IGNORED

Tire Question.

ken

I'm looking at some new tires for my RSV. I've found a Dunlop 404 for the rear and the size says 150/90B15 H74. I'm not sure what the "B" stand for? I also found a 404 for the front and the size does not have the "B" in it.

If it doesn't have an R it'll be a bias tire. I believe the "B" stands for belted.

Decided to look it up:

TIRE CONSTRUCTION

The term "tire construction" differs between the various structure assemblies:

Bias tires

Bias tires – also called "conventional tires" are designated by a dash in the size designation,

e.g.: 3.50 - 19, 23/4 - 17, 3.25 - 21

Bias-belted construction

Bias tires reinforced with a diagonal belt construction, also called bias-belted tires, are designated by the letter "B" in their size designation,

e.g.: 140/80 VB 17, 150/80 VB 16 V250

Radial-belted construction

These tires called "Radials" have code letter "R" in the tire designation,

e.g.: 140/80 R 17 69 H. 160/60 ZR 18

Please refer to the "Construction" section for more detailed informations regarding the different structures.

If you put on more than 4000 miles per year, and don't mind buying multiple new tires every year, use the D404. However, if you would like to see some miles on the rear tire before having to change it, spend a little more money and get an Elite3, Avon Venom, or Michelin Commander. It will save you significant money in the long run.

In other words, stay away from the D404. It is too light for the Venture.

RR

If you put on more than 4000 miles per year, and don't mind buying multiple new tires every year, use the D404. However, if you would like to see some miles on the rear tire before having to change it, spend a little more money and get an Elite3, Avon Venom, or Michelin Commander. It will save you significant money in the long run.

In other words, stay away from the D404. It is too light for the Venture.

RR

I run 8 to 10,000 a year. With the other tires mentioned would I be giving up grip for milage?

I don't think so. I've not run the E3 yet but found the Avon and the Michelin to perform very well on all kinds of road surfaces. I think the Michelin gives a bit more mileage but mine did whine a little in long sweeping curves. Except for that bit of noise, I think I actually preferred it over the Avon. I may try the E3 next.

I run 8 to 10,000 a year. With the other tires mentioned would I be giving up grip for milage?

No you wouldn't. I have not run the Commanders (although the Boss - Freebird - really likes them), but the Avons give great grip (as good or better than the D404) and should provide 10000 to 15000 miles. The E3 is just about as good as the Avons (comparable to the D404), but appear to last a little longer - 14000 to 20000 miles.

YMMV.

RR

Ok, I know this subject has probably been wore out but maybe after a few miles on their WW tires someone might chime in and lend us that are in the market for White Wall tires some help? I've got a RSV, 03 and have the Avon Venom tires on now but will be looking to replace this spring for the new riding season, any help on a size, make and recommendation will be greatly appreciated! Not all mfg are making their tires in the White Walls. I have the Metzler WW on my V Star and am thinking about ordering the same tire and size for my RSV???

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this tire subject again,

Larry M:fiddle:

I'm looking at some new tires for my RSV. I've found a Dunlop 404 for the rear and the size says 150/90B15 H74. I'm not sure what the "B" stand for? I also found a 404 for the front and the size does not have the "B" in it.

Ken, I'd think twice about the 404. I only got about 6000 miles on the one I tried. Went to an E3 next. I was disappointed in the 404. It got 8000 less miles than the 404 that came on the bike new. Replacement 404's evidently aren't the same quality as OEM.

Ok, I know this subject has probably been wore out but maybe after a few miles on their WW tires someone might chime in and lend us that are in the market for White Wall tires some help? I've got a RSV, 03 and have the Avon Venom tires on now but will be looking to replace this spring for the new riding season, any help on a size, make and recommendation will be greatly appreciated! Not all mfg are making their tires in the White Walls. I have the Metzler WW on my V Star and am thinking about ordering the same tire and size for my RSV???

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this tire subject again,

Larry M:fiddle:

I would seriously NOT consider the Metzler for the RSV. Many of us had delamination issues with the rear tire while using the Metzler. Out of 3 sets I lost rubber on two rear tires. Others have had similar issues with them as well. Some also have had no issues with them and are quite happy with them. 2 times was enough for me though. My life aint worth a crap-shoot.

Ran one rear Dunlop and that was one time too many. Only got 6k out of it. Never again will I waist my $$ on a Dunlop. I ran Metzler after the Dunlop. I had not problems and it was my longest mileage tire to date, however I WATCHED the tire pressure religiously. I run Michelin Commanders now and quite pleased with them. Have a tad bit over 18K on this rear with a little life left in it.

As we are on the tire topic, SWMoto has been out of stock of the Mich. Commanders for awhile now. I saw a lot of online stores that either had them on discount or the illusion that they are discontinuing them. Any word out of the street as to why the short supply of them. I just ordered a set from Motorcycle Superstore last night, received e-mail today (Sunday) that they are packed and ready for pickup by the carrier on Monday. That is some fast processing to say the least.

BEER30

Ran one rear Dunlop and that was one time too many. Only got 6k out of it. Never again will I waist my $$ on a Dunlop. I ran Metzler after the Dunlop. I had not problems and it was my longest mileage tire to date, however I WATCHED the tire pressure religiously. I run Michelin Commanders now and quite pleased with them. Have a tad bit over 18K on this rear with a little life left in it.

As we are on the tire topic, SWMoto has been out of stock of the Mich. Commanders for awhile now. I saw a lot of online stores that either had them on discount or the illusion that they are discontinuing them. Any word out of the street as to why the short supply of them. I just ordered a set from Motorcycle Superstore last night, received e-mail today (Sunday) that they are packed and ready for pickup by the carrier on Monday. That is some fast processing to say the least.

BEER30

Motorcyclesuperstore has filled a lot of orders for me from tires to tools to helmets to riding gear and they have always been fast and very helpful. I've returned stuff to them simply because I didn't like it for another and they have always treated me right. I always check with them first!!!:thumbsup:

I would seriously NOT consider the Metzler for the RSV. Many of us had delamination issues with the rear tire while using the Metzler. Out of 3 sets I lost rubber on two rear tires. Others have had similar issues with them as well. Some also have had no issues with them and are quite happy with them. 2 times was enough for me though. My life aint worth a crap-shoot.

My dad has a 2010 Vulcan Voyager and he told me there are a few VV owners having the same problem with the Metzlers on that bike too.

Lets say one could pick up the 404's for around $160 for a set would you run them then?

NOPE! Also to consider if one has to pay to change/mount/balance 2 times in the same amount of miles with a better brand. Avons and Commanders may cost more, but you will pay more for lessor Dunlops. That's my opinion. I just paid $225.98 for a set of Michelin Commanders from Motorcycle Superstore (free shipping). That will get me the average of 18K+ on rear and with a 2 to 1 for front tire. When I only got 6K out of a Dunlop.

BEER30

Lets say one could pick up the 404's for around $160 for a set would you run them then?

I would have to say it depends on the $$ situation at the time. If I needed tires badly, I might. My bike came with 404s stock. I really had no complaints with the ride or handling with those tires. The life of the 404s is short.

I guess you have to do the math.

404s for $160 and 8000 to 10000 miles

or

E3s, Venoms, Mich., for $250 and 18000 to 20000 miles.

don't forget to add mount and balance. Twice for the 404s compared to others.

Take it from someone who spent the $$ on the factory dunlops:thumbdown:. I got a whopping 4000 miles on them and the rear tire is almost bald. I ran spec air pressure. I was asked two questions from other bikers when they looked at my rear tire: No.1-do you burn out alot? No. 2- how much weight do you carry? I'll let you figure out what my answer was. Anyway, I will opt out on the dunlop 404 this time.

This is the problem, it seems like any time tires come up there is very little said about White Wall tires! Everyone has an opinion on tires in general. I'm very happy with the Metzlers on my V Star but the rear tire is wider by abut a half inch than the rear tire on my RSV, some say it will work fine and others say it won't! I'm just looking for a good tire in a WW that will fit my RSV! There are a few mfg that still make a fit for the RSV and I would like someone that has them on their RSV to maybe add what they have put on their RSV and what they think of them by now...

Have a great day,

Larry M