IGNORED

Ford Escape-seatbelt is stuck!

Trader

2005 Escape

I folded down the back seat on the escape to load something up...then when I went to lift the seat, the middle seatbelt won't "un ratchet" to allow the seat to lift up!

I can get it ( the seat) to move about 6" and that's about it.

(I had to be very careful how I worded this post to avoid Viagara ads!):whistling:

I've tried feeding the belt back into the slot..but it won't release tension. I can't pull it out at all.

Any suggestions on how to release the tension on a seat belt? The retractor is near the top of the backrest in the middle back seat and is not very accessable when the seat is folded down.

Edited by Trader
to show year and location of retractor

Some of these lock based on position and can be a bugger to get the pawl to release. If you can't get to it you might be kind of hosed. I would bump it around as much as you can to see if it will pop but not much to tell you other than that. cut the belt and replace?

Frank

This sounds like a joke but isn't...

You could find a really bumpy road to drive down and have someone mess with it till it lets go. (OMG what have I typed)

Hit the gas/brake hard a few times too.

Frank

Ford retractors suck! The tensioner in them is extremely prone to dirt and grit. Once it gets a bit of dirt in it it will lose it's free play and stay in the locked position.

With a little luck you might be able to pry the cover open and spray something, (non-staining) like Tuff Stuff into the thing and get it freed up. Worked on two of mine.

As for the other ones ...... well, now I keep a knife in the door pocket.

:2cents:

you say it moves about 6". You saying it will extend out then lock? Or is there just 6" of slack in the belt? If the retractor is moving enough to let out a few inches of belt then it locks I would say it has debris, a penny, something in it. Only thing I could recommend is gain access to the retractor. Whatever you do be carefull with it. Pulling or prying on things around the retractor makes the assembly not trustworthy. Seatbelts save lives. Nothing to take lightly. I would also no be opposed to trying to park on a heavy incline up or down hill to attempt to release it.

I folded down the back seat on the escape to load something up...then when I went to lift the seat, the middle seatbelt won't "un ratchet" to allow the seat to lift up!

I can get it to move about 6" and that's about it.

(I had to be very careful how I worded this post to avoid Viagara ads!):whistling:

I've tried feeding the belt back into the slot..but it won't release tension.

Any suggestions on how to release the tension on a seat belt? It's built into the top of the middle back seat and is not very accessable when the seat is folded down.

First of all not sure what year model you have but the restraint system most likely has a longer warranty than the base 3-36. It could be as long as 6-60 or even 8-80. So call your dealer and ask. Next if that fails you can look right where the seat belt enters the top of the seat and there should be a button in the center of the belt to keep it from retracting to far when the seat is folded down. That may be trapped under the cover that the seat belt goes thru. A good tug may pull it back thru. If it is missing that is why the seat got trapped. Next you can go in thru the rear hatch and undo the bottom of the seat back cover and see if you can reach up under it and release the belt. The cover has a simple platstic lock that kind of curls over each other and can be released. You may be able to roll the seat cover over itself and expose the retractor. If you can expose it you can unbolt it and get it to release. I hope you still have restraint coverage that would be the best. If you need any more help let me know and I can possibly send you some info via email.

kickshot

Edited by KICKSHOT

Tap retractor with a hammer.. not hard but hard enough to make it vibrate..

tap easily and every tap strengthen the tap little by little..while doing so, keep trying to pull (just a little) on the seat belt to disengage it..

not sure where your retrator is located... some are on the floor, some in the wall and some are in the ceiling of the vehicle..either way you may have to dis-assemble a panel to achieve visability and accessability to the retractor...