IGNORED

How high would gas have to go.....

Venturous Randy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't really care about the price of gas. my car averages 37 mpg. and i have a scooter that gets 54 mpg, my bikes get 43 mpg each. inflation does'nt bother me either. i eat way less than i used to, and i am in the process of buying a whole lot less. kind of like ford motor co., i saw this crap coming 10 years ago. i say bring it on. i'm ready for anything they can try to screw me out of. the only ones i have to worry about is linda, me, and my puppy, and i'm old, and lived my good life to the fullest. :rasberry:

it's a heck of a lot cheaper than filling up my Silverado. CHA-CHING.

Ain't that the truth!! I got my '05 Silverado last December and it cost appx $65-$68 bucks to fill it. It's now almost $80. Thankfully we don't drive it all that much .... can usually go 2 weeks on a tank.

EDIT: I should clarify this a bit.... I never let a gas tank get below 1/4 ... cage or scoot.

Edited by SilvrT

Ain't that the truth!! I got my '05 Silverado last December and it cost appx $65-$68 bucks to fill it. It's now almost $80. Thankfully we don't drive it all that much .... can usually go 2 weeks on a tank.

My '98 Suburban has a 40 gallon tank..... :yikes::crying:

As far as how high will the fuel prices get before it affects my riding? Well, my bike is 1) My primary form of transportation 2) one of my ONLY sources of really being able to get out and relax so as long as the extended weekend rides financially fit I'll still be riding. Sadly, work is piling up and my 'free time' is getting less and less as time goes on; but again, riding helps me keep whatever little sanity I have left...

My '98 Suburban has a 40 gallon tank..... :yikes::crying:

Ditto to my F-250 (well I believe it is only a 36 gal tank). Luckily I don't drive it much anymore (although I do love driving that thing - boy oh boy is it comfy on long hauls... and getting 600+ miles to a tank and only stopping for fuel makes for a nice and efficient travel - although it really takes a toll on the bladder) and I don't have that big 'ol trailer I used to either.

With that said, averaging 18 mpg on a long haul with that big ol cab and all that comfort is nothing that I am gonig to complain about. After all it is a heck of a lot better than my 94 F-150 that would get 14mpg driving 55 with a tailwind downhill...

Actually, I plan on riding to work as soon as it is warm eanough in the mornings. I have to run premium in my suv. I get 17 mpg on the highway and I have a 53 mile ride in. That's 8 gallons a day. My bike gets about 42 mpg. That's 3 gallons a day. I forsee about 15-20 thousand miles getting put on the bike this year at the present gas prices. So my riding is not going down, it's going up.

Actually, I plan on riding to work as soon as it is warm eanough in the mornings. I have to run premium in my suv. I get 17 mpg on the highway and I have a 53 mile ride in. That's 8 gallons a day. My bike gets about 42 mpg. That's 3 gallons a day. I forsee about 15-20 thousand miles getting put on the bike this year at the present gas prices. So my riding is not going down, it's going up.

I'm with you. I had a few errands to run today. Jumped in the Hemi Durango, then jumped back out. I went and filled, (fuel light had just come on), the venture for less then $20.00 and used it to run my errands. Was a nice day to ride and saved money of gas. We are currently at $3.60 here for regular unleaded.

I can't wait to get back to the states this summer (annual family vacation in Cape Coral) as $3.60 a gallon is a bargain, compaired to our rip off prices in the UK, our prices are so high that our gas stations show per litre prices, just now gas is £1.35 per litre, that is around £6.75 per Uk (metric) gallon, slightly more than the US measure.

But at todays exchange rate of $1.63 to the UK £ that is over $11 a gallon, and our lovely goverment tax is around 80p ($1.30) per litre. The average Joe is getting priced off the road, the joke is the North sea has been pumping the stuff off my coastline for decades, but unlike the Arab countries, all our oil money goes to London.

Cheers.

In the first week of march I went down to florida for bike week with a buddy from work. We took his diesel pickup and his toy hauler. I normally scoff at trailering....but it was cold, and the weather where I live is pretty unpredictable that time of year.

Anyway....his truck averaged 8mpg - 2400 miles round trip....$3.85 a gallon. It came to about .50 a mile. After that trip - the 3.50/gallon for the 5 or 6 gallons in my bike seems like NOTHING.

My bike is my only hobby....in fact, riding is almost a religion for me. I'll give up cable, turn off the heater/ac, stop mowing my yard, and stop driving my car before I stop riding my bike.

I look at this a little different. Because of the high gas prices ($3.89/ - $3.95/ today) I will have to use the bike more for everything. Errands - Shopping - Joy Rides If I am burning fuel it will be with the high miles/gallon vehicle - aka my bike

:080402gudl_prv:

High gas prices are a given anymore. Trips for everything that can be hauled on the bike will be done more so this year. What really hurts is filling my diesel tank for my tractors. No tractors, no farming. Personally I guess whatever it is ,it is, We'll all pay it or walk. Economists a few months ago stated $95.00 a barrel was the breaking point for a global recession. We have passed that easily. I don't know about you people but one of them super-mini Japanese pickups would save me a bundle. If they were legal to run on Americas roads. No chance of that though we would be using to little gas then.But hey everything is going to turn out great this year Prince Andrew is getting Married!:mo money::rotfl::rotfl::D

Filled up Saturday after a delightful 150 mile run to Estes Park and back; then Yesterday I got on 50 miles along the foothills. Rain today; Sat and Monday will be great and out days.

Current mid-grade price: $3.509. If it reaches $4 I'll empty the luggage racks for shopping, park the old 92 Buick, except for sever winter rain, hail, lightening and snow storms in the summer!

How will gas prices affect my riding?

I breath, so I plan to ride :cool10:(until I can't any more).

Enjoy the rubber down!

JackZ

:Venture::7_6_3[1]: The Pint: ANY direction will do as long at is it not straight up or straight down! LOL

It would have to go WAY higher than that. When you think about it, $40.00 for a 500 mile weekend. What is that? Probably 10 hours of riding? Where else can you get 10 hours of great entertainment and soul cleansing therapy for $40.00? How much does it cost to go to a ball game or even a movie and neither of those would give you 10 hours of entertainment. :)

AMEN brother:twing: At $4.00 a gallon for diesel and an 85 gal tank on the truck which gets about 18MPG 1ton The VW bug diesel gets about the same as the bike at 44MPG but the bike is more fun to drive but its actually cheaper to drive the bug cause I gotta fill up my ride and the wifes ride so I just don't eat out 2 days a week

It would have to go WAY higher than that. When you think about it, $40.00 for a 500 mile weekend. What is that? Probably 10 hours of riding? Where else can you get 10 hours of great entertainment and soul cleansing therapy for $40.00? How much does it cost to go to a ball game or even a movie and neither of those would give you 10 hours of entertainment. :)

Boss,, you forgot to factor in the Dairy Queen expenses.. That $40 weekend just went to $150.. LOL :big-grin-emoticon: :mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money: :stirthepot:

Guest scarylarry
Filled up Saturday after a delightful 150 mile run to Estes Park and back; then Yesterday I got on 50 miles along the foothills. Rain today; Sat and Monday will be great and out days.

Current mid-grade price: $3.509. If it reaches $4 I'll empty the luggage racks for shopping, park the old 92 Buick, except for sever winter rain, hail, lightening and snow storms in the summer!

How will gas prices affect my riding?

I breath, so I plan to ride :cool10:(until I can't any more).

Enjoy the rubber down!

JackZ

:Venture::7_6_3[1]: The Pint: ANY direction will do as long at is it not straight up or straight down! LOL

As soon as the weather broke here I started using my for grocery shopping makes the trip to the store alot better....

I dumped $100 into my F150 the other day; and I didn't even fill the gosh dang thing. :225:

Ya I put $113.00 into the tank of my F150 last week.:depressed:

I usually put on 10 to 12 thousand miles a year on the bike and also on the truck; the bike gets around 38 mpg and the truck less than half that. Shucks I might have to put even MORE miles on the bike this year.:cool10:

I swore to myself when i got my second bike, and knew that I was hooked, that i'd never be so broke that there wasn't money for gas in my motorcycle. I'll sacrifice whatever I need to, so that I can have my entertainment, and therapy. I've learned to ride 350 + mile days, and not buy soda, snacks, or ever DQ, but i'll always put the gas in, and close my eyes, so I don't see how much it costs.

The sad part, is that when I do have to put gas in my 87 Dodge truck, I pump real slow, so I get more bang for my buck.

Steve

As many of you have noted, the higher gas goes, the more inclined you are to take the bike rather than your truck or car to work or run errands. Let me clearify my question a little better. How high would gas prices have to go to impact your fun rides? By fun rides, I mean those times you just jump on your bike and go, without have a particular agenda, and just riding for the fun of it.

RandyA

As many of you have noted, the higher gas goes, the more inclined you are to take the bike rather than your truck or car to work or run errands. Let me clearify my question a little better. How high would gas prices have to go to impact your fun rides? By fun rides, I mean those times you just jump on your bike and go, without have a particular agenda, and just riding for the fun of it.

RandyA

I still say the bike is the cheapest form of entertainment out there. Even at $10 a gallon, a full tank is still cheaper than dinner and a movie and a whole lot more fun. I don't think gas prices will ever affect my "fun rides", but it will probably stop me from doing other things.