IGNORED

Ask the Pros

Yammer Dan

OK I need a car. Tarus is rusting from bottom up. In another year it will be Ugly. Runs great but body is junk. I have found two cars. Retirement check won't go for new one. What I found is;

99 Buick Century only 23k for $6000. Most of the goodies on this one and Buicks are hard to beat for dependabilty. Not sure what size V-6 in this one but they do around 25 MPG from what I know about them. Was going to go for this one because of milage then this caught my eye.

99 Chrysler Concord LXI with 45K. Loaded. Has more goodies than the Buick and I think looks better Warden don't agree. Both have great looking bodies. I don't know much about Chysler dependabilty these days (ran them in 60's when they were Muscle Cars) What kind of MPG could I expect with this one and will it last for a while.

I think both of these are real low miles for the year and could last me for a while.

WHICH ONE??

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/inview/detail.jsp?ct=u&car_id=290785851&dealer_id=57764155&car_year=1999&dealership_view_name=kevinsautosaleswva&address=25113&sort_type=make_modelASC&cardist=5737

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/inview/detail.jsp?ct=u&car_id=290635226&dealer_id=57764155&car_year=1999&dealership_view_name=kevinsautosaleswva&address=25113&sort_type=make_modelASC&cardist=5737

One more question. The Tarus is loaded and runs great. Just looking at the body has me fed up with it and it has developed a shimmy at higher speeds lately. It is a 02. What is it worth as trade-in.

Edited by Yammer Dan

Yammer Dan,

My son drives a 2002 Concorde Limited ProAm model. The ride is woderful, when I can fold myself into it. I am too used to my pickup truck. The onboard computer shows real-time fuel mileage at about 28 on the interstate (75 MPH) with cruise control set. Somewhere around 18 in town. Have had no problems with the car in the year he's had it. Just be aware, body parts are spendy. He had another high school kid bump into the rear end of his car a month ago. The only damage done was breaking the bumper cover. Almost a thousand dollars to repair it.

We never had a Century. Did have a LeSabre once. 3100 motors will run almost as long and as strong as a First Gen!

Good luck,

Dave

I would stay away from the Concord, if I remember right there were some trans issues with them. The Buick would be a good choice, I drove one as a rental when we went to California and was happy with it. As far as your Taurus, dont bother trading it in as you wont get much, sell it outright and you'll be further ahead.

i agree with squid my 2001 concorde had the trany go at 65000 miles thank god the warrenty went t o 7 years/70000. also the airconditioner condeseor rust out on this model same as the intrepid did. it involves a dash removal and fender just to get to it. of course it wa a recall but chrysler was not too good on informing the owners. and the cost to you if you dont catch it. for the air can run a nice $1400 out of your pocket. i say go with the buick. just my 2 cents

Warden don't agree. Both have great looking bodies.

I can't advise you on the cars but I was really curious why you felt it necessary to comment about the fact that the Warden's body is as really good looking as the cars???

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rasberry: :witch_brew:

The only problem with the Buick that I know of in the lower intake manifold gasket on the 60* V6's. I just did one in the wife's car. They are famous for letting loose and dumping coolant into the oil. These gaskets can let loose at any time. Hers made it 215,000 miles but Ive read where some have let loose and soon as 50,000 miles.

We had a 98 Regal (same as century but with leather) It was a great car. They only put one size engine in if I remember right but the Regal GS had super chargers. Boss (not the wife)went thru 3 Regals over 10 years. Good cars. Bought ours new and traded it at 90k. No problems.

Have been an auto service tech for more than 15 years... this is no contest. Buy the Buick, a few problems here and there but proper maint goes a long way. That Chrysler was bad news from the word go.

As for the current ride. Find a busy corner and throw a sign in it. Take offers till one sounds right. It's just too hard to know what people will pay for stuff anymore.

Best of luck with the "new" ride!

Frank

Yammer, Sent you a PM on a 2002 Pontiac firebird

Whatever you do Yammer look at:

www.nadaguide.com

that way you'll be able to make an informed decision.

The reason I'm looking at these Joe is low milage. I have checked the book prices and the Buick only list for around 35 but it is in great shape with very low miles. I could probally get a few yrs out of this one and it will probally do around 25mpg. The Concord caught my eye and it is loaded with all the goodies. Have no idea what kind of mpg this one would get which is getting bigger all the time.

No Problem...

Im just a little curious as to why it says 1 unconfirmed message and when I select that the message says unread?...

It would appear you read it, but, what desiganates a confirmation? a response perhaps?

Personally, I'd buy a GM/Buick product or Toyota...The wife bought a Toyota Corolla S. Camerys are good to go also...

Shes in love with that car...

Just my 2 cents...

Oh one other thing ... look at trade in and retail price in NADAGUIDE. I always split the difference between the two and thats the MOST I buy and sell for.

Have been an auto service tech for more than 15 years... this is no contest. Buy the Buick, a few problems here and there but proper maint goes a long way. That Chrysler was bad news from the word go.

As for the current ride. Find a busy corner and throw a sign in it. Take offers till one sounds right. It's just too hard to know what people will pay for stuff anymore.

Best of luck with the "new" ride!

Frank

BUICK REGAL...... Had Friend had one for 14 years and sold it with 220,000mi, The Michigan Fertilizer (SALT) ate the body like candy but other brands was eaten alive in 8 to 10 years, so his BUICK withstood rusting better than most.

:080402gudl_prv:

Edited by frogmaster
Oh both are Buick...the REGAL w/ 3800 engine!!!!

I had a '93 Buick Riviera with the 3800 engine some years back. It was a smooth running car and never had a minutes' trouble with it. Only thing I ever had to replace on that car was the consumables (tires, wipers, brakes, etc.). I really liked the body style and all the toys, but the wife didn't (I gave her the car when I bought a 3/4 ton truck to pull the boat). If I remember correctly, it got around 23 MPG in town and 28 on the highway.

Sure am glad I live in a place where salt doesn't grow on the roads...

My opinion I would buy neither.For that much money you can get a low mileage 2003-2005 PT Cruiser.Plenty of leg room and head room.The Limited Edition is loaded pretty good and has plenty of carco space.The 2.5L with turbo has lotsa power and gets around 30 mpg highway.Just my opinion and I am sticking to it.MOPAR OR NO CAR.

My opinion I would buy neither.For that much money you can get a low mileage 2003-2005 PT Cruiser.Plenty of leg room and head room.The Limited Edition is loaded pretty good and has plenty of carco space.The 2.5L with turbo has lotsa power and gets around 30 mpg highway.Just my opinion and I am sticking to it.MOPAR OR NO CAR.

Maintenance costs are too high for my taste. The wife's mother has a PT turbo.

I would go with the buick, but 6,000 seems high to me for a 99 ? or am i reading this wrong ?

The 3800 had better gas mileage on the highway but the 3.1 and 3.4 were good motors if you don't get the intake gasket issue. (most do).

Brad