IGNORED

Most probably won't admit it

Mel

Some forwarded emails that I get (jokes, etc.) have a long list of prior recipients, and sometimes names with business titles, email addresses, information that I am surprised to see. Often these are references to business emails, have job titles, company names, all that.

I'm curious about how many members actually are using work computers and internet connections for personal reasons, or know of someone doing this. When I was working (retired at 67) I neither had the time nor the inclination to use company equipment for personal activity. The last few years I didn't have access to company computers, but before that had plenty of opportunity. Just seems like I was busy doing my job.

Not making accusations, just curious.:think:

With my job, I cover 4 states and am gone 2-3 nights a week.

I have a compamy laptop that I use while I am on the road.

I visit this site, ebay, and usually craigs list looking for m/c related stuff as that is my addiction lol, and about 2 or 3 news sites.

I don't do social sites like face book, etc.

If any questionable site comes up, I immediately close the window.

I justify my time using this for personal use as I am usually "on" while I am on the road doing business emails and phone calls. Emails are usually done at night while I gather up the days activities.

Oh yeah, I always remove cookies, clear cache, clear history, everytime I close my explorer.

The company I retired from blocked access to the internet, we had e-mail. Their policy was, you can't control what comes in, so you could open anything. Trouble started when you would forward anything that violated the ethical policy in place.

I saw several people lose their job over some stupid e-mail they forwarded.

I do use the company computer as there are times that my job in an Engineering Lab requires some built in wait time just to get the job done. But, it is usually when I am taking a break, as now, and during lunch. I also try to be careful where I go and advise any friends that have my work e-mail account to be careful what they send me.

You also raised a very good point in your first paragraph and that is people forwarding e-mails with many addresses still attached. If I forward something, I always delete all these addresses and also send everyone's address under the BCC heading instead of just TO or CC. I have also asked my friends and family to do the same and some are and some still don't. This is how so many addresses get out for spam and it just don't need to be that way.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

As the Chief Information Officer in several companies, I made sure that reasonable use of company computer equipment, telephones, copiers, etc. for personal needs was specifically allowed, and even encouraged. I found this was very important for morale and esprit de corps. It also saved us money. (The inclusion of the "reasonable" limitation was only to have a legal foot to stand on if the occasional bad apple chose to do things that negatively impacted the company.)

I managed my employees by objective - basically that meant they were clear on what they were expected to accomplish, and they were free to meet those objectives through whatever means they wanted. As long as they accomplished the things for which they were being paid in the appropriate time frames, I didn't care what they did on "company time".

Jumping to conclusions is often a blind jump.

Goose

As the Chief Information Officer in several companies, I made sure that reasonable use of company computer equipment, telephones, copiers, etc. for personal needs was specifically allowed, and even encouraged. I found this was very important for morale and esprit de corps. It also saved us money. (The inclusion of the "reasonable" limitation was only to have a legal foot to stand on if the occasional bad apple chose to do things that negatively impacted the company.)

I managed my employees by objective - basically that meant they were clear on what they were expected to accomplish, and they were free to meet those objectives through whatever means they wanted. As long as they accomplished the things for which they were being paid in the appropriate time frames, I didn't care what they did on "company time".

Jumping to conclusions is often a blind jump.

Goose

Good on you:mo money:

My job does not involve a lot of "work". It primarilly is a situation of a contract requirement to have an on-site IT resource. Granted, I am the guy that sets up and maintains the entire network and ensures all daily processing and reporting gets completed but I've automated most of that so for the most part, I don't have a lot to do .... so I spend a fair amount of my day on the computer doing whatever I choose to do. Funny thing is, I seem to choose being on this site the most often .... really don't know why that is :think: :think:

1. I very seldom forward anything.

2. If I do forward, I use BCC. It's a pet peeve of mine. I hate to see others that have no idea what they are doing putting peoples email info out for the world to see when it was meant for just one person.

On the topic of forwarding something that has been forwarded to you, as has been mentioned, if you're sending to multiple recipients, put them in BCC and.... DELETE all instances of other's email addy's that may be embedded in the forwarded copy.

I work for a big corp phone co and I get to "Telecommute" (work from home). I have to pay for my dsl internet connection and then go wireless from there. In my Home / Office I have 3 Laptops. 1 for Company, 1 for Me and 1 for Mimi. 99.9% of the time I NEVER cross emails or personal website searches, ect between Laptops or email accounts. Like one guy above said "(Some have been Fired for such activities)". So I'm overly cautious but in this economy who can blame me?

Also Big Brother IT Dept can find 100% what was done on their PC's if they want too, those who do not think so are the next to be let go.

:no-no-no:

Edited by frogmaster
added second line...

I understand your point. I think some people have a clearly defined life with work in this compartment and "life" in this compartment. Mine is a big mix. Hard to tell where work starts and ends. Think more people are falling into the same boat. Still have a hard time leaving before 5:00 even if I have been out of the country the prior week for a 100 hours. Do find myself getting frustrated with some hourlys screwing around on the computer though when I know they could be bringing more value instead of just doing the minimum.

You give them and inch and they take a mile!:mad: About 10% won't abuse the system or privilege. :mad: And I'll pi$$ more off by saying every employee that is office bound and has a land line phone needs to check their stinking cell phone at the door unless provided by the company for business only. :mad: Waste waste waste and time blown. I thought your paycheck and benefits were supposed to make you happy? :confused24: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

You give them and inch and they take a mile!:mad: About 10% won't abuse the system or privilege. :mad: And I'll pi$$ more off by saying every employee that is office bound and has a land line phone needs to check their stinking cell phone at the door unless provided by the company for business only. :mad: Waste waste waste and time blown. I thought your paycheck and benefits were supposed to make you happy? :confused24: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Hey now, don't be bashful! How do you really feel about it?:smash2::mo money:

I don't and won't open forwarded mail, regardles of who sent it - friend or foe. Too much risk of a virus.

I bounce it straight back from whence it came.

If I need to forward important stuff to necessary recipients, BCC is ALWAYS used.

The trick here is to send the original to yourself, and BCC everybody else.

Hey now, don't be bashful! How do you really feel about it?:smash2::mo money:

:smile5: OK OK, I was holding back and didn't want to point out the facts, and I think I'll continue to hold back. I don't want to cause any apoplexy on here. :) It just an old employer's opinion but I'm retired kind of now so what do I care. ;) :beer:

we have 60 minutes "quota" time for "business purposes" only in 10 minute increments. I usually use 10 min a day while fielding the "do I have work" calls from the contractors in the morning.

In this order.

Woot - deal of the day

Newegg - deal of the day

VR.org till my 10 are up

Then back to the mayhem. :shock3: