Preperations to get to Freebird's MD

Flyinfool

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still trying to find Garage!!:duck:

Whats a Garage?????

Flyinfool, are you going to bring a helicopter or plane to entertain us with at MD?

Never can tell what I might do......

I'll have to see how much if any room is left once all of the important stuff is packed.

I'm used to traveling with a full size ex cab long box P/U, and I fill that with stuff for just a weekend trip.......lol

Then there is the responsible adult side of me that sneaks a peek out once in a while. With that many people around I am not sure if it is safe to bring any kind of flying contraption down there.....

Well I am making progress.

#4 HF Trailer is bought and the frame and coupler assembled. acquired the car topper to go on it.

Jeff,

Guess that means you don't need to borrow my trailer.

Yup, ready for the snow to go away so I can ride. It has until Thursday to go away. My first ride starts Friday.

Nothing like taking a bike out of winter storage and the shakedown cruise is a 5700 mile jaunt to CA and back.

RR

Well picked up a H3 HID lights setup to put in them. Got the HID setup for $37.00. I'll pack the halogens that come with the lights.....

Started the mounting of the hitch on the bike, this part is turning into a PITA. ANOTHER run to the hardware store for different bolts.

I suppose that I should start on the must do list instead of all of the wish list items.......

But the wish list items are more fun to do......

• 2 weeks later...

I am updating the first post with progress notes.

More good progress on #2 & 11

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=576144&postcount=16

Hopefully I can get the new receiver hitch mounted this week.

Then I can dive into finishing the trailer build. AND the rest of the list.

Dang June 3 is coming fast.

Edited by Flyinfool

I suppose that I should start on the must do list instead of all of the wish list items.......

But the wish list items are more fun to do......

Ya hey, kinda like me building a bar in the garage instead of the lift adapters so we can actually do some wrenchin' at our MD! :doh:

Later, Scooter Bob

Edited by Scooter Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I got #1 on the list done last night.

The center contact for the switch has a bunch of crud/corrosion on it.

I used a soft brass wire wheel in my Dremel to clean it up, regreased it, and it works great now.

While I was in there I also cleaned and regreased all of the contacts in all of the switches.

I also noticed that there was room to install a switch to turn the headlight off. The best thing is that the wire that needs to be switched is right there. Just have to take the blue wire off the HI/LO switch and connect it to the new switch, and add a 1 inch jumper from the new switch back to the HI/LO switch. That will allow me to keep the HID off till the engine is started.

It is still at the point of me needing to make the fixture for the final cuts of the ramp.

My mill has been tied up making the hitch and some other things that are on the must do list.

It is going to take a lot longer to make the fixture and get the mill all set up than it will to actually make the final cuts.

I still hope to have a bunch of them for MD.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

There are only a couple of items left on the must do list and a couple left on the wish list.

Did you remember to add this to yer list...:scratchchin:

I should Duck Tape a block of wood to the top of my left boot toe.:crackup:

Oh wait, this involves wood, did I just reply to the wrong thread.:confused24:

:sign just kidding:

Best of luck on the project Jeff, sounds like you've taken most of the bites out of that elephant.:thumbsup2:

Later, Scooter Bob

Got all of the electrical done.

The 5-4 powered converter is installed under the seat and the waterproof cig lighter outlet is installed in the dash for the GPS.

Still deciding just where I want to mount the GPS, I'm reading all of the GPS mounting threads for ideas, some I like and some I do not. I am leaning tword making a plate that will mount to the top of the master cylinder using the same screws that hold down the cover to the master and then uses the ram mount above that. I will carry a supply of Ziploc baggies to put over the GPS in case it rains.

I also see that there may be a need to run a power line to the trunk.

I was looking at getting a cheap MP3 player and an FM transmitter that I could just leave in the trunk and then pick up the tunes on the bikes radio. It would also give me a dry place to plug in the cell phone for charging.

Next project is getting the driving lights installed and set up.