IGNORED

Well, bought a Harley today.

hig4s

Just a Sportster, bike for around town, a bit of commuting and short solo rides. Kept the Venture!!

I'm going to have to do something about that rock hard stock seat though.

On my son's 05 sportster and on his 08 Lowrider he had/has the harley sundowner seat. Very comfortable. About $300.00 at harley I think.

How's the fit Al? Are you able to stretch out on this bike?

Not with the mid controls, but I have the forward controls on order. And I've sat on Sportsters with forward controls, not bad. I also need to order a Mustang solo seat with back rest.

Not trying to diminish on your new MC, but a bigger question for all you guys who buy a scoot to ride around town. If you drive a Suburban or something else big, do you go buy a "Smart car", a "Geo metro" or some other cookie box to ride around town? NO! But lets go buy another scoot for around town, yeah; right!! Or as a backup in case the other bike has issues (like you have a back up car of course)

If you ride a full dress bike, what difference does it make if you go to the corner store or cross country? If you want to buy another bike, buy another bike and admit you "wanted" it.

I'm just saying ......:confused24:

For Me , I like a town bike , mine is a elec. scooter , just like my travel car and the town car .

the travel car is a 1975 Lincoln Conny , 21 ft. long 5500 lbs very hard just to get it out of the driveway and parking is no fun but a great hwy car , the town car is a 2 wheel drive jeep very easy to run to the store park in a tite spot and very good on gas in town but to run to Houston with it , Not !

If I could afford it I would have a 2nd gen for the superslab , a 1st gen for the twisty and hill country and a dou-sport for a town bike !

A VR is great for traveling but it is not gravel friendly , you got to watch where you park it , backing it out is lots of fun !

Thom:2cents:

Not trying to diminish on your new MC, but a bigger question for all you guys who buy a scoot to ride around town. If you drive a Suburban or something else big, do you go buy a "Smart car", a "Geo metro" or some other cookie box to ride around town? NO! But lets go buy another scoot for around town, yeah; right!! Or as a backup in case the other bike has issues (like you have a back up car of course)

If you ride a full dress bike, what difference does it make if you go to the corner store or cross country? If you want to buy another bike, buy another bike and admit you "wanted" it.

I'm just saying ......:confused24:

You are way over analyzing this. I am calling it my around town ride because there is no way I'm going to ride a 883 sportster on a long trip even if I go solo!!!

And, I do drive a gas hog Jeep Wrangler 4x4 with over sized tires. and to compensate I bought an 883 Sportster.:smile5:

There was never any trying to justify it, I wanted a smaller, solo, cool bike. It was between a Sportster and a Triumph Bonneville, I found an 09 Sportster with less than 700 miles, not even broke in yet, for $5000.

It's OK Al,

If you want to ride a Harley, along with all those doctors, accountants and weekend warriors....:whistling:what business is it of ours?

Any negative comments are just out of envy anyway!:smile5:

Just enjoy it....and buy a bag of dry-rite just in case.

"its not a question of IF it leaks...rather WHEN it will leak!"

I find myself jumping on my '03 883R (solid mounted engine) more than I thought I would when I purchased it a few years back.

A friend of mine had no bike when we were planning on taking a mountain trip. So, he rode the R over 600 miles in two days. Didn't complain after the trip, but later admitted he ached for a day or two afterwards.

As far as having a second bike is concerned, to each his own I guess.

I personally can't think of a single reason anyone needs more than one ride. :ignore:

I would sure like to own another one. I don't want to get rid of the RSV but would like to add a Triumph 900 Scrambler to the stable...and a BMW GS Adventurer..and a .....

I need to win the lottery. It's not likely to happen though because I never buy tickets. :(

I own an '03 883 and I've had a '77 IronHead. Two different animals all together. The FE marked its territory and was raw boned and nasty, just the way God and Willie G. intended.

The newer "Evos" (aka Beer Cans) are good reliable bikes. They are fuel efficient (mine gets 50 MPG around town, and 60+ MPG highway), easy to maintain, and nimble.

Sportsters get a lot of bad press 'cause bonehead wannbees throw "performance parts" and money at 'em tryin' to make 'em into something they're not. Drag pipes, lowering kits, fancy-schmancy carbs, "hyper-flappy thingies," the list goes on...

By the same token, I've worked on and ridden metric bikes that were similarly afflicted with an ignoramus for an owner.

For me the bottom line is, it ain't the machine's fault.

I personally can't think of a single reason anyone needs more than one ride. :ignore:

Different bikes for different tasks, Dirt, dual sport, adventure, sport, sport touring, touring, cruising. I can't think of any reason why a person would want less than 7!!!!

hig4s,

I'm with you, I am similarly afflicted with MBS (multiple bike syndrome). My RSV has been my only ride for the last 3 years though, and I got the itch recently for something different. But I decided pretty quickly that the RSV was irreplaceable when I needed the advantages it offers, so I changed tactics and decided to see what's out there for around $3K. I ended up with a nice clean Honda Shadow 1100. I've had one before, so I knew it wasn't nearly as good a high mileage bike as the RSV, but for commuting in nice weather, and the occasional short "decompression" ride, its great.

So I'm very happy with the pair of bikes currently in my garage, I think they compliment each other very well. Like the candy bar commercial says, "sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't".

Rich