IGNORED

Home Theater

dunvilsteev

I am renovating my basement, basically a 12x20 room + hallway. I plan on getting a new TV with an additional sound system, but in only the $500 range for the stereo. While I have the place ripped apart, I thought I would tack in some rear speaker cable, so it is hidden under the drywall.

What cable should I buy? How thick should it be? I guess I'm looking for midrange cable to match a midrange stereo?? Any other advice while the room awaits the drywall would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

I did my theater a couple of years ago, one thing that I was told at the time was to run the best speaker cable in the wall, should you decide to upgrade your speakers and or stero system down the road you will be wired for it, the cost difference wasn't huge at that time I did mine. Sorry I am not sure what size wire it is but it is way bigger than

I thought it would be. Other than that maybe want to insulate the walls for better sound in the theater room an to help keep the sound in the theater room.

John

Doing it right means to use higher quality materials from the start to prepare for the inevitable upgrade later. Trust me on this, I know... Here's a place to start http://www.monstercable.com/ while doing the wiring install dimmer switches for all lights, you'll appreciate the mood settings the next time your saddled up next to your main squeeze. From there I'll give you another site to seriously consider... http://www.mancavesite.org/ give special attention to the card tables and Kegerators. :rotf: good luck with the remodel. God Bless. mike

Edited by Mikealiasmike
added pics

I used to buy 12 gauge speaker wire from Parts Express for a decent price, just as "High Quality" as Monster for a LOT less!! It was near audiophile quality, not quite 99.999% pure but was O2 free, about 99.97% pure copper. I still have some good lengths of it if you are interested and in the area, get it out of my shed!!

The longer the run of wire, the thicker gauge you want. 16 gauge zip cord is really not the way you want to go but will work as speaker wire. As mentioned, should you want to upgrade the system in the future spend the extra for good speaker wire. You want it as pure as possible, and oxygen free so that it doesn't tarnish over time. Impurities will impede the electron flow resulting in very minor distortions that the average human can not really detect but the purists insist they can notice, and in theory do indeed exist!!

What route are you going with speakers?? Without good speakers even the finest amp will sound like crap whereas cheaper systems sound better with quality speakers...

Don't waste a cent on Monster Cables.

For that distance, 14 gauge will be more wire than you need, and future proof. The cheap stuff is, in most cases, as good as the expensive ... even more so in your price range.

If you had a 40ft x 20ft room, and were spending $50 000 on the project, the answer would be different :)

i'd just go with the retro look, black and white t.v. with rabbit ears for reception.....T.V trays for the food! Throw in a brown polyester couch with wooden peg style legs. :doh:

Well Hell... then we're done!!!

But thanks everyone.... avoid the Monster stuff, get 16 ga. or higher. No gold connectors and the clearest copper I can get!!! I'll look like an audiophile going into the store (until they ask me a question!)

Canadians: What do you figure... Best Buy, Future Shop, Radio Shack (Source) ??

OK, so I dropped the ball with monster wires :doh:. I actually didn't put them in my walls but when the job was done I'd wished I had gone with a heavier wire hence was told Monster by others. So with that in mind I still say a kegerator and card table, I noticed no one argued THAT point :rotfl::rotf:

monoprice .com.............Best Place for any electronic wiring.......speaker wires, hdmi cables any connection wires for tv and stereos......Quality is very good...:lightbulb:

I've used them before for a small thing and just got my order for the 55" we're putting into the new "Man Cave"

I got a ceiling mount, 4 speaker mounts, 25' HDMI cable, 25' TOSLINK cable, 25' RG6 cable, 6' power cable, panel with electrical outlet and wire pass through for the ceiling, two wall hookup plates for the rear speakers and 250' of 16 GA speaker wire. $165 to my door. Locally I'd have spent almost double that just for the ceiling mount.

I agree though, if you're going to bury it in a wall (mine is in the attic) you might want to go ahead and do 12 or 14 GA speaker wire.

monoprice.com

Canadians: What do you figure... Best Buy, Future Shop, Radio Shack (Source) ??
Are you getting a qualified electrician to do the other wiring. You know, the kind that get "electrical permits" and finish with "electrical inspections". Anyway, electrical wholesalers will most likely have the wire for less than small box retailers.

Don't forget to wire in a data line and an Internet connection to your router.

When I wired my home theater I used a special UL approved speaker wire for in the wall. I got it at the Lowe's home improvement center. I mounted quick connect speaker wire adapters on the wall for each speaker. I put in a 7:1 system with 2 rear, 2 middle, 2 front speakers about 6 feet up on the wall, then the center speaker and sub wolfer.

monoprice.com has some of the best pricing out there - especially their wall mounts.

when looking at the HDMI cables.. .there was on that was shielded for in the wall installations... I have had problems with that one due to the weight and it backing out of the connection...not a huge deal (zip tie it to the mounting bracket fixed the issue).

They have GREAT stuff...check them out.

Do you already have system?

Onkyo has some decent products at a decent price. I would stay away from an "all in one" solution (amp, receiver, dvd ,etc) like the plague.

When I wired my home theater ... I put in a 7:1 system with 2 rear, 2 middle, 2 front speakers about 6 feet up on the wall, then the center speaker and sub wolfer.

This is also a good suggestion. Even if you're putting in a 5.1 system go ahead and install the extra runs for a future upgrade.

+1 for Onkyo

and +1 for monoprice.com - cheapest cables and decent,, espec for just reals of speaker wire.

Had some component cables from them that were too stiff and would back out .. but for the most part much better than the overpriced big box stores

checkout Crutchfield.com also for home theater systems, they have a very educational website.