I don't know anyone with another Venture, nor have I ever road one before. I always owned in-line 4's. So I'm asking... are these bikes suppose to sound like a v-twin? That's how mine sounds. It starts right up(min. choke), idle's good, but when you take off, it luggs(not boggs) a bit. It seems to have good power and speed, but lower rpm, it sounds like a v-twin... and luggs a bit, at slower speeds.

Not sure what you mean by "lugs a bit" in the context of being like a v-twin.

The point of v-twins is they have great low end torque, so you can run them at low rpm without lugging. In line fours on the other hand really need to be spun up to produce any power and lug terribly at low rpm.

The Venture V-4 is in between. It's got better low end torque than an in line four but not near as much as a v-twin (of similar displacement).

It does like to rev though. If you're below 3,000 RPM it's not producing much power. You can put down the street at 1500 rpm, but if you want to get moving you gotta get the rpm up.

Hope this helps.

First of all, what bike do you have? 1st gen ? ... 2nd gen ?? what year is it?

It should not sound like a V-twin ... because, it's not a V-twin.

When taking off in 1st gear, it should not be sounding like it is lugging. You could lugg it in any other gear but not 1st IMHO.

First of all, what bike do you have? 1st gen ? ... 2nd gen ?? what year is it?

It should not sound like a V-twin ... because, it's not a V-twin.

When taking off in 1st gear, it should not be sounding like it is lugging. You could lugg it in any other gear but not 1st IMHO.

I'll bet a guy used to riding a V-twin could lug it. If you try to get rolling by just easing out the clutch without rolling the throttle up it'll buck like a bronco. This is where I'm confused though - someone used to inline fours should be used to lots of throttle and clutch slipping to get moving. Shouldn't lug under those conditions.

But I will agree, I can't think of any reason it should "sound" like a V-twin.

Post what area you live in (city) and I'm sure someone from Upstate NY will respond.

I'd check to make sure all four exhausts are equally hot after a few minutes running (but don't burn yourself), run a can of Seafoam thru, and if you hook up with another member do a carb tune.

And no... they do not sound like a Vtwin.

It seems to have good power and speed, but lower rpm, it sounds like a v-twin... and luggs a bit, at slower speeds.

I'm riding an 09 (2nd Gen) and can hit 60mph in 3rd easy before shifting to 4th. Get the revs up before up-shifting. If it still lugs or slips... possible clutch issue as well?

Sorry about the lingo... been a "hotrodder" forever. I have a 84 Venture. My last bike was a 1100 Ninja. I'm not saying it sounds like a Harley twin, which is kind of "choppy", it's more like a cruiser bike twin. It's also not smooth in the lower rpm(1st gear). It feels like it's missing until you get on the gas. It will smooth itself out the faster you go, and it sounds normal. Its just when you rev it , and pulling off from 1st gear, does it NOT sound right.

Sounds to me like you have some tuning issues. I dont know how long you have owned the bike or of the maintenance of it before you acquired it, but you might want to consider a complete tuneup. Replacing the plugs caps and wires would be a good start. Also a bit of seafoam in the gas tank wouldn't hurt either, also a carb sync. Let us know a bit of the bikes history and we can get you pointed in the right direction....

You might also have a diaphragm problem. Squidley is right this time,(well he's right a lot of the times) it needs a complete going over,,,, that 84 should purr like a humming bird.

Don't let that get out. Lonna will have to bring him down a bit.....Again.:whistling: But he is right. I would start with a can of Sea-Foam. Then follow the other suggestions.

You might also have a diaphragm problem. Squidley is right this time,(well he's right a lot of the times) it needs a complete going over

Don't let that get out. Lonna will have to bring him down a bit.....Again.:whistling: But he is right.

I can always count on my brothers to keep me grounded...or atleast stomp me in the ground

:rasberry:

I can always count on my brothers to keep me grounded...or atleast stomp me in the ground

:rasberry:

If you were to be laid on the ground (well that's another story) but if that were to happen and someone were to stomp you,,,,,,,,,,,,, then it would not be called a STOMP,,,,,,,, it would be more like a boun

If you were to be laid on the ground (well that's another story) but if that were to happen and someone were to stomp you,,,,,,,,,,,,, then it would not be called a STOMP,,,,,,,, it would be more like a boun

Why did my keyboard quit there??????? maybe it's not running on all 4.

It could just be me. Like I was saying, I've always owned in-line 4's. A little history on the bike. Purchased it from a guy who had it for a few years. He never did any work on it himself(not even a wash), he just rode it. The good was that he did take it to the bike shop everytime he had a problem. The thing was, he said he kept dumping money into it and was done with it. He went and purchased a new bike(Yamaha Royal Star). The Venture sat in his heated garage for "he said" about a year and a half. He did keep the battery charged, stabil in the tank, and he also said that he would start it from time to time. I was told that the stabil had been in the tank all along. I purchased the bike.

Well, I finally had a chance to go over it and realized that 1 cyl wasn't firing(one pipe was cold). I changed all the fluids, the filters, plugs, and sync'd the carbs. Right after the plug change, all cyl's were firing. Then after the sync(waay off), the bike ran GREAT! The thing is, "to me" it sounds like a twin(putt, putt, putt)thats why I asked. Now... I did a search on the net of sound clips for the 1st Gens and yeah, thats what I hear. One thing that I questioned was the gas/reserve thing. I drained the fuel, but I don't know if I got it ALL. Did put new gas in though and didn't try the seafoam yet(thats next). I can live with it this way, but am a little bummed about the low speed/low rpm lag. I'm not giving up though. One more thing... I just want to thank everyone who has helped me, the site itself, and a BIG thanks for the guru/'s who opened it. I'd be lost without it. Thanks again!

I'm riding an 09 (2nd Gen) and can hit 60mph in 3rd easy before shifting to 4th.

Don it will do 148 kph (92mph) before it hits rev limiter. :stirthepot:

Hfab sounds like your on the right trac. As mentioned sea foam and ride the hell out of it. That ought to clean it up. The sound you here may be right just not sure it sounds like a twin, maybe a twin with an attitude :rotf:

Congrats to you and where are the pictures

Brad