I am looking to get a seat and backrest for my RSTD... I have a Mustang seat on my VTX1300 and I like it, but I recently sat on an Ultimate seat and man was it nice..... I was wondering if I could get some feedback, good, bad, or indiferent from anyone that has had either of these on their RSTD or RSV..

Thanks,

Robert C.

I have an Ultimate Seat on my RSTD. Only thing to keep in mind is that they don't wrap the foam in plastic to waterproof so it will soak up water through the stitching unless you cover them when washing or riding in the rain. Other than that I have no gripes and even more important the boss likes the pillion.

I am looking to get a seat and backrest for my RSTD... I have a Mustang seat on my VTX1300 and I like it, but I recently sat on an Ultimate seat and man was it nice..... I was wondering if I could get some feedback, good, bad, or indiferent from anyone that has had either of these on their RSTD or RSV..

Thanks,

Robert C.

There is a Mustang seat for sale in the Classifieds.

Not mine, but just noticed it.

Brian

I have the Ultimate on my 96 Royal... LOVE IT

had the corbin "comfort".... I have a bruised / chipped coxix ... was in pain after a short period of time.

the Ultimate puts the pressure on my outer hips vs directly on my coxix. I can ride for many hours before needing to get off and stretch.

I do still need to do it..but my hours are much more enjoyable.

I got the rear seat and backrest (on my 96, it required the rear seat for the backrest)

It was pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

I also got the seat covers for when it rains. As another poster stated, they do not cover the foam in plastic (keeps it cooler supposedly) and can absorb water.

I have not had an issue, or ridden in the rain... washing does not get them too wet as I try and keep the water off the seats..

I bought mine at a motorcycle event... they threw in the covers for free and shipped my old seats back to me for free. They also let me ride awound the day of the event without charging my card...if I liked them - keep them...otherwise return and no hastle return (assuming no damage)

good company... good product.

They do push you up a little further, and that is OK with me. I thought I needed risers to get the bars back... now I do not.

I looked at the mustang seats...they were fine. I chose the ultimate.

I tried the mustang with the backrest, very nice. I ended up selling it due to it being to shallow. I felt like all my weight was on my hip bones and with no wiggle room. It kinda makes you feel like your riding on the fuel tank. For reference, I'm 6' 235 lbs. Other wise it's a very well made seat and would definitely buy another one, just not for a RSTD.

Right now the butler mood has been the best for me. I would love to sit on an Ultimate.

I too have the Butt Butler Mod on the factory seat and very pleased with it. I have a rider's back rest from Diamond R, but I don't believe they make them for the RSTD any more. I think Utopia still does. I really like the seat beads, especially in hot weather. Those Ethiopian cab drivers knew what they were doing.

I have had an Ultimate seat on my RSTD for 3 seasons and it is great! You need to buy their rain covers too, though, as there is no plastic layer under the seat cover. I talked to them about this and they said the seat wasn't as comfortable when they had the plastic layer so they took it out.

The Yamaha/Corbin Comfort Cruise is a torture rack....

The Mustang repirtedly sets the rider up about an inch higher and further forward against the tank. I am 5'6" with a 29" inseam so I could not tolerate a higher position....

Economically the Oem Rick Butler mod and a diamond r or utopia backrest add a sheepskin and you will have a very comfortable ride if you are already satisfied with oem. I run a ultimate set with rider backrest and it is hard to beat I can ride twice as long as I could ride on the mustang. Like most have said the mustang pushes you forward. You do have to get the rain covers for the Ultimates because they will absorb as has been stated, But the design is part of the reason they are a head and shoulders above the Mustang.

The Ultimate seat was my first purchase for the 05RSTD. Had this sick feeling about shelling out about $600 for a motorcycle seat, and one that is not waterproof!

BEST INVESTMENT EVER!!!!

I have ridden 986 miles on her in one day gotten off and realized an hour later that my butt was not sore! Tried to keep her dry with a bike seat waterproof cover but she has had many a soaking with no apparent ill effect. Just got back from a 2400 mile trip to Texas and butt soreness is just not an issue for me anymore, ever!!! By the way I read here somewhere that you do "not" have to get the passenger seat.

here somewhere that you do "not" have to get the passenger seat.

For my bike, 96 Royal Star, it was a requirement in order to have the backrest. in my case, the BAckrest slips in to the read seat... right at the front.

While I did not HAVE to buy the rear seat...if I wanted a backrest... I did!

• 4 weeks later...

I read all the posts and reviews and settled on the Utopia. It installed as advertised and works as promised on my RSTD 05. Very comfortable with lots of middle back support, right where the ache used to be. I'm short but it was easy to find a comfortable position or even adjust it when riding. I no longer have to hang on to the grips when accelerating off a light. Just lean back and let the backrest take the load.

Now if I can only solve the problem of the engine heat on the floorboards.

Now if I can only solve the problem of the engine heat on the floorboards.

The Yamaha tinted lower wind vents STR-1D608-80-00 will help with this. Believe it or not, the floorboards stay cooler with the vents closed.

Still doesn't make my choice any easier.. :) I may just go with the Utopia backrest... The RSTD seat really isn't that bad.. It's definitely more comfortable that my stock Honda seat....

I did the Rick Butt Butler mod to my seat. Oh the joy of difference it makes. He will get/need some information from you (hight/weight/inseam) and you can tell him what you are looking for. He will do you a fine job. I went from 50 miles and aching/can't hardly walk, to 100 miles of stretching and taking a break. Shipping was around $60.00 for me here in Ky to him in Tx. Highly recommend this mod.

James

Well, I went ahead with the Utopia backrest. Glad I did.... Made a world of difference. Bob at utopia got the seat out when he said he would, it arrived two days later... Couldn't wait, wen straight out ang installed it. Took longer to gather the tools than to get the bracket mounted. Hve taken a couple of rides with it and man what a difference!!.... Next will be to get the seat modified...... It is comfortable, may just go with some type of pad, haven't decided yet...

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Ultimate seat In 2006 for my then new RSTD. I'm 6'7", and for most of the years since installation weighed 285lbs. The Ultimate was a great seat for most of those years, and has what must be the best backrest available. 45K miles later, the foam in the seat has compressed, resulting in a pressure point developing that impedes blood circulation to the male member. Couldn't put up with that, and just purchased a Corbin. Love the seat, but the backrest sucks - is located too far back. Has no fore-aft adjustment. So, I'm making a bracket to allow me to use the Ultimate backrest with the Corbin seat. If I had it to do over again, I'd just get a new Ultimate.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Corbin seat and you adjust fore-aft by putting in a longer hex head bolt to hold it in. Tip the backrest forward, lift up the cover, and put in progressively longer bolts until it moves forward enough. Unless it is another design, but the short bolts put mine WAyyyy too far back.

Hope that helps.

Scott:322:

• 2 weeks later...

Some Corbin's have the fore/aft adjustment, some don't, which happens to be the case with mine. However, I'm in the process of modifying the Ultimate backrest to work with the Corbin. When I get it finished, I'll post a photo.