IGNORED

Deer Avoidance Gadget ?

GolfVenture

Your question is like asking: Which OIL is best for my bike...? so many opinions out there...

Short answer is NO. If you can find an insurance company to give you

a discount that would cover the cost...go for it...

otherwise, I think the most telling thing about this topic is that AAA does not

even mention them as a way of controlling animal/car collisions:

http://www.aaafoundation.org/resources/index.cfm?button=autodeer

Living in Deer Country best advise...Do nothing to disturb them,watch closely and if seen soon enough slow down and as you get closer make no changes in noise from vehicle..A deer will run into the woods and just as quick run back to see what it was.I have friends that like them but I see every day during the Rut bikes that have crashed and low and behold..deer whistles. UNPREDICTABLE creatures.

The deer we hit last year stripped the whistles clean off the fender...:doh:

didn't slow him down a bit either.:bang head:

I picked them up and threw them out in the marsh grass. I think they have a better chance of working out there...

:scratchchin: the next deer might trip over them on the way to the road.:thumbsup2:

Just my :2cents:, Scooter Bob

I've used those deer whistles for years and on multiple bikes as well as my cages. People ask me if they really work... my answer ... "haven't hit a deer yet" ...

(I'm just sayin`)

Deer whistles also keep the elephants off the road. Haven't seen one yet!!

Had deer whistles on a car and a truck. Never seen so many deer, on the road and coming on to the road, as I did when I had them on.

Just my opinion, but if you want to "road hunt deer" by all means put a set on.

In the vehicles before and after, yes, I see deer here and there but not as many and not standing on the road "waiting for me". When I hunt deer I whistle and they stop running, then I get the shot I want. (Whistle and they stop,,,,,Huuummmmm????)

Bryan

I have a set on my bike. Why? To cover the holes the PO made installing a set when he had it.

Do they work? Well as stated before I haven't hit a deer yet.......but they have run up onto the road a few time to see how fast I was going.

So....no...they don't scare the deer off.

But in my defense......they are chorme.

I've used those deer whistles for years and on multiple bikes as well as my cages. People ask me if they really work... my answer ... "haven't hit a deer yet" ...

(I'm just sayin`)

Your just a lucky one out of many.

I had the alerts on my goldwing. The deer won.

Your just a lucky one out of many.

yep, I will agree with ya there.

Few years ago I rode thru heavy deer country in the middle of the night... deer all over the place ... closest I came to hitting one was the already dead one in the middle of the road... which I barely saw in time to swerve around it! :eek:

After my accident with that deer in March I installed the electronic Hornet Deer whistle.

The deer all look up and some run away when I pass by. Believe at the very least it makes them aware of your presence, much like the loud mufflers on a Harley. LOL

It's worth the $70 as far as I'm concerned. Figured if I can cough up $70 for a chrome drink holder... well you know what I mean. The $5 air activated deer whistles don't work below 55? and don't work at all if you get bugs in them as well as they aren't loud enough to begin with, so, I'd have to agree that they are pretty much worthless.

Invest in good protective clothing, boots and the best helmet you can afford.

If you pay for your own medical insurance and have a high deductable, some motorcycle insurance comapanies offer medical for $100 more a year.

I often find myself on a dark road with many deer. so I put my radio on at a high volume, I figure that that should send them back in the bush,one of the guys that I ride with said put it on the French station, thats a sure way to piss them off ! !

(I'm just sayin`)

can you say LUCK --- cause it ain't the whistles that has kept them away, anyone that lives in deer country and knows the critters knows thoses whistles are a scam that do one thing well------- Seperate idiots from their money

Go to any junk yard and you'll find vehicles with the whistles on them with damage from hitting deer. Although now retired from police work I spent mt entire 30 years on the street and I can't begin to count the number of motorcycles, cars, and trucks were involved in accidents with deer that had the whistles on them. I'm in an area with a very high deer population with way too many cars on the street.

If the whistle is supposed to make them run away (which is bull) then a whistle will make a deer in the woods run away? What guarantees they will run further into the woods and not across the road to get to the other woods or field? Nothing of course as they are worthless. Save your hard earned money.