IGNORED

Yellowstone road trip tips please

Rockdoc

The Bruces are heading for Yellowstone this fall via Denver from the UK. I wondered if any of you venturers out there have any tips on route options and things to see going and coming back from Yellowstone and the Tetons. We intend to take two days going (possibly north up to the Bighorns?) and 4 days coming back (via flaming gorge, Dinosaur etc). Also are there things to see around Denver?, we may have a couple of days free at the end of the holiday. We are both geologists so after Grand Canyon, Yellowstone is a must. We’ve got accommodation in the parks but otherwise we will probably book as we go or just before. Thanks for any suggestions.

My wife and I rode up to Yellowstone from Arizona two summers ago in June. On the way we encountered a snow blizzard in Wyoming, and freezing morning temps in Yellowstone. We both have Gerbings liners so it made the trip bearable. Be sure and be prepared for cold weather. By the way, my wife has had a love affair with the Grand Canyon since she was a teen. Ride safe.

Even if you don't do the Big Horns, work you way up to Red Lodge, Montana and ride Beartooth Pass. There are two options here. Ride all the way across and enter Yellowstone via Cooke City (North East Entrance) or split off and take the Chief Joseph Highway in to Cody, Wyoming and then ride into Yellowstone via the East entrance.

Both ways won't disappoint. NE Entrance you ride through one of the largest Buffalo herds in the Lamar Valley. East Entrance you ride Chief Joseph and can visit Cody.

Beartooth Pass can turn nasty quickly so, plan the ride accordingly.

You could always come over in late July and join us for the International Rally in Cody.

Dave

We road The Chief Joseph Highway and The Bear-tooth Pass last summer. Amazing! Even in a car it would be an awesome drive. And yes, the weather up in those parts can shift and change at a moment's notice - and, it's usually to something colder.:snow2:

And, don't forget to check out Utah. Lots of awesome sites to see here.

Be Safe!

Pete.

Well,

Everyone is pointing you to the good areas out of the NE gate of Yellowstone. But you say that you are coming back through the Flaming Gorge. It would be a shame if you missed the road through Rocky Mountain National Park which runs from Grand Lake to Estes Park over Trail Ridge. This is about the best you will see of the Colorado Rockies.

From Flaming Gorge just make your way south and east to Dinorsaur, Craig, Steamboat Springs, Granby past Grand Lake into the west gate of the National Park. Once you get to Estes, you can stop and eat, shop before driving down Thompson Canyon into Loveland where you can catch I-25 back into Denver.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Of all our trips west I would have to say Yellowstone was the biggest disappointment. I had seen it in 1974 on my Kaw 750. Then there were bears just about everywhere. Which made stopping to see them almost non-existent. But it was something to be able to be so close to them. But in 2004 we rode all around the place and never seen any bears. The forest fires that went through there all but wiped out the old growth forest. I assume forcing the bears to leave. We did see other wildlife but that is nothing compared to seeing bears in the wild. The Old Faithful Geyser has also lost most of its steam over the years and is nothing more than a major tourist trap.:thumbdown: But if your anything like us you have to go to at least say that you've been there.:D

Yes , we were there last summer, going in the south gate and out the east gate to Cody wasn't worth the gas. Cody over the pass to Red Lodge is great. Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain NP are a waist of time, Glacier NP is a nice trip but after you go on the Sun Hwy there isn't much to do. We did have a great time in the west,bu not at the tourist places, the country is beautiful

As has already be state, the ride over Beartooth pass between the north east park entrance and Cooke city should not be missed. Yellowstone is nice park but we much preferred riding through Glacier National Park. And if you get the chance, Rocky Mountain National Park is a nice ride also. If you would like to see some photos a friend of mine has photos from our 2007 trip to Yellowstone and Glacier. They are in the photo galleries at: http://www.magnarider94.com/

Dennis

Thanks guys for all the info. I take the point about ole' yoggy being overrated. We did Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Death Valley and Yosemite, all of which were fantastic especially Bryce. The reason for heading south out of Teton towards Utah is to get a feel for dinosaur country. The fossils found in the Uinta range are the same as we have here in SE Kent. The info on Beartooth and Cody is great and thats probably the inbound part done. Does anyone have any ideas for a day or two around the Denver area, Colorado Springs perhaps. Sure wish we could get over for the International at Cody but working for ourselves means its September or never.

Don't go when school is out if you can help it!!!!! The dumb cages will drive you nuts!!! They stop to take a pitcher of every thing & cause 2, 3, mile back up. you would think you are in rush Hr. traffic. Good Luck!!:headache:

The end of Aug. begining of Sept. are a good time for Yellowstone, the kids are back in school so the crowds of people are gone. The weather can be anything between 80* and snow. 2 years ago we were in tee shirts, last year we were riding through snow squalls and rain. One place nobody else mentioned, while in Wyoming, not to far from Cheif Joseph Hwy. is Wind River Canyon http://www.wyomingtourism.org/overview/Wind-River-Canyon-Scenic-Byway/31254 one of my favorites.

Enjoy your trip.

Even though it's been done, I have to mention the Beartooth. Wow. Hands down my favorite road. You might want to check out the Chief Joseph. Dead Indian mountain (on the Chief Joseph) is an unusual rock structure, at least to me (absolute amateur rock wise).

While you in the Denver area you might want to check out Mount Evans. It's an asphalt road up to 14k feet. Spectacular. US 40 across Colorado is amazing. Rocky Mountain National park is very nice. Big Thompson Canyon and Cache La Poudre Canyon are both beautiful. While you're in Colorado you might find Royal Gorge interesting. Not as dramatic as the Grand Canyon, but pretty interesting anyway. It has a great bridge. Independence Pass is a nice ride/drive. I-70 between Glenwood Springs and Denver has to be the best chunk of Interstate in the country. Of course, down by Colorado Springs there's Pike's Peak. If you do Pike's Peak, Mount Evans, and Trail Ridge Road all in one vacation you've done the Colorad Triple Crown. Can't beat it, though you need to be aware of the altitude. It can be hard on folks.

Wind River Canyon is beautiful.

Even though they're probably well out of the way, there's Devil's Tower and the Badlands.

On one trip Irene and I rode red roads west out of Jackson and arced south to US 40, then back east. That was pretty interesting too.

For those who have not been there, Yellowstone is worth it. Different portions of the figure 8 are completely different. Southeast: lake and falls. West side: thermal amazement. North and north east are high plains and mountains.

It's not hard to spend a lot of time exploring the Rockies.

Thanks Steve, that info is going to help our trip a lot. Every visit we've had to the good ol USA has so far been fab. Whether its New England, Grand Canyon country or San Franscisco, we've always had a great time. Apart from the scenery meeting the people is a vital part of the experience. September can't come round soon enough.

Thanks to you all for those great tips.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rGGrR_Bg9c]YouTube - "An American Story" - Day 14 Pt 1 US 212 "Beartooth Hwy" MT-WY[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AI9WP4zoVc&feature=related]YouTube - An American Story Day 14 Pt 2 Chief Joseph Hwy, WY[/ame]

Edited by Michael_Bishop
to add