IGNORED

Anyone Ever "Creamed" A Gas Tank??

bongobobny

I just picked up a spare 1st Gen gas tank to put into the '84 and am thinking of creaming it before I install, and having never done one I'm looking for insight...

Check with Whoomp. He just finished doing the tank off my Virago for me. Not sure which product he used. But he said it was relatively easy to use.

I'm never used the Red Kote but have used Kreem in an old CL350 tank. I'm not saying that it is better or worse than Red Kote but it worked just fine. You started by putting some nuts, bolts, gravel, whatever in the tank and shake it for a good while to help break loose any rust. Then you flushed it out and there was an acid solution that you used to prepare it for the coating. Then you put in the Kreem and rotate the tank for a while to ensure that is was evenly coated. I think you turned it a few more times at certain intervals but i don't remember for sure. It ended up with an almost epoxy like lining on the inside.

There are actually a few videos on YouTube showing the process of Kreeming and probably Red Kote also.

I used a tank sealer on the auxiliary tank I built for the trike. Don't remember what product I used but it worked well. Ended up with a nice epoxy type finish inside. I can look it up if yopu want me too.

Larry

PS: OK I looked up what I used -- http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Edited by Carbon_One
added info

I have nothing to add. I just don't know how to save this thread without posting, and it may come in useful for a friend of mine in a few weeks.

At the top of this page is a link button that says thread tools, click that and scroll down to subscribe to this thread

Larry

I used a tank sealer on the auxiliary tank I built for the trike. Don't remember what product I used but it worked well. Ended up with a nice epoxy type finish inside. I can look it up if yopu want me too.

Larry

PS: OK I looked up what I used -- http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Thanks, Larry, but I think I will give the Red Kote a try as it is a lot cheaper and for the $28 it will do 2 tanks!

You may be interested to know I am going to try to fit a 1st gen gas tank mounted backwards in the Hannigan probably trhis summer or fall. Backwards so that the filler neck is at the trunk...

I used Kreem on an '73 TS 400 gas tank that I rehabed a few years ago and it is still holding in that tank. Relatively easy to use with good results.

Having never used the Red Kote I can't comment on that, but if the directions for the Red stuff are like Kreems, and it says DON'T let it get on any paint that you want to keep....believe it. I let a few drops of the acid wash splatter on the paint on the Suzuki and even though I rinsed it off immediately it stained the paint.

Another possible option is if you have a Gas Tank Renu Company anywhere nearby they do an excellent job. One of my friends had them coat a 3 gallon gas tank from his log splitter. The vibration had actually worn a small hole in the tank. It cost him $75 but was a perfect and durable job. The coating that they use almost looked like pick up spray on bedliner material.

Thanks, Larry, but I think I will give the Red Kote a try as it is a lot cheaper and for the $28 it will do 2 tanks!

You may be interested to know I am going to try to fit a 1st gen gas tank mounted backwards in the Hannigan probably trhis summer or fall. Backwards so that the filler neck is at the trunk...

Good luck with that project. If it works out well I'm betting more then a few of the Hannigan trikers will follow suit. :thumbsup2::080402gudl_prv:

Larry

I have used this product on four tanks, a tractor, lawn mower and two bikes; I have been very happy with it. Dries to a semi transparent blue color. Oldest tank was done four years ago, no problems so far.

http://www.northernfactory.com/Attachments/attachments/medium/Specialty/RW0125-8.jpg

http://www.northernfactory.com/storefrontB2CWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=12019&itm_index=0

Bob,

Make sure what ever you use is alcohol compatible. I did the tank on my '32 Ford may years before they started adding ethanol and the sealer eventually turned to snot and plugged up the whole works from the tank to the carb.

I used the Caswell - Masey product on a Clarke Plastic gas tank (which are supposed to be impossible to paint), it allowed the paint to adhear. Its an easy to use gas tank liner - with really no odor to speak of. It will work with all types of tanks.

Stu