IGNORED

'Bags are painted two-tone

OK gang, another update on the continuing changes to my beast;

I painted the bike gray with clear a couple of months ago. I also painted the windshield trim black. I like it a lot. However, the top-box and 'bags looked huge in gray primer. One of the new BMWs has its 'bags painted black on the back-half. I think this makes them look smaller. Here are pics of my two-tone top-box and 'bags . . . What do ya think?

If your diggin it, thats all that counts, personally I think you need to embelish the 2 tone a bit more. It seems to me to blend and get lost with all that gray on the front fairing. This is just my observation and some here will gladly attest that they think I'm full of BS

:)

Try and duplicate what was originally there to begin with. Now that I see it without the oem striping & color, I think it needs it. It make it looks smaller but still look huge and does not make your eyes wonder what is missing.

Edit: I think oem colors are more on the dark side for the g1. Yours is much lighter and that may have something to do with it. The darker colors may fit more with the seat, wheels, tires n stuff. Yanno, kind of blend in.

Hey Gary,

Jean, (wife) was looking over my shoulder this morning, and likes the lines and colors of your paint job. Being Color Blind myself, I have always enjoyed Gray as a color because much of what I see is in Gray-Scale. Jean did mention that some form of "Pin Stripping", on the front fairing would break up the endless pallet of Gray. I thought perhaps a few "ghost flames" on the front fairing might give the eyes something to focus on besides the endless pool of Gray. Overall, I think this paint job is very cutting edge, but to take it to the "next level" a few, well placed "brush strokes", would stay with the minimalist theme and transfer a bit of YOUR personality into the graphics design of this project.

But as it is, JEAN would be happy to ride on this bike!:Laugh:

Earl and Jean

The bright, multi-color paint jobs on bikes over the last few years are not my cup of tea. My hot-rod pick up is white. My Astro van is white. My trailer is white. My Ninja is charcoal gray (only a few motorcycles can pull off white).

I do not care for gaudy vehicles, although a few simple pin stripes might be good. I think an original 1985 VR looks dated. The goal with my VR was to try and make it look like a newer model sport-touring machine. I removed or painted a bunch of the chrome. I covered the beast with a single color, except for the black on the 'bags.

Jean has nailed my design approach . . . Less Is More

Thanks Jean. Maybe I will get a chance to give you a ride sometime!

I like it. THe 2 colours work for me, I just dont like grey or white, just like you dont like brown, lol.

After my bags were painted the OEM brown they looked too big and plain so I had the painter just put on some pinstriping kinda like what you would fins on a bike of this age.

I really didnt like the silvery/bronze stripe that was running across the 85's bags at wierd angles, so simpler worked better for me too.

Brian

If your diggin it, thats all that counts, personally I think you need to embelish the 2 tone a bit more. It seems to me to blend and get lost with all that gray on the front fairing. This is just my observation and some here will gladly attest that they think I'm full of BS

Yeah he rarely knows what he is talking about but this could be one of those rare times!! Maybe a bold pin stripe? Do the vent under the nose of the faring in black?

Personally I think the black is off. I'd have picked a darker gray. But then what do I know...... and if that's what you want, that's all that counts. :thumbsup2:

The black was supposed to be more like primer, or flat. However, I shot a gloss clear over the primer and it has a lot of shine now. I may redo the clear coat over the black with a semi-gloss clear . . .

Hey Gary,

I think it looks great! I like the way you painted the side bags. Most of the modern sport tourers I have seen have the same black on the back half paint scheme. I also agree that the stock top trunk looks huge! It's nice to have the room to carry stuff but I think it takes away from the looks of the bike. I bought a soft luggage bag that I mount on the rack when I don't need the room of the stock trunk. When it's time to paint my 1st gen. I'll keep your "tricks" in mind!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Stu

The bright, multi-color paint jobs on bikes over the last few years are not my cup of tea. My hot-rod pick up is white. My Astro van is white. My trailer is white. My Ninja is charcoal gray (only a few motorcycles can pull off white).

I do not care for gaudy vehicles, although a few simple pin stripes might be good. I think an original 1985 VR looks dated. The goal with my VR was to try and make it look like a newer model sport-touring machine. I removed or painted a bunch of the chrome. I covered the beast with a single color, except for the black on the 'bags.

Jean has nailed my design approach . . . Less Is More

Thanks Jean. Maybe I will get a chance to give you a ride sometime!

Uuummm...White is not a color.:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

the first step is recognizing that there IS a problem, you're on your way my friend :smile5:

Two tone almost always has a "slimming" effect. Look at the 50s cars, huge slabs of side metal but they split the lines with color... noting the stark change, they did what any red blooded American would do and threw a chrome splash in as a separater. This "cleans the lines" and pulls the eye away from the "edge" much like pinstiping does.