IGNORED

Henry Ford Museum

Bob Myers

So, who's been to the Ford Museum? Greenfield Village? WIfe and I are going to ride up on Friday and come home on Monday, should be plenty of time to see most of each of them, right? What's a absolute don't miss part of this trip?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Greenfield Village when I was 8 years old. I remember parts of it vaguely, but the thing is that I remember it. So I am assuming it is a very cool place!! I would love to go back...

I want to say they had some Thomas Edison stuff there...but again, I was only 8 years old.

Hey Bob, I was just there a month ago. Its a really interesting place, that's for sure. If you like to take your time you can do the museum one day and the village on the other. You can do both in the same day if you start early, but that's if you don't stop and read every sign/plaque. Keep in mind that both the museum and the village are huge, though part of the museum is under construction right now.. Depending on the type of museum visitors you are, its a 1 long day or a 2 day affair. Have Fun!

2 days are what we have planned. Wife has bad knees and walking gets her pretty quickly so I am hoping we can do the ride paas thing at Greenfield. As I understand it you purchase a $10.00 pass(per person) and can ride all over the village in the A's and T model cars all day, as much or as little as you wish, pretty much like a taxi, except you can't tell them to wait while tyou run in the next building.

While I haven't done the Model T ride, there certainly are a lot of them buzzing around. So many of them that I wonder if they every have car/car or car/pedestrian accidents. If so, I wonder how confusing that would be to report being in an accident with a Late Late model Ford.. Anyways, enjoy your trip, its a fascinating place.

My wife and I went last year and plan to go again this year. Lots of neat things to see there.

ps i like your spinging lathe chuck. are you a lathe hand? Right now i'm sitting home with a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder from doing that for 40 years, witch means no riding for a long time!!!:depressed::depressed:

You'll have a great time there, so much to see and do. If you have time go through Greenfield Village too, it's like stepping back in time. There is also an Imax theater there, showing CarsII in 3D. I saw the previews when we were there a few weeks ago to see the new Pirates of the Carribean 3D, Cars looks like it would be a good one to see also.

Pretty much what everyone said here. To see it all in a relaxed atmosphere do the village one day and the museum the other. I'm just 8 or 9 miles west of town so if ya give a shout out in the evening we could have a impromptu meet & greet. Maybe scare up some other local members as well.

Larry

.... I'm just 8 or 9 miles west of town so if ya give a shout out in the evening we could have a impromptu meet & greet. Maybe scare up some other local members as well.

Larry

That's a pretty good idea Larry.

SWMBO is out of town. My daughter was supposed to visit but had to back out. I'm planning to spend at least part of the weekend working on the house.

With a little arm twisting I could probably be talked into throwing the carcass of something on the grill. Maybe Sat. or Sun. since they'll have lots of miles Friday and Monday.

HEY! Can Colleen and I crash this meet n greet? We're thinkin of riding up friday evening, spending saturday there, and then riding home Sunday. Also - would be great if someone could suggest an inexpensive, yet not trashy, motel.

Wow! Iknew I'd get a few answers but never expected a turnout like this. We are riding our Vulcans up on Friday, plan is to be there around 3 or 4pm, if we get the early start I have anticipated We'll be staying at the Hawthorne in Southfield, not the Ritz but at $72 per night with a full kitchen I don't think we'll be too bad off.

The M&E/G&E sounds great, I'll run that by my wife this evening and advise tonight .

The car club I run was in Dearborn last year and we had a great time. The museum (The Henry Ford is the official title) is a full day if done right, they have a couple restaurants there, and I would recommend you tour the Dymaxion House created by R. Buckminster Fuller, but the entire facility is filled with amazing things. There is an IMAX theater right there with Cars 2 playing right now in 3D. If you haven't been to one of these, plan on doing it.

At Greenfield Village, the original Herschell-Spillman Carousel is a must do, I am a big man and when I saw it with my grandson, I HAD to get on, and ride one of these for the first time since I was 10, the age of my grandson. It was a blast. Remember that many of the buildings in the exhibit are ORIGINALS! Famous buildings that Henry Ford visited, and just bought and moved. those he could not buy, he would recreate, like the front of the Museum, a recreation of Independence Hall in Philadelphia...can you believe it? They wouldn't sell the entire building to old Henry! :crying:

Ride the train at the village, and see the original roundhouse (about 1/3 of it anyway) and ask to have a chance to turn the turntable by hand, that weighs a bunch of tons!

There is also the Automotive Hall of Fame on the grounds, just across from the Museum/ImAX area. IT is a very good museum that is more than just plaques of famous automotive icons. Several interactive displays and a neat movie to start the tour, consider doing that while there, allow a couple hours, but you should be able to do it in that time.

Ride Woodward AVe. just for fun. Start just north of the city, no need to go all the way into the city, the avenue is mostly in the suburbs. Lots of good shopping and food along the way, and if you follow it all the way to Pontiac and a little beyond, you will see some very nice suburbs. Venture off the main road to the side, and you will see some nice mansions, and where the money is from all those automotive ventures! Many stop lights, but it goes pretty fast, and a lot of history there.

If a meet & eat comes together I should be able to make it. Daughter leaving with her Brother Thursday and won't be back until Monday. I've been trying to figure out somewhere to go during this rare free time.

I'm going to withdraw my offer to fire up the grill since I've now got some other stuff tugging at me.

Larry, isn't there a Leon's on Michigan Ave in Dearborn? Perhaps that would be a good place near the hotel.

Wow who would of thought that we'd be getting three out of state'rs going to a specific event and not knowing the others would be doing the same!!!!

Carl yea we have meet for M&E's many times at Leon's in Dearborn. They can accomodate large enough groups in their banquet room on short notice easy enough. We'll need to have some idea as to which day & time would be best for our out of town visitors. Hopefully we'll know early enough in that Karl can get there on time since he has a bit of a ride to get here.

Cort I'll check around on hotels. We have both kinds. LOL I've found that if you pickup those hotel books you see in the racks on the freeways you'll find some decent deals. Example: on our way home from Tennessee Monday we decided to call it a day between Louisville, Ky and Cincinnati, Oh. We chose a Dury's hotel just north of Cincy. Cost was $70 using a coupon from a book opposed to what would have been normally a $100 room. The Metro-Airport area has a bunch of chain brand hotels to check out and is about 10-12 miles from Dearborn.

Larry

I'm going to withdraw my offer to fire up the grill since I've now got some other stuff tugging at me.

Larry, isn't there a Leon's on Michigan Ave in Dearborn? Perhaps that would be a good place near the hotel.

My friend thank you for the offer, it is most gracious offer!

Were coming up there this weekend as well maybe we can meet?

See it all its worth it!!

We got a yearly pass before I moved to Texas

I'll pm you my cell number or you can get it from the vr assistance list. Maybe we can make this work!

We plan on doing The Henry Ford on Saturday and Greenfield on Sunday. It (at this time) is supposed to be a little cooler and less humid on Sunday.