to a stop unexpectedly for the location.

I wonder how many of us on our Ventures, many 1st gens with minimal braking abilities and 2nd gens without intergrated braking and panic stopping with too much rear, would have slammed into the vehicle in front before getting hit in the rear? :confused24:

In my opinion, he was simply lucky to get out of it good as it appears he did.

RandyA

Seen this before.

Now thats just silly. The rider is absolutely not in any way responsible, any more than a car driver would be. It is the responsibility of the following motorist to be able to stop safely.

He was pretty much stopped...probably had his feet down already....so she just pushed the bike out from under him.

Did I say "just"?

At least he has evidence for insurance purposes!

For sure one lucky dude!

Now thats just silly. The rider is absolutely not in any way responsible, any more than a car driver would be. It is the responsibility of the following motorist to be able to stop safely.

From a legal standpoint this is absolutely true. From a practical standpoint I sort of agree with straycatt.

I won't go as far as to say that it was 100% avoidable because it did happen awfully quickly and I have no idea what the traffic was like in the other lanes. For me, the absolute first thing I do in ANY braking situation is take a peek in those mirrors - even as I am starting to apply the brakes, it is just as important to watch your backside as well as your other sides too. I have avoided a handful of 'rear endings' by being able to swerve out of the way and then come to a complete stop. Now when I say look behind I mean EVERYWHERE behind, not just directly behind - this gives one the ability and opportunity to determine if they can duck into another lane or not.

That being said, I also make an effort to never drive in the center lane of a 3 lane road, try to avoid being stopped in traffic and make a point of being very close to the lane divider on either side of the lane as to aid in the 'quick escape' as necessary.

All that said, sure this rider could have done a few things differently. Unfortunately, he did not. I think the helmet cam in a situation like that is quite handy. I am impressed at his just walking away at the end there when the lady goes 'are you okay'. Maybe he was taking his helmet off, I don't know. I do know that I would have to walk away for a minute or two - IF I was able to because I know I would be boiling.

Remember folks, at fault or not - WE are the ones that have to deal with whatever injuries come out of the crash. WE are ultimately responsible for our own safety.

Ride safe everyone.

A couple of observations that I made that were not mentioned.

In no particular order;

1. The vehicle in front of the bike had 2 of the 3 brake lights out. The only working brake light was the left one. This would have made it less noticeable to the driver of the car behind the bike that the first car was stopping unexpectedly.

2. As the biker went up in the air you could see that there was a line of cars stopped in front of the car in front of the bike. I am always trying to look thru the vehical in front of me to be able to react to traffic even before the vehicle in front of me does.

3. There was moving traffic in the lanes on each side of the biker. There was a car immediately to his left and you can see his head turn to check for an opening on the right. He had no where to go.

4. They were driving toward the sun. This reduces visibility for everyone.

5. The bike was a smaller sport bike of which most have very poor rear lighting and are mostly black when viewed from behind. This against the black background of the car in front. Combined with the brake lights out on the first car this would also make it harder for someone driving into the sun to spot the brake lights or even the bike at all.

I am not trying to imply that this was in any way the fault of the bike. I am just pointing out some of the factors to watch for and think about while you are out there playing dodge the cage.

I wonder how many of us on our Ventures, many 1st gens with minimal braking abilities and 2nd gens without intergrated braking and panic stopping with too much rear, would have slammed into the vehicle in front before getting hit in the rear? :confused24:

RandyA

Has there been any comparisons done to a 1st gens braking distance with & without the linked brake system.

I don't believe that an experienced rider could stop a linked brake system in equal or less distance than a delinked system.

The majority of the braking power is in the front brakes. Having both front calipers under control of one master cylinder seems to give an experienced rider more control.

I do agree for less experienced riders the linked system may have its benefits. It also has it's inherent downfalls for a lesser experienced rider. There are times I don't want to use the front brake (gravel roads, wet slick intersections) but you always have to use a front brake with a linked system.

Gary

Unfortunately the driver turned his view away from the driver after the impact. I am really trying to see if the lady was quickly putting her cell phone out of view...

PS as far as the SUV's brake lights, I'm sorry, but you have to be pretty brain dead not to notice a stopped vehicle brake lights or not...

Some very interesting thoughts in this thread.

I've been riding a very long time, and I learned a long time ago that you have to drive for every other driver on the road.

In a car a lapse in attention isn't that big of a deal. You bend a fender, make an insurance claim, and go on your merry way. But, on a motorcycle the stakes are much higher. Look at the two principles in the above video.

The woman in the truck, who according to the law and common sense is the party at fault here, suffers very little damage to vehicle or body. After the police report and med check, she will drive away to where ever it is she was trying to get to. Maybe with a small citation, maybe not. Her insurance will likely cover the cost to repair the sport bike and its rider, but he will still be out time. Time chasing repairs for his ride and probably time off work. And he's not going to get to where he was going, at least not on his bike.

She loses little to nothing.

The simple reality of this makes the rider ALWAYS responsible for his own safety. Yes, he was in the right.....what good did it do him? Had he been more aware of his situation he might have avoided all of his troubles that are sure to follow. And that, places him at fault.

Everybody makes mistakes. But when it's your azz that you are protecting, any mistake that someone else makes is yours to correct. They probably won't suffer for it near as much as you will. I will continue to ride and believe that most motorcycle accidents could have been avoided had the rider been more aware of his situation and more skilled in his riding.

I take responsibility for my own safety. If that is silly or ridiculous to some of you....so be it. I wish you good luck in your riding, you're going to need it.

Unfortunately the driver turned his view away from the driver after the impact. I am really trying to see if the lady was quickly putting her cell phone out of view...

PS as far as the SUV's brake lights, I'm sorry, but you have to be pretty brain dead not to notice a stopped vehicle brake lights or not...

I thought it looked like both of her hands were on the top of the steering wheel. Hard to see though.

There are a lot of pretty brain dead drivers out there.

The brake lights let the person behind you know that you are going to stop before they can notice your deceleration. The lack of brake lights MAY have made the difference in the woman being able to stop in time. The lone brake light comes on at the 5 second mark of the vid, impact is at 9 seconds. thats only 4 seconds from minivan brakes to impact. Working brake lights may have given the woman an extra second or 2 of reaction time.

I was trying to point out that there were a number of contributing factors in that crash. Had any one of those factors not been there this could have been a boring vid.

When I am following a vehicle with defective brake lights I add distance to give me that extra second or two.

I do not know where this happened, but here both cars would have gotten citations. The one in front for defective lights, and the one behind for following to close and/or inattentive driving.

Edited by Flyinfool

Seen this before.

I see that no one will ever run into the back of you! :080402gudl_prv:

upon advancing the video one second at a time - you will notice at 13 seconds (& 20 seconds) that the lady's vehicle who hit the bike is at an angle as if the driver was switching lanes......it doesn't seem probable that the rear of of vehicle jumped sideways from that impact.....any thoughts ?

I was trying to decide if the angle of her car was from the impact on the extreme right side or if it turned a little from a brake lockup, or a combination of both. I could not hear any tires squealing on the vid but the cameras mic was also pointed forward so it might not have picked it up.

If she was hard on the brake at impact the weight on the rear tires would have been light and the hit on the corner of the car could have turned it that little bit.

Bottom line, she didn't have control of her vehicle, because she was either traveling too fast or too close to stop. Nowadays people drive like they are at the racetrack anyways!!! They all think that one or two vehicle lengths is enough even if they're moving at 60-70mph. Daytona international syndrome!! Only possible reason for rearending someone is if they suddenly change lanes in front of you and slam on the brakes. Just my :2cents: worth.