IGNORED

Has anybody tried this?

elmicko

Rick Butler also puts together a set up to reduce rear wheel lock up, but this idea seems so simple to install. I wonder if it delays the applied pressure no matter how much you stomp on the brakes like Rick's. I need more info... but very interesting....

Edited by Condor

We bleed our brakes and do things like switch to stainless steel lines to REDUCE compressibility in our braking systems. There are discussions on here all the time about DOT3 vs. DOT4 vs. DOT5.1, which are really about preventing compressibility in hot brakes. This device adds that undesirable trait back in.

From the FAQ

How does Traction Control Brakes work?

Traction Control Brakes add an extra give/compressibility factor (like a shock absorber) inside the brake line of your brake system. The TCB allows the brake pads to float and drag over the high and low spots of the brake rotor which helps avoid premature lock-up of your brakes.

What that thing does is add an air bubble to the brake system. The only difference between this and brakes that aren't bled properly is that the bubble is trapped behind a diaphragm.

The effect would be the same as having air in the brake line - a spongy feel and more pedal travel to get the same amount of braking.

The float and drag part is pure BS. The implication is that because brake rotors aren't perfectly flat and true they lock up. Anyone who has ever driven a vehicle with a badly warped or bent rotor knows that doesn't cause lock up, it makes the pedal (or lever) pulse.

Save your money for safety chrome.:mo money:

Question,:think:, how does it tell the difference between a slippery road surface and a hard road surface. It would seem to me if it is designed for hard road surface it would be ineffectual on a slippery surface. If it is designed for a slippery surface and you are trying to stop on a hard surface - - - look out here I come:yikes:

Personally I am a believer in knowing your brakes and learning how to control them.

Question,:think:, how does it tell the difference between a slippery road surface and a hard road surface. It would seem to me if it is designed for hard road surface it would be ineffectual on a slippery surface. If it is designed for a slippery surface and you are trying to stop on a hard surface - - - look out here I come:yikes:

Personally I am a believer in knowing your brakes and learning how to control them.

If you're on ice, oil, or sand it doesn't make any difference what you have... you're gonna go down. I think the big difference is that the brakes, as Carl pointed out, are going to be spongy.... to a point. Unlike air in the lines where the 'feel' is soft throughout the intire application, with this system it gives a little at the begining and then hardens up. It may give you enough time to react and let off the brakes a bit after the initial OMG Romp. As far as improving brakes to the point that they're hard from the git-go, with stainless lines, HH pads, more efficient calipers etc, I think it's defeating the the finesse of braking. I think you can overdo braking. That said I may give one of these a try on the '99. With all the coments about the rear brake locking up I've been a little hesitant to really use the rear brake. My :2cents: :stirthepot:

---- That said I may give one of these a try on the '99. With all the coments about the rear brake locking up I've been a little hesitant to really use the rear brake. My :2cents: :stirthepot:

If you do Jack, keep us posted on what you think. Also, it looks like these things have been around for several years so I have to wonder why they arn't better known.

If you do Jack, keep us posted on what you think. Also, it looks like these things have been around for several years so I have to wonder why they arn't better known.

Maybe they are, but since they... the site... seems to be after the Harley rider, we just haven't been aware of them. As soon as I heal from the latest bling buys :mo money: I'll try one out and let you know....

OK, from those links posted above it looks like we have a few members already trying them out. Since I'm only lately involved with a 2ndGen I didn't pay any attention to the last threads. So what's the verdict? Anyone want to let us newB's in on the results???

Edited by Condor

Are the above threads talking about the same device? Seems the link(s) in those threads to the TCB product web don't work anymore (the domain is not active). There's also reference to different colored TCB's yet eglidegoodies site makes no reference to different colored ones...??

Might have to get Freebird, or someone who has them, to verify that. I don't know as I just searched TCB Brake system because I knew this kind of thing had been discussed on here previously.

I remember following those threads. Seems to me it was a very similar product. Unfortunately we can't rely on Kit Carson anymore. I wonder what became of him once he got his Wing and left us.

I remember following those threads. Seems to me it was a very similar product. Unfortunately we can't rely on Kit Carson anymore. I wonder what became of him once he got his Wing and left us.

He's over on the gl1800riders.com forum, raising as much cain there as he did here! :big-grin-emoticon:

I could still lock up the back wheel, the pedal was just mushy.

Bob

I think that's a good thing in the case of the RSV's. Some members are relating that the rear brake is touchier than 'H', and a few have almost highsided because of it. It is an RSV problem. I think a little rear brake mushiness in the begining is a good thing. That's one of the big reasons Rick put his thinking cap on and came up with his solution. If your brake was mushy all the way through the squeeze... or stomp... you probably still had air in your lines. So like I said before as soon as the 'bling' gods stop picking on me I think I'll try one out on the '99. I'm going to need feedback a little more recent. Those links above are 4-5 years old and they might not be talking about the current TCB design??