IGNORED

Any postal worker in here?

a1bummer

I could use some advice. I live in Thorp, WI. and I have 3 other mailboxes in front of my house on my property besides my own. The owners of the other 3 mailboxes won't help maintain the area in front of or around them so the postal carrier can keep our mail delivered. I don't think one of them is even being used. During the winter months, I have to keep the snow cleared out in front of them, or we get a notice from the carrier that they will not deliver our mail unless the snow is cleared away. Now I'm getting tired of maintaining OTHER peoples mailboxes. These mailboxes are NOT the responsibility of the USPS. Now how can I get these other mailboxes removed from the front of MY house? I'm sure I can't simply take down the mailboxes that don't belong to me and give them to the owner and tell them to take care of them themselves without getting into trouble. A federal offense? Does anybody have a possible solution or helpful advice as to how to resolve this issue without me resorting to being a jerk?

I currently have 6 in front of mine. Three on one end and three on the other. These include the neighbors to either side my side of the road, and the three houses across from me.

Talked with the PO and asked what could be done.

Plan of action.

1) Send letter to the other five that construction will happen in the ditch area to maintain proper draining.

2) State that the construction will start on a certain date (With NO END DATE) and to not have their delivery interrupted, they should remove and place their boxes in another area as to not change the order in which the mail is delivered. (if for some reason the delivery order will change due to the move, that must be cleared with the local postmaster but usually is not a problem). Also, notify the state AFTER you notify them so they move theirs LONG before the sate gets around to your request. When they inquire, state: "hey its the state, they will be here when they get here"

3) If boxes not removed by construction date, remove boxes and deliver to proper recipient.

4) Start construction - ( I am actually having the state come and "Draw" the ditch in front of my house.)

5) Continue construction (sowing grass, mowing grass, build your on personal new brick mailbox, build planter around new mailbox)

6) Always have a new "construction" project ready.

In about 6-12 months they will probably forget about moving them back.. If they try, they now have to have your approval.

:thumbsup2::big-grin-emoticon:

I could use some advice. I live in Thorp, WI. and I have 3 other mailboxes in front of my house on my property besides my own. The owners of the other 3 mailboxes won't help maintain the area in front of or around them so the postal carrier can keep our mail delivered. I don't think one of them is even being used. During the winter months, I have to keep the snow cleared out in front of them, or we get a notice from the carrier that they will not deliver our mail unless the snow is cleared away. Now I'm getting tired of maintaining OTHER peoples mailboxes. These mailboxes are NOT the responsibility of the USPS. Now how can I get these other mailboxes removed from the front of MY house? I'm sure I can't simply take down the mailboxes that don't belong to me and give them to the owner and tell them to take care of them themselves without getting into trouble. A federal offense? Does anybody have a possible solution or helpful advice as to how to resolve this issue without me resorting to being a jerk?

I don't understand. You have to clear the snow to get your mail delivered. Are these mailboxes separated so that it is extra work to get their's cleared? Or is it the same amount of effort, and you are tired of them not chipping in?

Dave

Not sure how much it applies, but here in Bowling Green we have an OLD subdivision with lot of old retired people that have delivery to the door. Local post master wanted to change route to street side delivery, and sent out letter to all residence to place mail boxes on odd side of street. Needless, people thru a fit and media complained about crimpled people having to cross the street to get mail, etc, etc, etc.

Local and state gov reps involved and turns out Local Postmaster does not have authority to change any existing routes or means of delivery, not even sequencly as a house is bought and sold.

Ok, I'll admit that I am a Postal Worker.. Was a carrier for 15 years before got sick of the snow..

YES it is YOUR; (all 3 addresses) responability to clear a path to your boxes... It really sucks that your neighbors wont help out..

Why they left a note saying they couldnt deliver is weird, I used to just no deliver and they would get the hint

How long does the PO hold mail that can not be delivered due to snow, and then what do they do with it?

Hmmmmmm........

I never get anything good in the mail, just bills.

If I stop shoveling snow does that mean that I will not get bills anymore??

Just a thought here.......... :think: :whistling: :snow2:

I don't understand. You have to clear the snow to get your mail delivered. Are these mailboxes separated so that it is extra work to get their's cleared? Or is it the same amount of effort, and you are tired of them not chipping in?

Dave

Thats what I was thinking as well.

Postal worker here too. Now that your all skeered of us postal workers, I would suggest that you contact your local postmaster and explain the situation to him/her and let him know that you plan to place your new mailbox in a separate location and where would be an appropriate location for the carrier.

Postal worker here too. Now that your all skeered of us postal workers, I would suggest that you contact your local postmaster and explain the situation to him/her and let him know that you plan to place your new mailbox in a separate location and where would be an appropriate location for the carrier.

I don't know how Florida PO operates but here in Ohio, your local PO will tell you where you can ( and can't) place your delivery box.

I'm not a postal worker but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express 2 months ago.

Dave

That about sums it up. I spend the money for the fuel and wear on my snow blower, and then shovel what the blower can't get to. With a degenerative joint disease and bad asthma, it can really be difficult and/or painful. I thought it would've been common sense that all the owners should share the expense/responsibility. I know I wouldn't feel so swell of myself while letting someone else take care of my stuff.

Bill

That about sums it up. I spend the money for the fuel and wear on my snow blower, and then shovel what the blower can't get to. With a degenerative joint disease and bad asthma, it can really be difficult and/or painful. I thought it would've been common sense that all the owners should share the expense/responsibility. I know I wouldn't feel so swell of myself while letting someone else take care of my stuff.

Bill

In that case I would just accidentally run over the other mail boxes or stuff them full of snow or add a quart of used motor oil the possibility's are endless use your imagination have some fun with it.

Bill

Have you tried speaking with your neighbors about this yet?

In that case I would just accidentally run over the other mail boxes or stuff them full of snow or add a quart of used motor oil the possibility's are endless use your imagination have some fun with it.

Good man I agree next good snow your truck slid sideways and knocked down all those poor mail boxes:sign07:. Just put yours back up. I'll bet those others will be moved or stay down then you can go with the building stuff. Either that or just tell em to get their boxes off your property.

Bill

I agree that it is crap behaviour on their part. Can you suspend delivery, as if on a trip, and then stop maintaining the area? Pick up your mail at the station and let theirs get returned. They may get the idea.

Dave

Bill,winters almost over............:rasberry:

Now that your married,order Jeannie out there to shovel..:stirthepot: :rotfl::rotfl:

OK, I know she's going to:buttkick:for that,but I couldn't help it..:D

I would buy your snowplow driver a couple of beers and have him drop the wing plow down and take the offending mailboxes out...It happens all the time....:whistling:

Well I did take a few pics the other evening. I quit shoveling around them for the past few snow falls and let the mail woman drive on past all week hoping that the other neighbors would get the hint. But then yesterday a front end loader came and cleared the snow away. The dang neighbors get off again! But I do thank the driver of the loader. He didn't have to do it. I'm guess ing the mail woman was also complaining to someone. I called the USPS general support earlier this week to find out what I can legally do and they took my number/name and told me the appropriate person would be getting a hold of me within 48 hours. Guess what... NO ONE HAS CALLED! Go figure. LOL

Thanks, Bill