IGNORED

Highway bike etiquette

coy55boy

I admit that I've been out of the loop for a couple of decades. But, during the last couple of months since I've been back up on two wheels, I've noticed something I'd like to ask about. Most of the time when I meet another bike (or bikes) going the opposite direction on the highway, I get a one fingered gesture. No...not that one! It's like they point (forefinger) at the center divider. Like they wanna make sure I know where it is or something. :think: My assumption is that it is an acknowledgment of some sort. Now, this may be a regional thing, but can anyone enlighten me?

Guest tx2sturgis

Its called the 'cool wave'....or the 'biker wave'...its sort of a 'drive by' handshake....or in this case, a 'ride by' handshake...

Its just one rider respecting another...thats all. Sometimes done with the open hand...palm tilted slightly down and forward....either way...

Enjoy!

Yes, what you are seeing is the "low wave". Nobody is pointing, It has become the cool, in thing. You can wave any way you like, no need to be cool if it is not you.

Goose

I thought that 'hand down low' wave originated as the Harley owners wave? But now I see a lot of folks doing this "cool wave".

I guess I'm not cool yet because I can't seem to remember to wave that way. I still do the hand up palm turned forward thing. It's probably just a throw back to the old Honda commercial; "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". Now I'm showin' my age.

Any wave is fine with me. If I'm in heavy traffic or the mountains, and for the sake of safety, I sometimes don't wave or expect waves.

I find it easier to point downwards rather than Hi-5 ! That wind catches the hand more doing the Hi-5. I was told the crotch rockets came up with the fingers pointing downwards as it was about the only way they could wave without developing a wind-break with their hand and flying off the back of the bike.

Being I have the Clearveiw XL windshield, pointing downwards or keeping the hand behind the shield, out of the flow of the wind is fine with me.

Another signal is tapping the top of the helmet to warn other passing bikers of the law up ahead.

BEER30

The "down" wave is the way to go. One afternoon I was accelerating into a nice open piece of Pacific Coast Highway and was shifting at 6,000 rpm just for fun. I met a Harley, who waved. I took my left hand off to wave near my shift point in 4th gear, went a little high, caught the wind and it almost ripped my arm off. Looked down and I was right around 110 mph. Retreived my arm, shifted to 5th, and proceeded on my way.

Edited by 91nwl

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.

9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.

8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.

7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.

6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.

5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.

4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.

3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.

2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.

1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.

9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.

8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.

7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.

6. The espresso machine just finished.

5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.

4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.

3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.

2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.

1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.

9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.

8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.

7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.

6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.

5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.

4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.

3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.

2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.

1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.

9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."

8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.

7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.

6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.

5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.

4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.

3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.

2. You haven't been properly introduced.

1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture. :322:

Then why not throw down four fingers?

Dave

My thoughts exactly.

Now along the lines of ettiquette or proper form. If both bikes are traviling in the same direction, what portion of the lane should the lead bike take? I ride to DC every morning and often times will meet up with other riders along the way. I have noticed most of the time I end up in the lead position so should I be in the left most portion of the lane or right portion (closer to the shoulder)?

My thoughts exactly.

Now along the lines of ettiquette or proper form. If both bikes are traviling in the same direction, what portion of the lane should the lead bike take? I ride to DC every morning and often times will meet up with other riders along the way. I have noticed most of the time I end up in the lead position so should I be in the left most portion of the lane or right portion (closer to the shoulder)?

Usually, I've seen groups with the lead bike in the left position. But I've also been with bikes where the lead shifts to the right position in the left lane, if there are two lanes. I think the theory is that the right position in the left lane is more visible to cars being overtaken; that's why I ride like that when I am by myself. But in a group, that means the lead bike moves about 3' when changing lanes, while the second bike goes from shoulder to shoulder -- ~20'.

Dave

Edited by Dave77459
gah! grammer!

I was told buy an older.... Biker friend, that the wave was for respect, and a sence, that your not alone on those open roads.

I was always told to stop when I saw a biker on the side of the road. no matter what they rode., or whos colors they flew. I put my hand down. to let them know. I'll be there for them at anytime, they need help.

I stop in what ever i'm driving.

Thats how I see the wave, willing to help a fellow Rider/Ridest.

can someone post the meaning of the wave?

I have always pointed with one finger. Most Harley riders wave at each other using the peace sign, as it symbolizes a "V", for v-twin.

I had thought (an been told - by old biker wisdom :backinmyday:) that the two down was for 'keeping rubber side down' - since we have two wheels; in conjunction with what Brake Pad had commented on:

... that the wave was for respect, and a sence, that your not alone on those open roads...

Once I got the 'white power' wave, which scared the crap out of me and caused me to boogie on out of there rather quickly...

Quite frankly, I can't usually see how many fingers someone is pointing down at the ground with - especially if they are wearing gloves and they are on the other side of a divided highway.

I will usually do two fingers down if I am on the typical two lane road, if on the highway with lots of traffic, I'll do the dorky two fingers or whole hand up and to the left (to not potentially confuse any of the cagers into thinking that I am a) getting ready to change lanes or b) telling them they are number 1).

But hey, that's just me and I am a dork like that.

You can do whatever you want, it certainly does not matter to me at all.

I always wave using the peace sign.

When you guys talk about who does/doesn't like to wave back, I really haven't noticed any difference when it comes to what they ride. But it does seem that I get the fewest waves back on Sundays. My theory is that maybe the weekend is over any they're heading home and are depressed that they have to go to work in the morning. :confused24:

Bill