IGNORED

What's the difference between

BigBear

driving lights and passing lights?:confused24:

it's a matter of terminology ... some call them driving lights and others call them passing lights. It can also be related to when they are on (on with low beam or high beam). Frankly, I've never fully grasped the reasoning of calling them "passing" lights.

I some or most states a motorcycle may not have more than two headlights (Minnesota for sure) so the name driving or passing lights allows the three lights up front without a problem.

Passing and driving lights are one in the same to me.

Silly Wild A$$ Question: Why would you have the lights called passing lights? Do you put them on only when passing? DUH

I think it is all political speak to get around less than smart laws. But heck what do I know? :crying:

I think it is all political speak to get around less than smart laws.

:sign yeah that:

I agree with Bubber....probably just terminology to get around a dumb law.

But it could be based on the fact that many people flash their lights to alert the person in front that they intend to pass.

I thought that driving lights were intended to illuminate the road surface, while passing lamps "let you see what you are passing" -- ditches. Most driving lights that I have seen are rectangular with a more directed beam, while passing lamps scatter the beam more, so that I can see the deer that I am passing. It's not a matter of aim, it's a matter of beam pattern.

I'm not particularly interested in driving lights. I run my passing lamps full time.

Dave

I thought that driving lights were intended to illuminate the road surface, while passing lamps "let you see what you are passing" -- ditches. Most driving lights that I have seen are rectangular with a more directed beam, while passing lamps scatter the beam more, so that I can see the deer that I am passing. It's not a matter of aim, it's a matter of beam pattern.

I'm not particularly interested in driving lights. I run my passing lamps full time.

Dave

Now that's a great clarification ... one which I can "grasp" ! :thumbsup2:

So the '91 has hi/low beam auxilary lights controlled by a on-off-on toggle on the dash..... Are they passing or driving??? :confused07: :stirthepot:

Generally speaking, if you're passing, your gonna be driving too .... my concern is... what are they when you're just sitting??? :think: :rotf:

Found these two definitions online.

Driving Lights

Driving lights are used to supplement the high beams for greater distance and width; they should be used only in conjunction with the high beams. Aim the centers of the beams at the same level as your high beam tape marks on the wall. Keep in mind that the height requirements vary from state to state, as seen in the chart. In some states it is required that auxiliary lights respond automatically to the fluctuations of the high and low beams. In such cases, alterations to the wiring will be necessary.

As for the horizontal setting of the lights, this is a matter of personal preference. You might prefer lighting the sides of the road at a distance rather than concentrating the majority of light down the middle of the road.

Passing Lights

Passing lights are used to supplement the low beams to provide a more complete and uniform pattern. Aim the centers of the beams at the same level as your low-beam tape marks, or even slightly lower. Again, keep in mind that height requirements vary from state to state. Consult the enclosed chart and your local regulations.

The horizontal setting of the lights is a matter of personal preference. A slight overlap of the beams in the center will give evenly distributed light all the way across the road, as well as very good width. A greater overlap of the beams, on the other hand, will increase the center light and reduce the overall width of the lights.

Original website http://www.drivegreen.com/Auto_Service_26_Auxiliary_Lights.htm

Found these two definitions online.

Driving Lights

Driving lights are used to supplement the high beams for greater distance and width; they should be used only in conjunction with the high beams. Aim the centers of the beams at the same level as your high beam tape marks on the wall. Keep in mind that the height requirements vary from state to state, as seen in the chart. In some states it is required that auxiliary lights respond automatically to the fluctuations of the high and low beams. In such cases, alterations to the wiring will be necessary.

As for the horizontal setting of the lights, this is a matter of personal preference. You might prefer lighting the sides of the road at a distance rather than concentrating the majority of light down the middle of the road.

Passing Lights

Passing lights are used to supplement the low beams to provide a more complete and uniform pattern. Aim the centers of the beams at the same level as your low-beam tape marks, or even slightly lower. Again, keep in mind that height requirements vary from state to state. Consult the enclosed chart and your local regulations.

The horizontal setting of the lights is a matter of personal preference. A slight overlap of the beams in the center will give evenly distributed light all the way across the road, as well as very good width. A greater overlap of the beams, on the other hand, will increase the center light and reduce the overall width of the lights.

Original website http://www.drivegreen.com/Auto_Service_26_Auxiliary_Lights.htm

Hence the expression "one accurate fact would kill this conversation"

Question:

If you were traveling at speed of light and you reached down and turned on your driving lights, would you be able to see them....?

:confused24::rotf:

The light would be travelling at twice the speed of light....or just slightly faster than a 1st gen.

Well, I hate to break the news to all you "guys", but your all wrong....

They are called "driving lights" if you own a 1st gen.

(Rumor has it that most 1st genners are half blind so they need that extra boost of light source)

They are called "passing lights" if you own a 2nd gen.

(Most 2nd gen owners are more sleek and racy, er ... um...I mean 2nd gens. Although passing lights are not needed, especially if you own a midnight, they give it a classier, upgraded look)

:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

Although passing lights are not needed,

..... you left the door wide open on that statement.... so .... to complete the statement and close the door ... "Although passing lights are not needed because nothing gets in front of us ... not even those ... uh ... whatchamacallits (first gens)" :rotf::rasberry::witch_brew:

Pretty sure they are parking lights on that ol matag aren't they? LOL

I'd be most careful agreeing with Bubber...you could get into some deep doo-doo :crackup:

My eyes are brown if that is any indication of my present situation! LOL :missingtooth:

Yup, you are full of it...... :stirthepot: