IGNORED

Clutch Spring

Rick Haywood

OK I see all the threads and posts about upgrading the spring on the RSV clutch but can't find anything on where to purchase the upgraded spring kit. I am getting a tiny bit of slippage when I really roll the throttle back in 2bd gear and thought if I changed the spring to the upgraded one it would stop this. What do you all think anf if you think mit will solve the problem which kit and where do I get it.

Thanks Rick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bought and installed many heavy duty clutch spring kits from PCW Racing - $70

http://www.pcwracing.net/page10.htm

Their product has always been perfect and their service fantastic. You have to order by phone. When you talk to them they will ask if you want just the spring kit or all the friction plates too - in my opinion there is absolutely no need to replace the friction disks unless you have completely burnt them out (and I have not seen that on a Venture or RSTD in normal use). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

BTW - this replacement is VERY easy to do, but do NOT attempt it without an inch-lb torque wrench! The spring bolts have a very low torque spec, and it is unwise to try and use a calibrated wrist instead of the right torque wrench.

Edited by V7Goose

I have bought and installed many heavy duty clutch spring kits from PCW Racing - $70

Their product has always been perfect and their service fantastic. You have to order by phone. When you talk to them they will ask if you want just the spring kit or all the friction plates too - in my opinion there is absolutely no need to replace the friction disks unless you have completely burnt them out (and I have not seen that on a Venture or RSTD in normal use). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

BTW - this replacement is VERY easy to do, but do NOT attempt it without an inch-lb torque wrench! The spring bolts have a very low torque spec, and it is unwise to try and use a calibrated wrist instead of the right torque wrench.

Do they have reasonable shipping charges ? or ship free ? :think:

Just ordered mine from Earl (Skydoc). My clutch is not slipping bad, just when I roll on the throttle in 3rd and 4th gear it seems. Hope this does the trick.:fingers crossed: I would think we would get more than 24k miles out of the oem though.

Hello Rick Hope this helps :sun:

I did a lot of checking around and decided to go with PCW. I talk to John at PCW, great guy, instructions will come with the kit. (pics below) I installed the kit on my 02 about 60,000 ago, clutch lever pressure stayed the same and still going strong.

PCW Racing (John)

http://www.pcwracing.net

112 Henry street

Schenectady NY 12304

518-346-7203

I talk to John, great guy, instructions will come with the kit. (pics below) I installed the kit on my 02 about 60,000 ago, clutch lever pressure stayed the same and still going strong.

The Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit I offer in the Classifieds uses ALL Genuine Yamaha replacement parts EXCEPT for the Heavy Duty Clutch Diaphragm Spring which is the PCW Racing Spring. The reason I use the PCW spring is because there is not a better Clutch Diaphragm Spring currently on the market at this time. My kit comes with a link to complete written instructions WITH color install pics. The shipping is included in the price of the kit. I also include a full friction disc to replace the 1/2 disc at the rear of the clutch pac. "One Click" Paypal "buy it now" option is available in my Classified ad. I also accept checks and money orders.

Even MORE important than where you get you kit from is the fact that this issue should be addressed in a timely manner as the friction discs are in danger of premature wear due to the failure of the Clutch Diaphragm spring. For the VR.ORG members that have excessive friction disc wear, I offer to supply the additional friction discs with NO increase in shipping charges. Only the ACTUAL cost of the additional friction discs. The Steel Clutch Plates are also available with the no additional shipping charges deal.

I offer this kit to the VR.ORG members to solve a common problem with the Single Clutch Diaphragm Spring on the MKII VR and Second Gen. RSV/RSTD's with factory quality parts, and the finest aftermarket parts available, to head off excessive clutch friction disc wear.

I also PERSONALLY support the install of this kit thru email, PM, and REAL TIME telephone support.

Here is the link to the Second Gen. Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2905&title=second-genheavy-duty-clutch-spring26amp-3b-full-disc-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Here is the link to the First Gen. MKII VR Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2906&title=first-genmkii-vr-heavy-duty-clutch-spring26amp-3b-full-disc-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Here is the link to the First Gen. MKI VR Clutch Springs Kit:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2709&title=first-gen1983-1985-mki-heavy-duty-clutch-springs26amp-3b-full-disc-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

If you have any questions about the Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit, or the install, please feel free to PM me.:thumbsup2:

Earl

HF has a 1/4 drive 20-200in/lbs for about $15 in their last flyer.

This is the kit I used. PCW

If you do go with the "calibrated wrist" like I did, a reverse drill bit is the easiest way to get the broken bolt out. :whistling:

There is another clutch upgrade I haven't seen mentioned here and that's the one I went with a few years and about 70,000 miles ago.. That is the Barnett Pressure plate.. I've seen it called overpriced cuz it will cost more than the above mentioned upgrades.. But it is NOT just a heavier spring to use in Yamaha's IMHO weak design... It is an actual automotive type pressure plate to replace the original weaker designed plate.. I changed the friction plates in mine but probably didn't have to..

I've been running Barnetts since the 70s in Shovelheads and BSAs and have never had a failure... I don't know much about the aforementioned upgrades because I've never used them but if you want to do a one time bulletproof clutch install go with the Barnett... Just set it and forget it...

Note: It will increase the clutch lever pull at first but you won't notice it after a few rides.. My buddy notices it when he rides mine and his pulls easier with the stock setup..

http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/images/Barnett/BT511-90-10002.jpg

If you do go with the "calibrated wrist" like I did, a reverse drill bit is the easiest way to get the broken bolt out. :whistling:

Thanks for the Info but I have learned over and over many times to stop using the wrist torque wrench. In fact I probably have one of the best easy out sets you can buy. I went to Menards and bought a torque wrench yesterday before I even ordered my spring kit so I wouldn't attempt to do it the other way.

Thank You all for your comments and they all helped me make my decission. Nothing against any of the kits/parts or what have you but I am going to go with the Barnett Spring update kit. I like the fact that it is a pressure plate with coils springs and since I ride two up most of the time and pull a trailer I believe it is the best way for me to go.

Again Thanks

Rick

Thank You all for your comments and they all helped me make my decission. Nothing against any of the kits/parts or what have you but I am going to go with the Barnett Spring update kit. I like the fact that it is a pressure plate with coils springs and since I ride two up most of the time and pull a trailer I believe it is the best way for me to go.

Again Thanks

Rick

Please let us know how you like it once you get it installed.

Specifically I'd be interested to know the following:

1) Difference in clutch pull 'stiffness'

2) Difference in the size of friction zone

3) Difference in the location of which the friction zone starts/ends

Obviously these are all subjective, but a reasonable attempt at descirbing the differences would be appreciated. I know various members have discussed this at length, but it is always nice to see as many observations as possible on such a topic (especially given the wide range of observations that have come out of such an installation).

Thanks!

Rick you won't be sorry with the Barnett.. They've been making quality clutch parts for 62 years for all kinds of bikes.. I love mine and it's never given me any trouble in over 70,000 miles... That's about twice the life of the stock clutch when it started slipping.. Good Luck

There is another clutch upgrade I haven't seen mentioned here and that's the one I went with a few years and about 70,000 miles ago.. That is the Barnett Pressure plate.. I've seen it called overpriced cuz it will cost more than the above mentioned upgrades.. But it is NOT just a heavier spring to use in Yamaha's IMHO weak design... It is an actual automotive type pressure plate to replace the original weaker designed plate.. I changed the friction plates in mine but probably didn't have to..

I've been running Barnetts since the 70s in Shovelheads and BSAs and have never had a failure... I don't know much about the aforementioned upgrades because I've never used them but if you want to do a one time bulletproof clutch install go with the Barnett... Just set it and forget it...

Note: It will increase the clutch lever pull at first but you won't notice it after a few rides.. My buddy notices it when he rides mine and his pulls easier with the stock setup..

http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/images/Barnett/BT511-90-10002.jpg

At one time I did considered the purple Barnett Pressure plate, after reading a few reviews I decided not to go with it because I was not sure about the clutch lever pressure. I know having a hydraulic clutch should have not made any adifference.

All the kits will do the job, there all good kits.

Edited by Al Bates

At one time I did considered the purple Barnett Pressure plate, after reading a few reviews I decided not to go with it because I was not sure about the clutch lever pressure. I know having a hydraulic clutch should have not made any adifference.

Yeah Al I saw some negative stuff on here about the Barnett too but it was mostly about the price.. But I installed my first Barnett in my 650 BSA in 1975 and yeah the the old cable clutch pulled quite a bit harder... But back then I had more balls than brains and was happy doing light to light wheelies after the upgrade..

I don't think the clutch lever pull is that much more than stock (On a Royal Star) but it is noticeable in a side by side comparison... IMHO the dependability of a quality product outweighs a little extra lever pull..

As far as the PCW name, there is no argument here. What is interesting is that some have recommended using the PCW supplied spring kit only. They want $69.95 for the kit plus shipping. Skydoc17 will sell you the same PCW spring and the rest in genuine Yamaha parts for $80.00 including shipping. And he will include full step by step instructions.

Saving a couple of bucks or helping one of the people who contribute a lot to this site. I know which one I would choose. I am fairly sure Earl will be there to help you on the phone when things don't go as planned.

HF has a 1/4 drive 20-200in/lbs for about $15 in their last flyer.

This is the kit I used. PCW

Look at the customer reviews on Harbor Freight's site regarding these wrenches, more so the 3/8", but also the 1/4" There have been more than a few say the wrench didn't click off when used and they snapped the first fastener off.

Gary

Edited by dingy
added including shipping note.

As far as the PCW name, there is no argument here. What is interesting is that some have recommended using the PCW supplied spring kit only. They want $69.95 for the kit plus shipping. Skydoc17 will sell you the same PCW spring and the rest in genuine Yamaha parts for $80.00. And he will include full step by step instructions.

Saving a couple of bucks or helping one of the people who contribute a lot to this site. I know which one I would choose. I am fairly sure Earl will be there to help you on the phone when things don't go as planned.

Look at the customer reviews on Harbor Freight's site regarding these wrenches, more so the 3/8", but also the 1/4" There have been more than a few say the wrench didn't click off when used and they snapped the first fastener off.

Gary

Just to keep this discussion fair and balanced, I thought I would add a couple of comments. Any implication that one upgrade kit is "better" than another is unfair. PCW has been selling us the spring upgrade kit for a fair price for many years. They were the first, and their competition does not offer anything that is better in any way. Their kit consists of all Yamaha official parts except for the upgraded spring, and they include specific instructions. In short, there is zero difference between what they sell and what is being sold in the classified, and they will spend at least as much time with you discussing the what and why of what you are doing as anyone else. They have treated us right for many years, and I think they deserve our business at least as much as anyone else does. Who you spend your money with is your business.

The Barnett pressure plate is pretty - up until you put the engine cover back on. After that, it functions just as good as the PCW spring at close to double the cost. It is an excellent product, as is the kit being sold by PCW and Skydoc. If it has something that is of more value to you, by all means, give them your money.

Harbor Freight sells hand tools that have a lifetime warranty. There is no shortage of people who are happy to badmouth discount products from any source. I have bought a lot of tools from Harbor Freight, as well as premium tools from name brand sources. In my opinion, some of the HF tools are excellent, and some are just Chinese junk - you need to look and touch them to decide for yourself. Personally, I have the HF inch-lb torque wrench and feel it is excellent value for the money. But just like any other product sold, there is no guarantee that you won't find a defective one.

Goose

As far as the PCW name, there is no argument here. What is interesting is that some have recommended using the PCW supplied spring kit only. They want $69.95 for the kit plus shipping. Skydoc17 will sell you the same PCW spring and the rest in genuine Yamaha parts for $80.00. And he will include full step by step instructions.

Gary

Not trying to knock skydoc at all but is it the same PCW spring??? Maybe he could clear this up because I saw in another post that he was using EBC springs...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47367

Not trying to knock skydoc at all but is it the same PCW spring??? Maybe he could clear this up because I saw in another post that he was using EBC springs...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47367

I would suggest you read post #8 in this thread.

And as Goose said, I am sure PCW will help, that is if you have trouble from 8-5 Mon-Fri.

And I wasn't knocking HF tools, I just got the 3/8" torque they sell, I suggested that the reviews are read and be forewarned to pre-check this tool. I have a lot of HF stuff, it is buyer beware.

Gary

I am also running the Barnett kit along with the Barnett carbon fiber discs. At the time I installed it, I had no knowledge of a PCW kit. This was back in 2004 and as such I cant offer a comparison of the two. That being said...it works great for me. I put 45k on the bike since with no problems. I wanted a completely different set-up then the factory one and the Barnett met that demand. These bikes are our babies and I dont mind spending a few extra bucks to keep her in the lifestyle in which she has been accustomed to.

I will add this: whatever way you may decide to go..if the kit doesnt have new bolts or if it does MAKE SURE YOU USE THEM!! Do not re-use the old ones. I tried to reuse the old bolts because back then the Barnett kit didnt come with them. First two torqued right. 3rd bolt snapped off. A tiny drill bit and an easy-out and a whole lot of prayers got the broken piece out. I used allen head bolts for the replacement bolts. With the Barnett plate it was a pain to install the bolts with the spring pressure working against you. What I did was use a speed handle with an allen socket and used my upper body to lean into the handle to compress the spring while turning the handle. Worked flawlessly.

One last thing, gaskets: I didnt like the paper thin factory gasket not to mention the price. I think it was 12 bucks then. Back in the 70's when I worked in a shop we made most of our gaskets from a roll of material. I bought a roll of rubber impregnated gasket material from the local auto parts store for 3 bucks and made my own gasket. That same roll also made several more gaskets, all much better quality then the factory stuff.

:mo money::mo money::mo money:

Guest scarylarry
The Barnett pressure plate is pretty - up until you put the engine cover back on.

Are you saying it lose it's appearance after that?:rotf::rotf::rotf:

I got my spring kit from PCW the week before SkyDoc announced that he would be selling the kit. I spent an hour on the phone with PCW and they were very friendly and helpful.

I have bought stuff from Skydoc and had to spend time on the phone with him and he also was very friendly and helpful.

FWIW

I have many tools from Craftsman, Snap-on, MAC, Master Mechanic, and Harbor Freight. All are lifetime warranty tools. Harbor freight is the only brand that I have never had to return a broken or defective tool. YET.

I have installed the PCW kit and at first was pleased but it has starting to slip again in fourth gear. Now my issue may not be the spring entirely but I am switching over to the Barnett setup as soon as I can.

P.S - The VR MKI uses the Barnett style clutch setup and with the upgraded EBC springs this may be a cost effective way to get a "Poor Man's Barnet". Just a thought.