IGNORED

Do you have a little dog that rides on your scoot?

SilvrT

Nina & I are considering getting a small dog.

Looking for ideas & pics if possible on how to set things up so the dog can ride on the bike with us. The dog we're considering will be less than 15 lbs when full grown. It's a Shih-tzu cross.

Also, anyone with this breed of dog, can you shed any light on problems, issues, temperament, etc. They seem to be very popular.

Here's a pic of the one we're hoping to get...

[ATTACH]54336[/ATTACH]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could give ya an even-tempered pygmie.....house-trained, does not shed, and enjoys watching bedroom antics....:whistling:

Boomer....who sez you'll save a fortune on Vet bills and make a lot more DQ stops.:rotf:

Not a good idea as I wouldn't want to deprive the pygmie of any enjoyment ... :rotf:

Can't get to it right now for pics but what we did was take a Sherpa bag and stiffen the bottom with plywood then ran straps through the bottom to hook it to the luggage rack. I than put a small hook inside on the bottom and made a leash with snaps on both ends. Hook one snap to the ring and one snap to the collar. I can now leave one end of the Sherpa bag open on top so my dog can stick its head out but he can't jump out because of the leash. Also train them to use Doggles. They are goggles made specifically for dogs. Keeps the bugs out of their eyes. You can find them with online a Google search.

I don't have any pics...:bawling:Wish I did!

But, years ago I had a blonde cocker spaniel that LOVED going out for a ride. I took a small piece of carpet and cut the corners off of one end so that it looked kind of like a 'home plate'. I would turn it upside down (soft fibers next to the tank, burlap facing up) and wedge the triangle under my crotch. The carpet protected the tank and the burlap gave her stable footing. Once I got situated, I would pat my left leg and up she would come.

I now realize it probably wasn't the safest thing in the world to do. She was untethered and unprotected (just like me). But, we never had a mishap. She certainly was an attention getter and I loved having her along. She's been gone for many years now and I've never tried this with any of my pets since. Mostly because I couldn't trust them to sit still. But, Jo (short for Chesai O'Josan - Japanese for pretty girl) would sit still and lean into the curves just like I did. Jeez, I'm getting choked up here. Sure do miss her.

http://s.petco.com/Assets/product_images/7/743723117210C.jpgI hope this pix comes through...I found it online at Petco but is almost like the one my cousin purchased at a large flea market in Arizona. They ride bikes also, have a small dog and her husband puts it on the seat behind him with straps. They really like it.If the pix don't come through..pull up Petco's home page and put in luggage dog carrier. It gives all the specs.

http://s.petco.com/Assets/product_images/7/743723117210C.jpgI hope this pix comes through...I found it online at Petco but is almost like the one my cousin purchased at a large flea market in Arizona. They ride bikes also, have a small dog and her husband puts it on the seat behind him with straps. They really like it.If the pix don't come through..pull up Petco's home page and put in luggage dog carrier. It gives all the specs.

Plus 1 on this idea. I use one about like it when 'Bibbitt' rides with me.

:178:

I would never take my dog on the bike. I would have a real hard time if I dumped the bike and she got hurt. I have the choice of whether or not to get on, but she does'nt. And the one poster that lets his wife hold onto the dog?!?! Really? Seriously? Ever think what would happen if she dropped the dog or if it jumps out of her lap? Maybe cause an accident when someone tries to swerve to keep from running it over? Not good, sorry, but animals have no place on a motorcycle, I don't care how "cute" it is. Just my$.02