IGNORED

Do the RSV have a rev limiter?

Hello I am new here and do not currently own a RSV....but am looking to buy one. Do the 1999-2010 RSV have a rev limiter? I thought that you could only get a rev limiter on a fuel injected bike. I guess if the limiter is hooked to the ignition then it is possible. Please let me know about this.....It would save me alot of money not having to buy a 250.00 tach set-up. Thank you....Bret Holland

Hello I am new here and do not currently own a RSV....but am looking to buy one. Do the 1999-2010 RSV have a rev limiter? I thought that you could only get a rev limiter on a fuel injected bike. I guess if the limiter is hooked to the ignition then it is possible. Please let me know about this.....It would save me a lot of money not having to buy a 250.00 tach set-up. Thank you....Bret Holland

Not only do they have a rev limiter, but Yamaha sets it to 400rpms below peak horsepower, and about 700rpms below redline, so you can't over rev the engine unless you drop to 1st gear and pop the clutch at about 60.

That is also why a few people add the Dyna 3000 ignition, it allows you to change the rev limiter up over peak HP and closer to actual engine redline.

Thanks for the info and the response folks....I wonder why Yamaha sets the rev limiter so low..if the redline is at 7000 rpm. why would you limit yourself below your peak HP? I guess they are covering their butts on warranty claims or whatever. I know the original ventures 1200 & 1300 redline was like 7500 and what is the redline of that engine when tuned for the Vmax? When I get one I will probably leave the OEM rev limiter in place.....but who knows maybe a dyna 3000 may be a good idea.

Nice looking chart but wonder if it is accurate in 5th. I would think you run out of power before hitting those numbers.

Or you have one long stretch of road.

Brad

I think it is probably accurate but that doesn't mean that you would ever hit it. In fact, I'm SURE you would never hit it because you would just never get to that kind of RPM and/or speed on these bikes. In fact, I don't think you could ever hit the limiter in 4th either. I know that I never did and I did try a couple of times. Haven't tried it since installing the VMAX rear but I even have my doubts with it.

Well, it's really a matter of preference but I happen to think that the RSV is geared higher than it needs to be. My opinion on this subject is not shared by everybody here and I think that a couple of people have actually installed the VMAX rear and then didn't like it and went back to stock. Most seem to like the change though.

It basically just lowers your final gear ration. I run about 500 RPM higher at the same speed as I did with the stock rear end. I think it puts you in a much better RPM/Power range. I found that with the stock rear end, I would sometimes have to run in 4th gear when fighting a heavy headwind, in the mountains, etc. Now most of the time this was when riding two up and pulling a fairly heavy trailer.

I was on a trip to Colorado a few years ago and fighting a very heavy headwind all day. I did a little experiment where I ran in 4th gear for an entire tank of gas. I was surprised to find that my gas mileage was almost exactly the same as when I was trying to run in 5th gear. I was also riding with a couple of first generation Ventures and talking to them on the radios while riding, I determined that when running in 4th gear at around 65-70 MPH, I was actually running about the same RPM that they were running in 5th gear.

Changing to the VMAX rear sort of divided that difference and pretty much put me in what I think is the "sweet spot". I find that under those same conditions, that I now run about 500 RPM higher in 4th and 5th gear than I did before. It still puts me to running about 500 RPM LOWER than a first gen running at the same RPM in 5th gear.

To me, it is a good compromise. The bike is more responsive and the gas mileage is pretty much the same as before and in some conditions, even better.

I was on a trip to Colorado a few years ago and fighting a very heavy headwind all day. I did a little experiment where I ran in 4th gear for an entire tank of gas. I was surprised to find that my gas mileage was almost exactly the same as when I was trying to run in 5th gear. I was also riding with a couple of first generation Ventures and talking to them on the radios while riding, I determined that when running in 4th gear at around 65-70 MPH, I was actually running about the same RPM that they were running in 5th gear.

I did this exact same experiment way back in 2005 or 2006 and posted my results here, but my results were VERY different than yours. Staying in 4th gear and running 75 - 80 (indicated) dropped my gas mileage a LOT. I ran the whole tank on the freeway so the comparison was a true 5th gear to 4th gear comparison under the same conditions without being muddied by some in-town riding in other gears. I seem to recall you were having other power problems on that trip and later figured you were only running on three - might that have had something to do with your results?

Overall gear ratio of the 1st gens in 5th is identical to the 2nd gens in 4th. I have compared the published numbers and verified it while riding with 1st genners, just like you did. Since they always claim better gas mileage than we get, I decided to see if the lower gearing would be a benefit. It is not. The lower economy of the 2nd gens is all because of greater wind drag.

Personally, I do a LOT of riding two-up and over-loaded, sometimes even pulling a trailer too, and with the stock gearing I have NEVER had to hold the throttle wide open to maintain any speed (and I regularly ride at GPS actual speeds of 75 - 90 MPH here in Texas where even the back roads are posted at 70 and some freeway stretches are higher.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose