IGNORED

Time to get the kiddo started

rentalguy1

He'll be 14 in February, so it is a good time to get him started on motorcycles. So, as of yesterday evening he owns his own 1993 Suzuki DR125E. It's been ridden hard, and needs a lot of work, but it runs good and we don't have to worry about breaking anything on it. Not too bad for $400.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/rentalguy1/012-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

He's officially a biker now.

We replaced the clutch and front brake levers, adjusted the brakes and the clutch and put a carb overflow hose on his bike today, then we hit the field. He figured out the clutch after a few tries, but still kept stalling it. I had him hop on the back and took him to the top of a hill with a gentle slope. He then rode about 30 yards down the hill on his own. He was a little freaked out the entire time, because he still doesn't have the location of all the controls down just yet (brainiac, not mechanically inclined), but he kept it upright and got it stopped. It's a start!

BTW... I still can't believe that little 4 stroke 125cc pulled both of us up that hill in 2nd gear. That was a total of about 340lbs! Not bad for a $400 bike!

It's a lot of fun taking your son out for their first ride. Took my youngest boy to the fairground's parking lot this afternoon to let him start riding around on my KLR650. He drives a manual transmission car ('66 AMC Rambler) so the clutch wasn't too hard to figure out. Once he got a handle on the control locations he did really well.

Wish we had a field to go ride in. That would be a lot of fun. Good on you for letting him get some experience before hitting the roads.

RR

I started my son riding when he was 7, on a little KX60. Moved up to a YZ85 at 12, now he rides my 77 IT400. I believe it's the best way to get your kids started in responsible driving techniques, as he now drives a 79 Camaro.

Good for him! I started mine out when they were 4 and 5. I bought them a pair of Yamaha PW50s to start out on, and got bigger sizes as they grew out of them. They are 20 and 21 now. One owns and rides my old Suzuki GS850. The other one isn't really interested anymore.

Good age to start him out, I started with minibikes about 9 and @ 12 had a KX 125. I ride my street bike just like I learned to do my on my dirtbikes. Downshift to be in the powerband, and use the rear brake a lot. Good on you both as it will be a great experience for both of you!

• 3 weeks later...

rentalguy....very cool.......it's funny how certain things get burned into your brain....i remember the first time i rode a bike (stole my brother little harley when he wasn't around) i remember the sound, the smell, the giddy feeling of being free, the feeling i hoped i didn't get caught ... lol. hope your son has this great experience etched in his memory........