IGNORED

Car battery question...

yamadawg

I have what may well be a stupid question regarding the battery in our '01 Chevy Tahoe. While having our oil changed at the local quick change place they told my wife that the battery tested out as having a dead cell. We have had no signs of issues with the battery since she was told this three weeks ago. The battery turns the motor over quickly, even with the temperature in the teens lately and has shown no sign of fading. But it has me wondering... Could this be true, or are they simply trying to fool the public?

These quick oil change places are famous (or infamous) for telling people there is something wrong with their car based on the color of their engine oil or that their transmission oil needs to be replaced because it is "dirty" (Really? They can tell it's dirty just by looking at it?). If the vehicle starts well even in the cold and it holds a charge even after several days of not running, chances are that it is still in good shape. If you would like to verify its condition, take it to a trusted mechanic or dealer and have them check it. Or simply check it with a volt meter yourself to see how many volts it's putting out. Never, ever trust these quick change oil places to diagnose anything on your car. Personally, I avoid them as I don't trust them to even put in the correct viscosity oil since the employees tend to be high school students who rarely, if ever, know anything about vehicles or servicing them. I have a good independent mechanic that I take my cars to and he has spent years building up an excellent reputation for doing good work and charging fair prices. If you don't have one, check with your friends and relatives to see who they go to.

I'll match your question with a stupid answer. I wouldn't trust a quick-lube place for battery advice. Put a voltmeter on it and see what it's putting out. The comments I've seen on motorcycle batteries say that it should be at least 12.6 volts. I don't know that it would be any different for a car battery. If there's some doubt, take it to an AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc. and have them test it.

Put it plain and simple if it is cranking the engine over without hesitation run it untill it dies. A battery is easy to come by any where so when it starts giving you trouble you can always change it then.

Here is a little tip for the average joe. If you notice that when at a stop and your engine is just idling, your heater motor starts to drasticly slow down or your headlights start to dim, then perk up as you speed up the engine, when you pull away, you may have a weak battery and should get it checked. If not your still good to go.

Edited by saddlebum

I agree with the comments about the quick change con artists! That being said, if the battery is the original, by the same token it is living on borrowed time! The average life span of a car battery is around 7-8 years, so yours may be living on borrowed time. I guess it comes down to where do you want to be when the lights go out??

I once had a quick change place tell me my fuel injectors were dirty and they recommended a can of their additive for my gasoline. I was really tempted to ask them to show me these dirty injectors since the car had a carburetor...........

A car battery can show 12+ volts and still be bad.

Check the voltage while cranking the engine, that is the voltage that counts, as long as it stays above 9V while cranking the engine then it is fine.

When you go to your mechanic or AutoZone type place to have them test it they are using a machine to put a load similar to cranking, to see it the battery will hold voltage under load.

FWIW

I have tried real expensive top of the line batteries and the cheapest batteries that I could get my hands on, in my '96 GMC P/U, they all last me 4 years and give up the ghost on the first sub zero Monday morning after having not been run for a day or two.

A volt meter is NO test of a battery. You need to put it to a load to see if there is a bad cell, there are other tests. Go to a good battery business. I trust my local Interstate Battery distributor (happens to have his shop in my home town). They will test for free, and are probably honest, but that isn't guaranteed. I trust my distributor (he sells to all the retail businesses in the area, but also sells over the counter).

Are you getting any acid build-up on the terminals? A battery with a bad or weak cell could still start your vehicle in most instances for some time, but it will also charge all the time, and discharge all the time, so it will collect battery acid. Battery acid is a tell-tale that either the battery or charging system has a problem. Properly working systems with a healthy battery won't get any acid. Also, keep all batteries that aren't used almost daily on a Battery Tender (brand, but there are other good ones) all the time. It will extend life of any battery greatly.

It is easy to test for a dead cell with a volt meter. Remove the caps. Carefully put a lead in cell # one and a lead in cell # two. Do not touch the plates. You are only testing the acid (liquid). Should read 2 to 2.2 volts. Then move to cells two and three again 2 to 2.2 volts. Then cells three and four etc. If you have a dead cell one of the readings will be very low compared to the others. Just remember do not poke the battery plates you are just testing the liquid. Remember to rinse off your test leads when you are done. Often it is more convenient to replace a battery before it goes dead.

Mike

Thank you for all of the great responses. I did fail to mention that the battery is 3 years old and has given no problems and shows no signs of issues.. no slow starts, and no dimming or brightening of lights. I found it hard to believe that anyone at a quick change oil place would reliably supply that diagnosis. I do use this particular place to change the oil on four vehicles, and rely on them for oil changes only because with traveling I really don't have the time to give up personally. This was my wife that they told this, and most likely they were looking to take advantage of her. It looks as if this is how they choose to do business I'll have to look for another source for this service.

Thank you for all of the great responses. I did fail to mention that the battery is 3 years old and has given no problems and shows no signs of issues.. no slow starts, and no dimming or brightening of lights. I found it hard to believe that anyone at a quick change oil place would reliably supply that diagnosis. I do use this particular place to change the oil on four vehicles, and rely on them for oil changes only because with traveling I really don't have the time to give up personally. This was my wife that they told this, and most likely they were looking to take advantage of her. It looks as if this is how they choose to do business I'll have to look for another source for this service.

Looks to me like you got your answer :thumbsup2:

These quick oil change places are a rip off. Had one show me an air filter once and told my I need a new one because it was dirty. Should have seen the look on the guy's face when I told him the filter he showed me wouldn't even fit my van.

It's not only the quick change places. I had a '69 GTO I had completely replaced the entire steering and suspension on. All new factory parts still had the sticky labels on them.

Took it in to the local Firestone store to have new shoes put on and have an alignment done. The guy comes in and tells me that I will need two new tie rod ends, idler arm and all new shocks before he could do the alignment. It didn't take them long to put the old rubber back on and get my car back on the ground.

How stupid to they think their customers are?

I can think of one more possibility. If your battery is an AC Delco or similar with that little "eye" that can tell you the state of charge of your battery. Maybe the guy saw it was black and pasted on the info. All that eye does is monitor the level of acid/water in the battery. I'd have it checked by a pro, most do it free. Would suck to find out it is bad when you were about to leave for something important.

Does this place even sell batteries?